Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus Urquhart and Josh Sawyer talk about upcoming Obsidian games at Gamepressure

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Why would you ever want a new Fallout based on Fallout 4? There's nothing there to make a good game.
A well-designed New Vegas sequel in the Fallout 4 (rendition of the) engine could result in a great action RPG.

Make the player character mute and develop a common dialogue system akin to this mod, add a reputation system like in the last game, make speech checks static like in the last game, don't give level 1 players and raiders Power Armor. This together with the improved shooting aspect would be nice.

The only real hindrance I see is the removal of skills. Perhaps they could completely re-design the perks into weaker "skill perks" and stronger "perk perks"... I don't know. The perk chart must be trashed, in any case.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
I don't think the perk system is a completely lost cause that kills any hope, Bethesda just stuffed it full of stupid shit. It wouldn't work as well as a good skill system (Which isn't what was in 3/NV:P ), but attach accuracy modifiers to the damage bonus per weapon type that already exist in the game, create mutually exclusive branches for some perks, add "You get additional out of combat choices related to [INSERT TALENT HERE]" for stuff like the medical/explosives perks, either outright ban increasing S.P.E.C.I.A.L after char creation or make it extremely difficult, bring the level cap back or make leveling take much more effort, implement Alpha Protocol-style perks you gain through certain actions to cover whatever you can't fit with 70 perks (And that is after ditching the really silly perks and replacing them with whatever Obsidian finds more sensible), give the PC a few free perks at start to represent Tagging, and you could create something workable for multiple build options.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Feargus Urquhart: Not to tease, but we will have news in the next two or three months. We absolutely are looking at crowdfunding one of our next titles as well, so we’ll have news on that soon. I can say it’s been fun to sit around and talk with Tim Cain, Game Director of the original Fallout, about ideas for our next thing. I wish I could talk about it more.

There it is folks. Moment you've been waiting for.

We need poll. Tim Cain post-apo game OR Tim Cain PoE TB incline ?
DeepOcean on 2012:
"Hey guise, this kickstarter thing is great, imagine Chris Avellone, Tim Cain and the guys at Obsidian on the ultimate IE game, it will be the first game that Obsidian makes that the combat doesn't suck as it will be based on Baldur's Gate II. Imagine having the storyfaggotry of PST and the gameplay of Baldur's Gate II, it will be great, I wanna dream!

DeepOcean on 2015:
:whatisfun:

:negative:Nope, I will never be fooled again!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Crowdfunding again. Hmmm, I don't know how I feel about that. Haven't they earned enough money now so they can finance it normally? Paradox will probably back them as well. Starting to feel fishy all this, like some elaborate per-order scheme.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Crowdfunding again. Hmmm, I don't know how I feel about that. Haven't they earned enough money now so they can finance it normally? Paradox will probably back them as well. Starting to feel fishy all this, like some elaborate per-order scheme.
You mean like D:OS2?

These are my favourite type of threads on the Codex. It's the only place where even the typically cynical and weary contributors can let their optimism run wild and free and, in a way, everyone's favourite game is possible. Tim Cain-run Fallout 4.5? Sure. Hard Sci-Fi TB RPG? Why not? Last Days of Atlantis pipe dream? Could happen!

Yet with every piece of extra information about the game the optimist group is reduced to the point where they are dubbed weird and idiotic by those who quickly find their feet in the cynical soil beneath them. Ah, the emotional roller-coaster that is being a CRPG fan.

Wish they could do a FPS set in PoE universe.

Image if the next crowdfunding surpass PoE, the buthurt will be glorious

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Frankly a Tim Cain directed Fallout spinoff like New Vegas would pretty much be a slam dunk both for Bethesda and Obsidian since I dont see them having the balls, money or backing to come up with a new IP it is either that or a World of Darkness follow up to Bloodlines; in any case it is good new either way since a Obsdian RPG is guaranteed to be better than 90% of the popamole garbage out there

Pls let it be another New Vegas.

A1mUZSB.gif

Mozg

Arcane
Why would you ever want a new Fallout based on Fallout 4? There's nothing there to make a good game.
A well-designed New Vegas sequel in the Fallout 4 (rendition of the) engine could result in a great action RPG.

Make the player character mute and develop a common dialogue system akin to this mod, add a reputation system like in the last game, make speech checks static like in the last game, don't give level 1 players and raiders Power Armor. This together with the improved shooting aspect would be nice.

The only real hindrance I see is the removal of skills. Perhaps they could completely re-design the perks into weaker "skill perks" and stronger "perk perks"... I don't know. The perk chart must be trashed, in any case.

You outta you fuckin'a mind if you think Bethesda will let someone put out a non-numbered engine/asset sequel for their 15+ million seller without the same voiced dialog as the original game. Even changing the dialog UI is sketchy.

Everything you liked in New Vegas was snuck in because regular Bethesda buyers wouldn't notice anyway. They were job #1.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Do you think the Pillars White March metacritic was manipulated to stay in the green? Because it was at 74 at one stage, which is yellow.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not gonna happen though, after Obsidian missed the metacritic bonus for New Vegas.

No one cares about this.

You outta you fuckin'a mind if you think Bethesda will let someone put out a non-numbered engine/asset sequel for their 15+ million seller without the same voiced dialog as the original game. Even changing the dialog UI is sketchy.

Everything you liked in New Vegas was snuck in because regular Bethesda buyers wouldn't notice anyway. They were job #1.

Both Sawyer and Avellone said Bethesda didn't really give a damn about anything they wanted to do except a couple of plot things they wanted to maybe do themselves later.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Anything they wanted to do" didn't include changing FO3's basic interface and user experience. It'll have to have a voiced main character, there's no going back from that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Anything they wanted to do" didn't include changing FO3's basic interface and user experience. It'll have to have a voiced main character, there's no going back from that.

Josh said:
We did little tweaks here and there, but we didn't have enough UI resources (art or programming) to make massive changes.

I don't know if Bethesda would care enough to force a voiced protagonist. They might not.

Why do you think they weren't? It's just an assumption, much like yours.

Publishers hold all the leverage in these contracts. Metacritic bonuses are/were a standard deal, Feargus said he doesn't even bother with 'em anymore (no bonus period).

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Why do you think Obsidian was ever in a position to agree to anything different?

Why do you think they weren't? It's just an assumption, much like yours.

Why do you think Obsidian didn't demand the full rights to the Fallout sereis in return for making the game? And maybe a 50% share in Zenimax as well?

Edit: I don't think Zenimax actually owned the full rights to Fallout in 2009.

Zeriel

Arcane
anus_pounder has been revealing very good taste lately, since his return. Both PoE and AoD at least, I have seen. I also thinks he hates FO4, which is more than you can say about half the popamolers who pollute RPGCodex.

I have yet to see anyone here who seems to legitimately like Fallout 4. Pirating a game is not an endorsement of it, as everyone should well know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom