Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus interview at Game Informer reveals Obsidian's secret project is Stormlands reincarnation

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Zzzz

Skyrim with C&C. Wish they would go with a smaller but richer world, but Feargus knows how the game works.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh hey, I forgot to mention. At one point in the interview, Feargus says "we're prototyping stuff with the Unreal engine now". Is that Stormlands Reincarnated(tm) or something else?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Oh hey, I forgot to mention. At one point in the interview, Feargus says "we're prototyping stuff with the Unreal engine now". Is that Stormlands Reincarnated(tm) or something else?

Probably Stormlands-reborn, no?

We know they have 4 games. One is AW (Cryengine), one is Pillars 2 (guys we totally did not decide to make a sequel yet), one is Stormlands, and last one would be....?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I honestly feel it might probe to be somehting interesting, if it turns out like alpha protocol to be have good writing, interesting C&C, some good plots points and a few obsidian style npc... Yeah it could work even if the open world is a bit smaller and we have some elves and shit
I rather take a flyer on an osidian product that more AAA bullshit ir kickstarter washouts looking for a handout
Hey wouldnt this be ideal for their Fig plataform?

Zeronet

Learned
Can't diss Bethesda just in case they get offered to make another game. Plus generally i believe in the industry you don't criticise other people.

Tigranes

Arcane
Any Obsidian RPG is better news than, well, all those fucking non-RPG wastes of time and talent (if helpful for cashflow).

Original IP? And finally Obsidian following up on FNV? Those aren't bad.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
To pull off a good open world rpg, they are going to need a ton of development time and cash to pull off something possibly decent. I don't think they have that kind of cash, and I just can't see a publisher handing Obsidian a ton of cash to develop one?

khavi

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
FU: So, New Vegas just used the Fallout 3 engine, but what we did, what we used, we write…well, we write a little dialogue here and there <grin>, and so well, we have a dialogue tool, it’s something that we’ve been developing for almost ten years now. What we realized when we went into doing Fallout: New Vegas, for the time we had it was going to be hard to write a lot of dialogue. And it’s always going to sound like criticism, but it’s sorta criticism. With Morrowind and Oblivion and Fallout [3], the Fallout engine, the Bethesda engine had a certain way of doing dialogue, and they hadn’t gotten to a newer modern way of doing dialogue. We realized we couldn’t use their system to generate a ton of dialogue. In essence, what we did was we bolted on our dialogue tool on to their engine and then we wrote an interpreter between it which would take our dialogue data information and put it in a format that the fallout 3 engine understood. It let us increased our speed three-four-five-ten-fold in doing dialogue.

BH: How much of a pain in the ass was it to work with the fallout 3 engine?

FU: <laughs>

:excellent:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
To pull off a good open world rpg, they are going to need a ton of development time and cash to pull off something possibly decent. I don't think they have that kind of cash, and I just can't see a publisher handing Obsidian a ton of cash to develop one?

They have a publisher, its in the interview. I wouldn't be shocked if its Microsoft again, though. Barely anyone outsources big projects to 3rd parties nowadays.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Interesting that the publisher allowed him to drop this news before it was officially announced. Obsidian gets to retain ownership? :M

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Great news. To anyone bitching that:
a) There is no Avellone - well... shit. It hurts me too. Nothing to add there. Also, this may be this secret project that Avellone was talking about, so hope is still there.
b) 'OH MUH GUD BUGSIDIRON" - fuck off.
c) "Why he said something good about Beth Fallouts?!" - becouse this guy isn't some random fag from some forum in net and he actually can't make faux pax/s in his own industry, just in case if Beth would ever want to give them rights to make another game. They can think whatever they want, but you don't speak like that in public, this is basic common sense, for fuck sake.

Finally Obsi will get their own IP (well, Pillars were before, but maybe they will make it good now. Not that Pillars are bad, just medicore). They have a publisher so this may suggest that they plan something big and they finally don't touch kickstarter. Open world? Well, it doesn't mean it will be bad.

Seriously, stop being so edgy and if you still are butthurt, go play Fallout 4 (or New Vegas/FO1/2 if you have any respect for those games)

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Witcher 3 was ruined by open world style.
:bro:Liked Witcher 1, liked Witcher 2... Witcher 3... mah God... so many question marks... so many useless crates with useless loot... hours and hours walking over nothing... mah God, they just needed to make an improved Witcher 1, why CDPotato? Why? Let OCD Bethesda lovers go fuck their goats and let us free from the BS.

Doktor Best

Arcane
:bro:Liked Witcher 1, liked Witcher 2... Witcher 3... mah God... so many question marks... so many useless crates with useless loot... hours and hours walking over nothing... mah God, they just needed to make an improved Witcher 1, why CDPotato? Why? Let OCD Bethesda lovers go fuck their goats and let us free from the BS.

Mah god just tick the button to hide those question marks and youre good to go, mah god nobody fucking forced you to loot shit all day long. Same goes with backer npcs in POE, dont like it? Dont fucking read it, thats why they had a distinctive colour. Your ocd is your fucking problem, not bad gamedesign.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Mah god just tick the button to hide those question marks and youre good to go,
Then you would waste even more time on empty forests killing level 1 wolves.
mah god nobody fucking forced you to loot shit all day long.
If you don't loot shit there is nothing to do on Witcher 3 open world that couldn't had been done better on a smaller game.
Your ocd is your fucking problem, not bad gamedesign.
Your fanboyism is your fucking problem, not good gamedesign.

Sannom

Augur
Interesting that the publisher allowed him to drop this news before it was officially announced. Obsidian gets to retain ownership? :M
It's Feargus. At this point, if the publishers haven't learned that you can't let him do interviews on his own if you want to keep something a secret, it's their own damn fault!

Finally Obsi will get their own IP (well, Pillars were before, but maybe they will make it good now. Not that Pillars are bad, just medicore).
Alpha Protocol was their IP too, it doesn't mean they got to keep it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They have a publisher, its in the interview. I wouldn't be shocked if its Microsoft again, though. Barely anyone outsources big projects to 3rd parties nowadays.

Allowing them to keep the IP sounds like Paradox funding this perhaps. I just don't see M$ plopping down cash for an open wound rpg, and allowing them to keep the IP. Though if I am recalling correctly, M$ funded Mass Effect, but allowed BioWare to keep the IP. Possibly due to Xbox exclusivity, stuff like that.

Fairfax

Arcane
Stormlands. It sounded like the deal was made recently, they probably used a prototype on UE4 to pitch it.
If they do, then it's definitely not a AAA project funded by a big publisher. They'd never put that kind of cash into something they won't keep. Could be something with a smaller scope funded by Paradox, Deep Silver, or something like that.
If I'm wrong and it's a AAA open world CRPG IP owned by Obsidian, then all kudos to Feargus and whoever else signed the deal because they have extreme negotiation skills.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't see how the deal could have been made recently given that Obsidian have had a secret project going on for what seems like years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom