Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Feargus Urquhart on the possibilities for a New Vegas 2

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout: New Vegas; Feargus Urquhart; Obsidian Entertainment

Nathan Grayson of Rock Paper Shotgun continues to reveal tidbits from his interview with Feargus Urquhart at DICE. In a snippet from the interview posted today, Feargus shares his thoughts about a possible sequel to 2010's Fallout: New Vegas. It's interesting to know that despite past grievances, Obsidian and Bethesda are "definitely on good terms".

“If I think of going from Fallout 1 to Fallout 2, we tried to associate the two areas somewhat closely,” he explained to RPS. “It wasn’t just ‘Oh, we’re gonna do this 2,000 miles from here.’ So I think if we were to do Fallout: New Vegas 2 – or just a new Fallout – we would probably separate it from what the internal team at Bethesda’s doing. We’d keep it on the West Coast, because we’re West Coast people. They’re East Coast, so it makes sense.”​

“And we need an interesting confined area. So I mean, it could be LA. Fallout LA. That could be interesting. It’d probably be The Boneyard, which is from Fallout 1. It could be very different. It could be almost a Walking Dead meets Fallout-like thing because of all the radiation.”​

Which, of course, sounds pretty damn enticing. But there’s a lot more to making a bombed-out wasteland than, well, dropping some bombs. Red tape abounds, and Urquhart didn’t deny that it’s kind of a kick in the head. But Obsidian and Bethesda are definitely on good terms, so there’s plenty of hope.​

“We talk to Bethesda all the time,” he said. “And I think the challenge here doesn’t just apply to Bethesda specifically, but to a lot of publishers in general. But basically, what does all the [current] console crap mean? The challenge in this period of time has been, you have this console transition, and it’s strange that they’re still not announced. But that always creates a disruption in the industry. And now you mix in [the emergence of] mobile and F2P stuff, and it’s left a lot of people reeling.”​

“So that’s a lot of the conversation we’ve had with publishers. ‘OK, how do we get back to normal – whatever normal is going to be.’ That’s just the process right now.”​

Hopefully Obsidian can survive the next-gen console blues. The full interview with Feargus should be posted on RPS sometime soon.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  2. CappenVarra Phantasmist

CappenVarra
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    So they are pitching possible AAA projects left and right (in public interviews instead of direct talks with the publishers)? Wasn't soliciting illegal? Their Dr. Jekyll (Kickstarter renaissance) and Mr. Hyde (Star Wars! FO:NV2!) sides keep getting more disparate... Or so it seems to me.

^ Top  
  3. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    They should approach Bethesda and do a tun-based isometric Fallout spin-off.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I don't think there's really a fully formed pitch for New Vegas 2. It's just..."talks".

I think the guys at Bethesda for all their faults kind of like Obsidian and want to work with them.

^ Top  
  5. Wizfall Arbiter

Wizfall
    Parrots:
    I did not realize until now how it seems to be difficult to create a new IP.
    Depressing.

^ Top  
  6. himmy Arcane

himmy
    Parrots:
    Nuthin' but an 'RPG' Thang

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    Parrots:
    Gotta keep the team busy.

^ Top  
  8. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    This could actually work in the current climate... hnnng

^ Top  
  9. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Indeed they should.

A mid budget standalone title that doesn't even try to reach everybody, but does its own thing with utmost polish in its focal points.

^ Top  
  10. Lancehead Liturgist

Lancehead
    Parrots:
    Short of rebooting the IP, this would get me excited for a new Fallout.

^ Top  
  11. dnf Pedophile Dumbfuck Shitposter

dnf
    Parrots:
    Bethesda only cares about FPS's or TPS's, so its either AAA or bust

^ Top  
  12. Quigs Magister

Quigs
    Parrots:
    I wonder how much the license itself would cost.

^ Top  
  13. Tommy Wiseau Arcane

Tommy Wiseau
    Parrots:
    Walking Dead meets Fallout-like thing? :thumbsup:

^ Top  
  14. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Libera te tutemet ex inferis. NO.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I thought it was obvious that saying "we are talking to Bethesda/LucasArts/Disney" mean that they are in direct talks with the publishers and pitching the ideas to them. THEN they make public interviews.

^ Top  
  16. TripJack Prestigious Gentleman Hedonist

TripJack
    Parrots:
    they won't be permitted to do anything until bethesda finishes the F4 abomination

yeah no thanks

fat chance

^ Top  
  17. Seerix Arbiter

Seerix
    Parrots:
    What? Why would they announce new consoles when old ones are still getting both Sony and Microsoft fuckloads of money?

^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Well, some developers want it: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...mot_New_consoles_are_overdue.php#.URqHex2sh8E

^ Top  
  19. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Man I hate this "teaser interview excerpts" bullshit. When did this become the norm??

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    I hate it because it means I have to sift through and post about the same content twice. :P

^ Top  
  21. mikaelis Prophet Patron

mikaelis
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    Ah Feargus, poor boy... Attaching last year's everybody's whore to your Fallout does not necessarily make sense...

^ Top  
  22. Wise Emperor Cipher

Wise Emperor
    Parrots:
    Obsidian : Will Work For Food

^ Top  
  23. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    Parrots:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)