Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus Urquhart feargs out at Red Bull Games, reveals Obsidian turned down Game of Thrones RPG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

There's a new interview with Feargus Urquhart over at Red Bull Games. The main topic of the interview seems to be Obsidian's decision to use a "generic high fantasy" setting for Pillars of Eternity, which in typical Feargus fashion leads to some interesting relevations. Here's an excerpt:

If these games weren’t what people wanted, their creators wouldn’t have taken penny one. But we’d suggest that the success of Kickstarter the gaming platform can be celebrated once a game without feet so firmly planted in the PC classics of yore can pull in the same amount of money. Could these games’ creators have pitched something completely novel to potential backers, and come away with the same amounts of cash? Was Pillars of Eternity – a spruced up fantasy CRPG for the crowdfunding age – pitched because it was the game that developer Obsidian wanted to make? Or because CEO Feargus Urquhart and his team knew it would be the easiest Kickstarter sell?

“To be honest, it’s a bit of [both],” Urquhart tells Red Bull in the aftermath of the game’s release. “Part of it was the reality that Brian [Fargo] had already done Wasteland, which was post-apocalyptic, Harebrained [Schemes] had already done Shadowrun, which was fantasy and cyberpunk. For us, it seemed like the best opportunity was fantasy.

“[But] more importantly, a lot of us all came up in the D&D world. I had the privilege of making D&D games from 1996 until 2008… Fantasy is also something we love – I loved working on the Baldur’s Gates with Bioware. So part of it is that we’re making Pillars because that’s probably the best place we can be as a business. But look, hey, [we also said:] 'It feels like there’s an opportunity here, to make something we love and we want to make'. So luckily, we were able to line both those up with Pillars.”

The success that Pillars of Eternity has enjoyed since its release at the end of March has been staggering, sitting on a Metascore – from both critics and users – that would make most triple-A publishers cry under their mahogany desks. But its roots in classic RPGs raise an interesting question: when you’re selling your game (before it’s even been made) on the promise that it’s like what’s gone before, does keeping that promise restrict the sorts of creative decisions you get to make in its development? In simpler terms: would people back a fantasy game without elves, dwarves and haunted ruins full of loot?

“I don’t look at it as a standard high fantasy game being restrictive,” Urquhart says. “The way I look at it is, it’s not wrong for people to want that sort of high fantasy – it’s comfortable. I can more quickly immerse myself in this world because I understand orcs and elves and dragons and zombies and liches, and that’s what we do.

“But there needs to be different stuff as well. We’ve done different styles of fantasy games: go back to [erstwhile RPG publisher] Black Isle and you’ve got Icewind Dale, which had a very different focus, and Planescape Torment, which a different focus on top of that. That’s how we look at it, you know, ‘do we always want to make a high fantasy game?’ No. But it’s fun to do.”

Fantasy as a genre has changed a lot since the PC RPG heyday. But while Pillars is about complexity and had the fortune (and guile) to launch its Kickstarter in September 2012, just a few months after the wrap of Game of Thrones season 2, it’s Lord of the Rings to which Urquhart says the team owes the most credit (particularly Peter Jackson, and “his belief in Lord of the Rings as not just something that the nerds love”). In fact, around eight years ago, Obsidian actually turned down the opportunity to do the first Game of Thrones RPG.

“I don’t know if the project would have ever happened,” says Urquhart, candidly, “but we were approached by a big publisher, and they had the Game of Thrones licence at the time. And I love Game of Thrones – it’s an incredibly rich story and world and obviously the characterisation is amazing. But, there’s a couple of things about it that are challenging if you want to make a roleplaying game.

“Part of it was very interesting to us because of the focus on characters, and that’s kind of what we do. But if you think about the world, it’s so much about the politics and it’s so much about the linear story of what’s going on. Then you tie that to magic playing a very little role, and to be honest, [the story is] mostly [about] people. There’s not a lot of standard role-playing fantasy things, [like] putting an adventuring party together and going to find the abandoned ruins full of zombies and witches and ghosts and spectres and ghouls and all that kind of stuff.

“My recommendation at the time was that it would make a better RTS [real-time strategy game], or something like an RTS. Again, a geopolitical, war simulation-type game.” (Something which, incidentally, now exists: in the form of this mod for medieval RTS Crusader Kings 2).​

See the full interview for more thoughts from Feargus on balancing the generic with the unique, on how Obsidian would do a "Skyrim Kickstarter" (again), and on the recent Steam paid mods controversy. Ah, Feargus. I do wonder if it's really as simple as Obsidian "turning down" that Game of Thrones offer, though.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
“Part of it was very interesting to us because of the focus on characters, and that’s kind of what we do. But if you think about the world, it’s so much about the politics and it’s so much about the linear story of what’s going on. Then you tie that to magic playing a very little role, and to be honest, [the story is] mostly [about] people. There’s not a lot of standard role-playing fantasy things, [like] putting an adventuring party together and going to find the abandoned ruins full of zombies and witches and ghosts and spectres and ghouls and all that kind of stuff.
:hmmm:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Remember what you said recently about oldschool games being stupid fun? I get the impression that Feargus is an oldschool kind of guy.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

Duh, don't you know that fantasy is about riding on horseback killing things?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
It's really hard to believe they would turn down the GoT IP because of lack of high magic etc. For starters, GoT does have undead, witches, necromancers, wargs, magic (red priests etc) even if these are not the predominant theme of the setting. Considering that even that Cyanide GoT RPG wasn't that bad in the story department, one can only wonder what Obsidian could have done with it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I said that Wasteland and many other "old school" RPGs were stupid fun, but not all of them. Considering that Black Isle/Obsidian created some of the best RPGs and that their RPGs are associated with quality role-playing and dialogues and focus on character, the remark above is very strange. It's something you'd expect to hear from Bethesda not Obsidian.

Role-playing for us is a party of adventurers exploring abandoned ruins full of zombies and witches and ghosts and spectres and ghouls and all that kind of stuff?

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
slam-dunk.gif

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I said that Wasteland and many other "old school" RPGs were stupid fun, but not all of them. Considering that Black Isle/Obsidian created some of the best RPGs and that their RPGs are associated with quality role-playing and dialogues and focus on character, the remark above is very strange. It's something you'd expect to hear from Bethesda not Obsidian.

Maybe so, but it's consistent with things Feargus has said before. For example, in one interview, when asked whether Obsidian shouldn't be making Telltale-style games about characters etc, Feargus said he was a "traditional D&D guy who wanted to kill monsters", or something like that. I'll try to find it.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Defending Fergie a little, no way in hell he would let Game of Thrones escape if the project had a real chance to become reality. Fergie is talking more about his personal tastes than his decision making process at Obsidian when talks about Game of Thrones. Probably the publisher was offering too little or the talks never passed the initial phase.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Here it is, from February 2013: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=8787

RPS: [...] do you look at something like Walking Dead and think, “Well, if we really want to focus on the choices, let’s strip out the combat and just make a story”?

Feargus Urquhart: That’s hard. I don’t want to say I’m a traditionalist, but my upbringing is Dungeons and Dragons. [...] As it relates to something like taking the combat out, this is where there’s probably better game designers and smarter people than me who could come up with an incredible system for that. But you know what? I personally enjoy that aspect. I like running around Skyrim and going into dungeons and killing skeletons. It makes me feel like this fantasy character. I don’t know that it would feel the same way. Maybe the answer there is that there are genres where it makes sense that combat is being put in, but combat exists particularly in fantasy role-playing games because that’s kind of where it came from. It was a tactical game. It’s more of an ingrained part of why that experience ever was there. But I think for other things it can absolutely get taken out, simplified. But it has to be replaced with something.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wonder how much magic will be in that Breakfast Club RPG MCA is always talking about?

himmy

Arcane
Of course they pulled out of a Game of Thrones RPG. You need to shoot down some offers if you want to focus on making Russian tank MMOs.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guess the Obsidian people are afraid of tits (which GoT has plenty of).
Oh, well... it seems the Witcher still gets to keep the Tit Trophy.
6546088.jpg

Weasel
Feargus talking about D&D and Baldur's Gate again? Someone tell him the KS is over (unless it's prep for the next one I guess).

Athelas

Arcane
Feargus talking about D&D and Baldur's Gate again? Someone tell him the KS is over (unless it's prep for the next one I guess).
It would be rather difficult not to talk about them considering he was being interviewed about them.

Athelas

Arcane
Which is better: making RPG's under the oppressive yoke of publishers or making RPG's under the oppressive yoke of Feargus? :philosoraptor:

mondblut

Arcane

bonescraper

Hahaha, fuck Obsidian. This could be their next FNV, but they turned it down because it doesn't contain enough high fantasy cliches? Really?

SouthParkTheStickOfTruth.jpg

REALLY?!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom