Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus interview at Game Informer reveals Obsidian's secret project is Stormlands reincarnation

Fairfax

Arcane
I checked FNV's credits on the wiki, and apparently they've lost even more key personnel than I thought.
I've yet to check/find everyone, but it's confirmed they've lost:

Executive Producer
2 out of 4 producers
Lead Artist
UI Artist
2/3 character artists
Audio Director
Design Lead/Lead Writer
2/3 Main writers
Lead Programmer
At least 4/5 programers
8/10 environment artists
6/9 area designers
Chief Creative Officer

And many others I didn't check/couldn't find.
Basically only lead left from that team in the company seems to be Josh Sawyer. Really sad stuff.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I checked FNV's credits on the wiki, and apparently they've lost even more key personnel than I thought.
I've yet to check/find everyone, but it's confirmed they've lost:

Executive Producer
2 out of 4 producers
Lead Artist
UI Artist
2/3 character artists
Audio Director
Design Lead/Lead Writer
2/3 Main writers
Lead Programmer
At least 4/5 programers
8/10 environment artists
6/9 area designers
Chief Creative Officer

And many others I didn't check/couldn't find.
Basically only lead left from that team in the company seems to be Josh Sawyer. Really sad stuff.

More context. (First off it is 5 years and one major layoff in between F:NV and today. Not all that surprising honestly)

Executive Producers

Larry Liberty

F:NV was his only game at Obsidian. (Seems to have worked on Aliens previously). Went to make his own game company. Failed.

Producers

Jason Fader
Cool dude, but again only worked on F:NV. He was laid off when Bethesda decided not to make a contract for his game Backspace. Also formed his own company, midly more successful.

Tess Treadwell
AGAIN F:NV was the only game (Well, a bit of very early production on South Park). Left on her own accord IIRC to pursue a job offering.

Lead Artist

Joe Sanabrina

I don't have to repeat every time right?
Went freelance. Doesn't really do games full time anymore.

UI Artist

Jason Sereno
Actually worked as the sole UI artist on more than one game. That being Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege III and F:NV (And again very early South Park). YMMV on how you interpret this. Was a more defining part of Obsidians history though.

Charachter Artist

Kevin Manning is also a cool dude. But as Sereno same 3-4 period and YMMV on his work.

Now
Aaron Brown
That was a big loss. Black Isle Vet and all that jazz.

Audio Director

Scott Lawlor
Captured by a Blizzard (As in better job oppurtinity even if he isn't director anymore)
Certainly Key Personel, but people probably remember Obsidians first Audio Director, Alexander Brandon, most fondly. Not really hard considering Alexander was probably one of the *big names* Obsidian had during.

Now I'm getting tired.

Well, theres the bigger losses following. Though in regards to writers as mentioned its not like Gonzalez and Stout have profiled themselves outside of Obsidian.

Other than that. Well, Frank Kowalkowski is obviously a big loss. Though, was snatched up by a Blizzard as well. Others left for various reasons.

On the topic of losses btw. only very few people left since the big layoffs in 2012 because of layoffs. For nearly every one of them it was a personal reason (location, job opportunities and so on)

5/5 programmers

They did hire Tim Cain and 3-4 other BI vets (bigger names as well) since then.

A lot of the others also have F:NV as their only Obsidian credit.

Chris was counted twice.

You forgot the Lead Animator (Left due to location)

Duraframe300

Arcane
Forgot

Leads still at obsidian

- Josh Sawyer
- Charles Staples (Area Design Lead)
- Scott Everts (World Building Lead)
And Brian Menze who does a lot of lead like jobs as well.

Athelas

Arcane
Scott Lawlor
Captured by a Blizzard (As in better job oppurtinity even if he isn't director anymore)
(...)
Well, Frank Kowalkowski is obviously a big loss. Though, was snatched up by a Blizzard as well.
I think I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The proper time to say "RIP Obsidian" was back in 2012, and not now when they're successful again and in a position to hire new people and maybe even rehire some of the ones they lost. I guess everybody just woke up to this now 3+ years late because PoE & Avellone.

Fairfax

Arcane
More context. (First off it is 5 years and one major layoff in between F:NV and today. Not all that surprising honestly)

Executive Producers

Larry Liberty

F:NV was his only game at Obsidian. (Seems to have worked on Aliens previously). Went to make his own game company. Failed.

Producers

Jason Fader
Cool dude, but again only worked on F:NV. He was laid off when Bethesda decided not to make a contract for his game Backspace. Also formed his own company, midly more successful.

Tess Treadwell
AGAIN F:NV was the only game (Well, a bit of very early production on South Park). Left on her own accord IIRC to pursue a job offering.

Lead Artist

Joe Sanabrina

I don't have to repeat every time right?
Went freelance. Doesn't really do games full time anymore.

UI Artist

Jason Sereno
Actually worked as the sole UI artist on more than one game. That being Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege III and F:NV (And again very early South Park). YMMV on how you interpret this. Was a more defining part of Obsidians history though.

Charachter Artist

Kevin Manning is also a cool dude. But as Sereno same 3-4 period and YMMV on his work.

Now
Aaron Brown
That was a big loss. Black Isle Vet and all that jazz.

Audio Director

Scott Lawlor
Certainly Key Personel, but people probably remember Obsidians first Audio Director, Alexander Brandon, most fondly. Not really hard considering Alexander was probably one of the *big names* Obsidian had during.

Now I'm getting tired.

Well, theres the bigger losses following. Though in regards to writers as mentioned its not like Gonzalez and Stout have profiled themselves outside of Obsidian.

Other than that. Well, Frank Kowalkowski is obviously a big loss. Though, was snatched up by a Blizzard as well. Others left for various reasons.

On the topic of losses btw. only very few people left since the big layoffs in 2012 because of layoffs. For nearly every one of them it was a personal reason (location, job opportunities and so on)

5/5 programmers

They did hire Tim Cain and 3-4 other BI vets (bigger names as well) since then.

A lot of the others also have F:NV as their only Obsidian credit.

Chris was counted twice.

You forgot the Lead Animator (Left due to location)
Good post, but yeah, I think others might've been included twice. Travist Stout had 2 roles as well IIRC.
I think the Lead Animator was one of the profiles that require a linkedin account to see the details.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The proper time to say "RIP Obsidian" was back in 2012, and not now when they're successful again and in a position to hire new people and maybe even rehire some of the ones they lost. I guess everybody just woke up to this now 3+ years late because PoE & Avellone.
Bioware is successful too, the question is that be successful and making good games aren't exactly related.:M

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hiring new people doesn't make you the same studio... not that they were anything stellar to begin with.... New Vegas with a fairly average game. It just shined in comparison to Fallout 3. I don't understand why people are expecting anything great from them in the future. I see more licensed titles and action oriented stuff. Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy stuff like that but a lot of the try-hards here will shit all over it.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I think the Lead Animator was one of the profiles that require a linkedin account to see the details.

He was the initial Lead Animator for Pillars of Eternity. He moved to be closer to his family IIRC (moving has been probably reason #1 in Obsidian history, mostly for monetary reasons). Went on to Stardock.

Shadenuat

Arcane
While Obsi did well with FNV, I'm afraid we should remember that it was a continuation of Fallout franchise. Meaning they were able to bring up and improve on stats and character building that Bethesda used before just because "Fallout had it", as well as create things that are expected from Fallout (factions, C&C and ending slides).

Obsidian are not obliged to Fallout crowd or IE crowd like with PoE to actually make an RPG how we want them. They may create something in spirit of 12 million copies sailed Fallout 4 or FarCry - just a modern sandbox with shitton of crafting and chores to run around the map.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Obsidian are not obliged to Fallout crowd or IE crowd like with PoE to actually make an RPG how we want them. They may create something in spirit of 12 million copies sailed Fallout 4 or FarCry - just a modern sandbox with shitton of crafting and chores to run around the map.

They are a developer for hire, I doubt they even get royalties.

The only reason for them to even give a shit about sales, is that if the game completely bombs, they never get another contract again.

Ultimately its Zenimax that dictates what kind of game they want from Obsidian. And that's the real problem.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Eh, how? MGS1/2/3/4 didnt tell their stories well, had horrible writing and acting, and were each of them a mess.

im_retarded_quantum_leap.gif

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I had a dream that I hung out with Hideo Kojima at length at various parties, and during it I asked him what actually happened to MGSV's plot: was that his fault, or Konami's? and during this exchange he became extremely quiet and looked depressed.

Nines

Learned
Many devs left since New Vegas, but I believe there are no irreplaceable people. I never even heard of this Gonzalez dude before, and yet, the Survivalist story is the most touching thing I read in video games in the past few years. Still, I think NV is really shines because of its quest design, and again, it isn't something only NV has. Alpha Protocol was also praised for many different paths player can choose.
All in all, I believe in them, unless of course, it's a high fantasy f2p moba. +M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom