Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus Urquhart confirms Pillars of Eternity 2 in development, plus a new Cain/Boyarsky game

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Note that Gamepressure say "Kickstarter" but Feargus just says "crowdfunding". They're probably making an incorrect assumption, but we'll have to see the full interview to be sure.
It will be Fig.

Do Fig allow the little people to invest yet? That could be fun.

Ask for space opera sci-fi, not post-apoc.

I'd rather have just sci-fi without that space opera part.

I'd rather have opera without the space. Turn Based Phantom of the Opera. Just think about it.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
PoE 2 will have New Vegas style DLCs.
images

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I would welcome PoE2, provided Obsidian does another pass on combat mechanics and possibly character development.

And more than one pass on the writing.
I actually enjoyed PoE's writing for what it was worth (I know I am the minority here). I enjoyed the infighting and backstabbing between the gods, the way the dialogue changed based on your background, and the fact that your character's soul has run into Thaos over multiple lifetimes. Where I think PoE fell short was the companion and the Watcher rpg elements (in contrast see Mask of the Betrayer).

For PoE2, I hope the RPG mechanic is essentially what Thaos did over the course of the plot. He manipulated cultures over lifetimes and could possess people.

Edit: Perhaps I deserve shit for this opinion, but I would kill if Obsidian made being a Watcher akin to Ravenor/Eisenhorn from 40k. Just let the player investigate a town with mind/soul reading and manipulate events with possession/mind control.

The interesting thing about Eora is that all of the people living there *think* they are living in the Forgotten Realms, with the nature of good and evil and the meaning of the life/cosmos/everything settled in a nice place, but in their case the comforting explanations are an illusion. At the barest level the world they live in isn't so different from the player occupies. However, it took so long to build up to this idea that the first Pillars of Eternity didn't interrogate it aggressively.

Some aspects of White March suggest the sequel might be a bit better about this though.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Breaking PoE expansion was a mistake, it generated costs and more work, PoE 2 will have New Vegas style DLCs. Obsidian is using time to improve thetools for PoE 2.
Lol, TWM is the best part of PoE (I would say the only really good part), and that was a mistake? The quality of PoE 2 depends on what aspects of PoE they will choose to develop on and on how much time for development they will be allowed, but statements like this make me highly suspicious.

Fuck, Feargus, you got $4 mil out of the public just riding on BG nostalgia, released a half-baked beta of a game, which you haven't even fully patched by the time you announce a sequel, and you're bitching that the expansion - the only piece of the game that washes the shame - didn't bring you enough income? Fuck you.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I suppose it's just desserts for abandoning the traditional expansion in the first place in favor of a DLC to a DLC formula

Last edited:
Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
You PoE/Obs haters are so fucking whiny. PoE is one of the KS-Games with the best post-release support, so what exactly is your point? There's no logical argument here for saying Obs shouldn't announce PoE 2 before releasing the final patch for its predecessor, it's just your emotions again.

About the expansion: it's a shame but it seems The White March was not a financial success for Obsidian. Feargus is talking from a business perspective here. Traditional expansion packs are dying out, you can thank the assholes who invented DLCs and the retards who keep buying/defending them.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Post release support is a plus for people who like chewing on turds and for developers' groupies.

Good and stable releases done on schedule are for people who actually care about what they are playing and have invested their backer's pledge, time & energy to playtest.

I'd rather not play a buggy mess in the first place, thanks.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Post release support is a plus for people who like chewing on turds and for developers' groupies.

Good and stable releases done on schedule are for people who actually care about what they are playing and have invested their backer's pledge, time & energy to playtest.

I'd rather not play a buggy mess in the first place, thanks.
There's your problem, bro.

People who think doing any QA on a game is going to make them have more fun with said game are almost always wrong. It's one of the worst jobs to have if you ever want to play the game you're working on.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The Dying Earth sub-genre has been seriously ignored by crpg creators so far.

Funny, when you consider how much influence Vance has had on rpgs in general.

The Demon Princes are Vance's best books in my opinion, though turning that into a game is not something I trust Obsidian with. The Dying Earth is probably easier to turn into a game.

Also, why isn't any Western studio buying the rights to a Wizardry sequel? Do you people hate money?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As for the small team's project, I'd be happy with a new cookbook, with a lot of pie recipes.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Can someone tell me what was good about The White March? I didn't bother playing it because I didn't want to play the main game again.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Looking forward to PoE2.

I hope they will improve the Disposition system, the idea was good but the implementation could definitely be improved upon.

Sizzle

Arcane
Can someone tell me what was good about The White March? I didn't bother playing it because I didn't want to play the main game again.

Improved encounter design. Still too much filler trash combat, but sprinkled here and there with some actually challenging fights.

They've tried to do something different with the Soulbound weapons, and while they are a good idea in theory - it relies too much on pointless grinding to be fun.

A lot of new content, including an entire quest, has been added to the Keep. The place still doesn't feel like you really are a Lord of an impressive and important fortification, but at least now it isn't entirely pointless and boring.

The new NPCs are nothing special - Zahua is sorta interesting, the Devil of Caroc is nothing special, and Maneha is the single worst NPC in the entire game.

With this expansion, Obsidian has finally started properly tying quests to your special Watcher status, so expect a lot of opportunities to use your powers in quests and conversations. Also, there are many more CYOA screens, I think it was said somewhere that there are more of them in TWM than in the entire game.

Besides all that, there was a big patch (3.0) which changed many things about the game, so if you've enjoyed PoE at all, I reckon you should probably try it with TWM, at least to see what has changed. Even people here who fervently dislike it can't deny it's changed a lot for the better.

Still far from perfect, but a very different beast from back when it was first released.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, why isn't any Western studio buying the rights to a Wizardry sequel? Do you people hate money?

I'd say the relatively lukewarm reception of Might and Magic X and The Bard's Tale 4 kickstarter were enough of a signal that Wizardry 9 wouldn't be that much of a cash cow.

Notorious

Augur
I'm somewhat looking forward to Pillars 2, even though I had mixed feelings on the first one. There is much to improve.

Potential Cain/Boyarsky game makes me obviously curious but I won't get excited until they announce more.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
In my opinion, it's just better in terms of the fights, the quest design, and the Watcher RPG mechanics. I also believe Durgan's Battery has the best atmosphere in the game. You slowly descend into the dwarven ruins, and you see the ghosts of the dwarves in their last moments. You get to piece together what happened to them. In comparison, I think it makes the base game look rushed.

It's a mid-level adventure if I remember correctly, and so you do not need to replay the entire game to access the locations.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
White March had better encounter design. Also, nostalgia factor because it was inspired by Icewind Dale and many people like it. I think it's nothing special though.

Отправлено с моего SM-A510F через Tapatalk

kris

Arcane
Seriously, what exactly is the attraction is here? It's not like there's anything novel and therefore inherently awesome about "post-apoc" anymore. Raiders, robots, mutants, deserts, ruins, it's been done to death. Fallout is cool, but "post-apoc" as a whole is just a set of tropes that isn't indicative of anything.

Ask for space opera sci-fi, not post-apoc.

It is one thing that there isn't anything inherently novel and awesome about it, but another that there cannot be. Just imagine in your mind that you play that character that has been in an bunker for many years and now step out in a new world. Have it so there is no reliable information on what happened and suddenly you as a player can come out to anything.

That was a part of the wonder of fallout, you didn't know what to expect and therefore everything was novel. What you describe above is basically everything apart from fantasy-like monsters and aliens.

Prime Junta

(Although T:ToN is pretty much Dying Earth, I suppose...)

Numenera is so Dying Earth it's not even funny.

I finally got around to reading Jack Vance last week. Two take-home revelations I got from it.

One, it's no-good, terribad, awful writing. Swing a cat on the Internet and you'll hit better fanfic.

Two, Numenera is completely cribbed from it. Like, the entire setting, with just the names changed. It's all there. Sometimes they didn't even bother changing the names, like The Beyond for example. I could start listing things but fuck, it'd be a really long list.

I thought Numenera at least had originality going for it, as settings go, but it doesn't even have that. It's a bad re-interpretation of a bad fantasy setting, with the only change of note the replacement of raging misogyny with raging inclooooooosivity.

Imma try The Book of the New Sun next. Maybe it won't suck so hard. But seriously, this is supposed to be a fantasy classic, spoken of with the same reverence as... oh, Fritz Leiber, Ursula K. LeGuin, or even Robert E. fucking Howard?

AwesomeButton

Patron
Numenara has always looked suspiciously original to me for a pnp serting. Now I see why. :)

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
About the expansion: it's a shame but it seems The White March was not a financial success for Obsidian. Feargus is talking from a business perspective here. Traditional expansion packs are dying out, you can thank the assholes who invented DLCs and the retards who keep buying/defending them.

Poor sales of White March also might have something to do with the fact that the game was pretty underwhelming and very few people actually finished it. Its pretty logical that people who dont care about finishing the game care even less about an expansion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom