Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Felipe Pepe at Gamasutra: Why are we abandoning gaming history?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you've been following the discussion on our forums, you've probably already heard about Codexer Felipe Pepe's CRPG Book Project. It's an ambitious undertaking that aims to chronicle the history of the genre and shine a spotlight on its most notable entries via short reviews crowdsourced from the community. Recently, the project has begun to receive some mainstream media attention, such as this short blurb at Kotaku from last month, while celebrity reviewers such as Tim Cain and Chris Avellone have pitched in to contribute. Now, Felipe has followed that publicity up impressively with a fantastic editorial over at Gamasutra, entitled "Amnesiac Heroes: Why are we abandoning gaming history?". Here's a quote:

In 2012, Frank Cifaldi published here on Gamasutra an article on how poorly gamign history is being kept, exemplified by how we don’t even know when Super Mario Bros. was released in the US. He ended his article by saying “If this is the state of video game preservation in 2012, 50 years after Spacewar!, we're in trouble”. I couldn’t agree more.

While researching CRPG history, I was shocked at how the old editions of the now defunct Computer Gaming World magazine are still one of the best sources for anything pre-Windows. At how articles often omit sources and citations. At the amount of misinformation circulating the web. At how only a handful of few websites and individuals, such as Matt Barton , The RPG Codex and The CRPG Addict, actually work towards preserving our history. At how I have to explain that Fallout 3 had two games before it.

Think for a moment on what is commonly said about pre-90’s CRPGs, on what the younger generations have heard about: Wasteland is the grand-father of Fallout Wasteland 2; Rogue lead to roguelikes; Pool of Radiance “became” Baldur’s Gate and Ultima IV was made by that weird guy that went to space and did a kickstarter recently. That’s all you’re likely to find about the first 16 years of CRPGs in the mainstream media, almost half of our history. And there’s a good chance that it was written by people that never actually played those games.

Cinema is over a century old, yet it’s expected for any decent critic or self-proclaimed enthusiast to have a knowledge ranging from ancient classics such as Battleship Potemkin and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari to recent movies only shown at foreign festivals. If you tried to write about cinema having watched only post-90’s movies and one or two older Disney animations, you would be nothing more than a joke. Renting Citizen Kane once, or the fact that you grew up watching movies, aren't remarkable achievements in a serious industry.

So how can we ask others to respect games as art, when even gamers and industry professionals don’t bother to learn about its history?

Why it’s that gaming, with such a short existence, is already forgetting its past? Why people that proudly call themselves "hardcore gamers" are ignorant and wary of anything more than a decade old? Why do we accept people writing about games that they only read on Wikipedia or watched a Let’s Play? Yes, believe me, its plain obvious that someone that struggles to understand Ultima Underworld’s interface isn’t “a long time Ultima fan”.

Recently, with the kickstarter frenzy, old names came back from exile and many tales of their past glories were told – usually with very detailed descriptions, such as “the classic old-school game X”. But no one bothers to ask about the ones that never returned. There's no research, no fact checking. It’s always easier to interview the legendary Lord British that mailed you to promote his new game than to go after the long-forgotten Lord Wood, who revealed he was working a fifth Phantasie game a year ago and no one noticed. In 2011, Wizardry’s 30th Anniversary was greeted with a big event in Japan, yet I challenge you to find a single article in western gaming media celebrating the date, interviewing developers or bringing any information to their audience that didn't came from Wizardry Online's press release.

Hell, a group of over 30 professional game journalists recently wrote a book listing 1001 games you should play before dying, yet didn't include a single Wizardry, Might & Magic, King's Quest or Gold Box title. Again, one thousand and one games listed, yet there's no room for some of the biggest and most influential series of the past.

So I must ask: when the media say that they don't talk about older games because the audience has no interest in them, is it a proven fact or a self-fulfilling prophecy? People can’t crave what they never heard about.
Read the whole thing there. And if you'd like to contribute to Felipe's book, be sure to check out our dedicated subforum.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
P.S. felipepepe I see you encountered a Sawyerist in the comments. :P Although it doesn't seem that he likes Pillars much.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I would have also mentioned something about how publishers (and seemingly everyone) magically forgets about previous games in a series.

This is why they get away with shit like calling the 5th Prince of Persia game "Prince of Persia 2", and the 7th one "Prince of Persia". Or how Bioshock is a "spiritual successor" to SS2 (still laughing at that one) but no-one ever mentions System Shock.

Loved the comment about "long-time fans" though, spot on.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Where's the archived version? Not going to support a game site that promotes harassment :troll:

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
People don't mention System Shock as it was way ahead of its time and if we start talking about it the whole industry will have to admit to a huge loss of IQ and gaming intelligence. We still haven't caught it up. Didn't SS have this little camera thing that allowed you to see what was behind you? It had a little map and an excellent interface that allowed you to do one million things.

I kept hold of my Terra Nova game CD for about ten yours to see what that game would be like but my Mrs chucked it away.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
:salute: Felipe

ranging from ancient classics such as Battleship Potemkin and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Missed a chance for a Citizen Kane reference here. Or would that have been in poor taste? I dunno lol

Weasel
If you tried to write about cinema having watched only post-90’s movies and one or two older Disney animations, you would be nothing more than a joke.

:salute: (I've recently been encountering more of those sorts of "jokes" writing on film too, guess retardation is spreading)

Enjoyed the article.

Divinity: Original Sin
I would have also mentioned something about how publishers (and seemingly everyone) magically forgets about previous games in a series.

This is why they get away with shit like calling the 5th Prince of Persia game "Prince of Persia 2", and the 7th one "Prince of Persia". Or how Bioshock is a "spiritual successor" to SS2 (still laughing at that one) but no-one ever mentions System Shock.

I rejoice in how felipe compared gaming industry with movie industry. Movie Studio make shit movies nowadays, but they aways release "Special Collectors Deluxe all DLC blu-ray 6D" of old movies, and big gaming companies just try to make us forget about old games. The movie industry is a hundred year old industry that already lived through various phases, and nowadays, its kind of behaving itself like its gaming counterpart: Everytime you get a sequel for new movie, the creator brag about how obsolete the original movie is compared to this one. Of course, this happens mostly with blockbuster franchises, but the movie industry is wide, wider than the gaming industry. That's how you still see people in movie business still mentioning their old favorites as inspiration.

In gaming, it happens that sometimes, a year old game is already considered old and obsolete. The indie scene and the kickstarter nostalgia brings that other side of bringing back old memories, but that's a recent trend.

I see as if the movie industry is an old and experienced man that got very rich by doing his hard work and having competence to keep up there, while game industry is as if a teenager became bilionaire very fast, surpassing that old man cinema, and now that old men is having trouble trying to keep up against the young arrogant boy, and falling to the same agressive tactics of this new generation.

Ninjerk

Arcane

I rejoice in how felipe compared gaming industry with movie industry. Movie Studio make shit movies nowadays, but they aways release "Special Collectors Deluxe all DLC blu-ray 6D" of old movies, and big gaming companies just try to make us forget about old games. The movie industry is a hundred year old industry that already lived through various phases, and nowadays, its kind of behaving itself like its gaming counterpart: Everytime you get a sequel for new movie, the creator brag about how obsolete the original movie is compared to this one. Of course, this happens mostly with blockbuster franchises, but the movie industry is wide, wider than the gaming industry. That's how you still see people in movie business still mentioning their old favorites as inspiration.

In gaming, it happens that sometimes, a year old game is already considered old and obsolete. The indie scene and the kickstarter nostalgia brings that other side of bringing back old memories, but that's a recent trend.

I see as if the movie industry is an old and experienced man that got very rich by doing his hard work and having competence to keep up there, while game industry is as if a teenager became bilionaire very fast, surpassing that old man cinema, and now that old men is having trouble trying to keep up against the young arrogant boy, and falling to the same agressive tactics of this new generation.
At least in the movie industry there are critics who know something about the history of games. Also worth mentioning that they take care of their people.

Divinity: Original Sin
Other thing I notice about games and movies is that reviews from critics working on non-movie magazines and newspapers are on the level of the ones by critics working on movie/entertainment magazines. You can imagine a roger ebert, leonard maltin kind of guy working for Entertainment Weekly or Empire Magazine, or Time, Newsweek, The Times, etc, and his views will aways be coherent.

In games, there's a diference in how games are portrayed in these media: Specialized media the critics act like intelligent nerds that understand the vocabullary of the reader, while critics in non-specialized magazines talk of games as if talking about children's toy, or how close to virtual reality games got, and things that woul interest the parents of these kids who play videogames this days.

I was baffled when I saw a "Game Journalist" writing about games in a famous weekly news magazine (VEJA) here in Brazil, and it looked like she was talking about toys. After reading the name of the reviewer, it was one that wrote regularlly in a monthly videogame magazine (EGM-brasil), and she posed as the most addicted gamer of all, talking in a language every game would understand.

Overal, that's also a problem with this gaming industry: It's just glorified toys in the view of the general population. Movies, on the other hand, are enjoyed by kids and grandmas all over the world.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Even better than the article is felipepepe's response:

Recently Josh Sawyer made a post about this on Kotaku, about "How to Balance an RPG". He's the lead designer on Pillars of Eternity, a spiritual sequel to Baldur's Gate, and that made me sad. BG was extremely unbalanced, and I loved that.

I loved to plan out my party, make solo runs with "bad" classes, to be teased by a weapon that my current party can't equip (and incorporate it on my next playthrough). If you go to hardcore RPG forums, you'll see that I'm not alone. There's a running joke on the RPG Codex that "Josh Sawyer wants to end fun!!1", precisely because of that.

And that's my grudge with modern gaming. Yes, I know that a lot of people don't like that. They don't want to fail on party creation, they want to see all in a single playthrough, they hate cursed items and nasty surprises. But I don't! And for more than a decade, there were no games for those like me!

Take a look at Dark Souls, for example. At people doing runs using only crossbows, at soul level 1, with fist weapons, with silly armors, and all those "badly balanced" choices. They love that! There's a lively community built around that, these are the people that played that game the most!

The fact that most Japanese developers don't adhere to modern design school is why I love them so much. You can still find surprises such as unlockable secrets, New Game+, hidden tough bosses and all those "outdated" things that vanished from western gaming.

That's why I call modern gaming "pasteurized". You say that it became a science, I say that it became standardized. Yes, the designers of yore didn't have unified theories, and that was great; it allowed them to explore and challenge definitions. We had wonders like System Shock 2 precisely because of that.

It was a frontier era, that expanded our horizons to places that we don't visit anymore. And that's a damn shame.

:salute: I couldn't say it better and agree 100%.

SniperHF

Arcane
Something not touched upon is the part the PC enthusiast culture played in forgetting older game design styles/lessons. This doesn't apply to CRPGs as much since they were never as bleeding edge. But older action games and shooters are largely forgotten due to the nature of the audience. I think this is because in PC circles unlike console games, there isn't a large set of gamers (not just the people covering them) who were there reminding people of what older titles achieved. Those same people who played and enjoyed older titles are simply less likely to be fixated on recreating those experience. Always looking for the newest "better" thing themselves. Because those people who were PC gaming at the time when this trend started from say the mid-late 90's to the plateauing of 3d graphics in the mid 2000's were likely to be part of that enthusiast culture. When PCs were much more expensive than now, and getting new hardware was $1500-$2000 investment. That type of person didn't notice when games like Unreal stopped being sophisticated and became a series of tubes with shitty voice acting like Unreal 2.

Tying back to the journalism/reviewer angle, these type of sites are funded by advertising from likes of AMD, Nvidia, and Intel. So in the early 2000's you had an entire generation of gamers subject to this cycle. Everything you read was subject to that line of thinking. Review sites being largely funded by the PC industry, it was in their interest to do so. Whether intentional or not. I agree with the premise that it's in part due to the critical side of the industry lacking perspective. But I also think the inherent culture created by the enthusiast PC community is actually more at fault.

Basically blame graphics whores.

I don't find this trend nearly as prevalent in console circles. Sure it's still there but you can find many more people willing to break out old 8-16 bit platformers than fire up DOSBOX. Part of this is accessibility with things like virtual console which outpaced PC equivalents. But I think it has a lot to do with the timing of each industry. Consoles working on a release cycle so there is less of a drive to seek the new and completely forget about the old. Until the PC side started following console releases it was a meat grinder. You needed a new graphics card every year and a half and your PC cost a couple pay checks. That type of person isn't remembering because they really don't care to remember. You can go to pretty much any console gaming haven and find massive debates over 2d vs 3d Zelda. The PC gaming equivalent of that doesn't exist except in places like the Codex because the side of the community that cared about gameplay was inherently smaller.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Something not touched upon is the part the PC enthusiast culture played in forgetting older game design styles/lessons. This doesn't apply to CRPGs as much since they were never as bleeding edge. But older action games and shooters are largely forgotten due to the nature of the audience. I think this is because in PC circles unlike console games, there isn't a large set of gamers (not just the people covering them) who were there reminding people of what older titles achieved. Those same people who played and enjoyed older titles are simply less likely to be fixated on recreating those experience. Always looking for the newest "better" thing themselves. Because those people who were PC gaming at the time when this trend started from say the mid-late 90's to the plateauing of 3d graphics in the mid 2000's were likely to be part of that enthusiast culture. When PCs were much more expensive than now, and getting new hardware was $1500-$2000 investment. That type of person didn't notice when games like Unreal stopped being sophisticated and became a series of tubes with shitty voice acting like Unreal 2.

Tying back to the journalism/reviewer angle, these type of sites are funded by advertising from likes of AMD, Nvidia, and Intel. So in the early 2000's you had an entire generation of gamers subject to this cycle. Everything you read was subject to that line of thinking. Review sites being largely funded by the PC industry, it was in their interest to do so. Whether intentional or not. I agree with the premise that it's in part due to the critical side of the industry lacking perspective. But I also think the inherent culture created by the enthusiast PC community is actually more at fault.

Basically blame graphics whores.

I don't find this trend nearly as prevalent in console circles. Sure it's still there but you can find many more people willing to break out old 8-16 bit platformers than fire up DOSBOX. Part of this is accessibility with things like virtual console which outpaced PC equivalents. But I think it has a lot to do with the timing of each industry. Consoles working on a release cycle so there is less of a drive to seek the new and completely forget about the old. Until the PC side started following console releases it was a meat grinder. You needed a new graphics card every year and a half and your PC cost a couple pay checks. That type of person isn't remembering because they really don't care to remember. You can go to pretty much any console gaming haven and find massive debates over 2d vs 3d Zelda. The PC gaming equivalent of that doesn't exist except in places like the Codex because the side of the community that cared about gameplay was inherently smaller.

So PC gaming was evil all along? ;)

You make some good points - "technology whoring" was definitely a thing in the 90s that hurt PC gaming. It's what killed Ultima. But I also think that towards the end of that period, gameplay and technology on the PC caught up with each other in a good way. Games like Deus Ex were the culmination of a PC gaming industry that had finally grasped the possibilities of 3D - and then came the Xbox and deep-sixed the series.

Did PC gamers and "PC gaming enthusiasts" not appreciate Deus Ex? I wouldn't say that. But I guess I can agree that it's one reason why PC games from the 80s and early 90s are relatively forgotten.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
I think any media is not excluded from this problem. Movies didn't start with potemkin they were waaaay before but we simply either don't have actually them anymore or we simply forgot about them.

With media mature comes need for archiving older important stuff.

Zeriel

Arcane
Felipe Pepe should be the new sex idol of the Codex, he's far more kawaii and spot-on than Avellone.

SJeW

Novice
P.S. felipepepe I see you encountered a Sawyerist in the comments. :P Although it doesn't seem like he likes Pillars much.
Thy matron, knave! Balance!=make everything some bland flavor of "+0.004% damage vs popamoles".

I've spent an extensive period of time lurking the forums of this prestigious magazine and know of Felipe's storied past. I just never bothered posting until you mentioned me because I know my SjeWery will get me banned in approximately 5 minutes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom