Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favourite race in TES games?

Favourite rase in Elder scrools games?

• Imperials

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • Breton

Votes: 36 15.1%
  • Nord

Votes: 22 9.2%
  • Nigger

Votes: 23 9.6%
  • Altmer

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Bosmer

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • Dunmer

Votes: 70 29.3%
  • Ork

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Lizards

Votes: 24 10.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 21 8.8%

• Total voters

janior

Arcane
Patron
wymn

Codexlurker

Savant
"Orcs are green niggers." Green Samurai Niggers? I am going with Dumner(Played as one in Morrowind tooo many times to count) although the Redguards deserve this mention.

DraQ

Arcane
Argonians - one of the few examples of lizardfolk that are neither dumb as sack of bricks nor particularly assholish - calm, distrustful and detached, loyal if deciding to actually trust someone, often examples of observing stuff happening and actually doing something constructive about it in games when everyone else either fails to notice or fails to do anything worthwhile (bickering, panicking or so on).
Good looks, character, stats and background lore.

Next would be Khajiiti - catfolks, quirky lore and physiology, interesting philosophy.

Other than that Orcs are neat - good smiths, straightforward and having enough guts to be able to climb their way back up from the very bottom.

After that probably Nords, if only because that would be the race I would have the best chance of reflecting my RL looks in game. :P

Dunmer are obviously awesome if only for all their background lore but I'm not entirely sure they are that good at giving you reason to like them (and if they do, Argonians apparently didn't get the memo :smug: ).
They may be my favourite race for the game to be set among (at least given material to date), but not MY favourite race.

Wow, even orks in the poll. That's permanent ban, i think.
*Gortwog reaction image*

pippin

YcVVcER.png

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Despite the more extensive use of voice-acting in Oblivion relative to Morrowind, Bethesda reduced the number of voice actors to the point where the same person provided the voices for all Altmer, Bosmer, and Dunmer males. The actor who contributed Dunmer male voices for Morrowind was left out, except for voicing Haskill in the Shivering Isles expansion.

Neanderthal

Arcane
You flirt with damnation friends: Deny the Elf, first in your soul, then with the mind, and finally the body, strike out with righteous fury for the parasite must be crushed lest like a tick it burrows into the body of man, bringing sickness and decay.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Depends on which Elder Scrolls

Arena: Redguards, because their damage goes up with level, and can reach ridiculously high levels

Daggerfall: Bretons, because of Spell Absorption

Oblivion: Bosmer, because I did not like Oblivion combat, so played stealthy characters to avoid it

Skyrim: Bretons or Altmer, because Skyrim spellcasting is so broken, it is actually fantastic

skyrim spellcasting is shit without mods, easily the least powerful out of any elder scrolls

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Depends on which Elder Scrolls

Arena: Redguards, because their damage goes up with level, and can reach ridiculously high levels

Daggerfall: Bretons, because of Spell Absorption

Oblivion: Bosmer, because I did not like Oblivion combat, so played stealthy characters to avoid it

Skyrim: Bretons or Altmer, because Skyrim spellcasting is so broken, it is actually fantastic

skyrim spellcasting is shit without mods, easily the least powerful out of any elder scrolls
Well, I was mostly thinking of Conjuration.

I had two permanent zombies, who themselves conjured Atronachs. So I just stood invisible and watched them do the dirty work.

Yes, this is fun, why are you judging me?

DraQ

Arcane
Despite Because the more extensive use of voice-acting in Oblivion relative to Morrowind, Bethesda reduced the number of voice actors to the point where the same person provided the voices for all Altmer, Bosmer, and Dunmer males. The actor who contributed Dunmer male voices for Morrowind was left out, except for voicing Haskill in the Shivering Isles expansion.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Skyrim spellcasting is leaps and bounds beyond Oblivion in that it has some interesting things going for it (multiple ways to deal elemental damage, wards, necromancy requiring actual corpses, wielding system influencing how you can mesh it with melee and itself, etc.). Oblivion's spellcasting was just terminally boring just like Oblivion's everything else.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Despite Because the more extensive use of voice-acting in Oblivion relative to Morrowind, Bethesda reduced the number of voice actors to the point where the same person provided the voices for all Altmer, Bosmer, and Dunmer males. The actor who contributed Dunmer male voices for Morrowind was left out, except for voicing Haskill in the Shivering Isles expansion.
No, the shift to full voice-acting was responsible for the incredible diminution in the amount of dialogue per NPC in Oblivion relative to Morrowind, which used voice-acting only for comments made outside dialogue mode such as greetings or combat taunts. Since Morrowind's dialogue proper was text only, the marginal cost of adding dialogue was trivial. In Oblivion, by contrast, having the same amount of dialogue per NPC as in Morrowind would have been prohibitive not only in terms of money spent on voice-acting but also in terms of the amount of file space taken up with dialogue. Bethesda's solution was greatly restrict the amount of dialogue that wasn't directly quest-related, gutting NPC interactions and crippling verisimilitude.

On the other hand, there was little gain from the reduction in the number of voice actors. By increasing the average number of races/species covered by each voice actor, this might have allowed the elimination of a few common lines repeated for all characters in certain situations (e.g. utterances when fleeing combat), but these reductions would have been quite small relative to the total amount of voice-acting. Likewise, there might have been some reduction in expenses from having the same amount of lines delivered by fewer actors, but this would also have been small relative to total payments to the voice-actors. Certainly, the meager savings, by a company riding high after the success of Morrowind, couldn't possibly outweigh the deleterious impact of having the same handful of voices used for the dialogue of all NPCs (bar two or three celebrity voices for single, important NPCs).

hello friend

Arcane
Part of the charm. Oblivion would be a worse game with good voice acting, because the rest of the game isn't good enough. Better to meet the same handful of friends in various guise everywhere you go, while you discover Jauffre's 101 faces (face is heavily reused). Beggars are the only NPCs that can have 4 different voice sets at the same time, from quests + rumours + alms and so on. It's hilarious.

DraQ

Arcane
No, the shift to full voice-acting was responsible for the incredible diminution in the amount of dialogue per NPC in Oblivion relative to Morrowind, which used voice-acting only for comments made outside dialogue mode such as greetings or combat taunts. Since Morrowind's dialogue proper was text only, the marginal cost of adding dialogue was trivial. In Oblivion, by contrast, having the same amount of dialogue per NPC as in Morrowind would have been prohibitive not only in terms of money spent on voice-acting but also in terms of the amount of file space taken up with dialogue. Bethesda's solution was greatly restrict the amount of dialogue that wasn't directly quest-related, gutting NPC interactions and crippling verisimilitude.

On the other hand, there was little gain from the reduction in the number of voice actors. By increasing the average number of races/species covered by each voice actor, this might have allowed the elimination of a few common lines repeated for all characters in certain situations (e.g. utterances when fleeing combat), but these reductions would have been quite small relative to the total amount of voice-acting. Likewise, there might have been some reduction in expenses from having the same amount of lines delivered by fewer actors, but this would also have been small relative to total payments to the voice-actors. Certainly, the meager savings, by a company riding high after the success of Morrowind, couldn't possibly outweigh the deleterious impact of having the same handful of voices used for the dialogue of all NPCs (bar two or three celebrity voices for single, important NPCs).
When you are voicing ALL dialogue it makes sense to cut the amount of necessary assets. It doesn't matter whether you do it by reducing the amount of dialogue, recycling it, or both.
What you are describing - shifting balance towards unique dialogue at the cost of generic filler is how dialogue worked in Skyrim. In Oblivion, vast majority of dialogue was generic lines including those used in dynamic "conversations" between NPCs, so recycling good portion of it (it's not just all the elves because other races were similarly clumped together into groups sharing VA) must have significantly reduced the expenses.

Besides, is there any other explanation? Oblivion might have all the indicators of the entire dev team undergoing rapid, unexplained decortication, but it did well commercially so it probably didn't touch business sleazebags - at lest not more than usual.

Am I the only one that likes to play Khajiit?
Nope.

Definitely not; My first character in any Elder Scrolls game was a Khajiit warrior which eventually transmogrified into a Stealth/Warrior hybrid which worked wonders for my eventual obsession with lock picking my way through many situations.

Runner up favorite would easily be Argonian's for their disease resistance and water breathing.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Dunmer master race. Haven't really played as anything else. The other elves are either degenerates or gestapo larpers. Dunmer are the chillest badasses.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In games - Dunmer without contest.

In lore - minotaurs followed closely by Dunmer and then by Colovians.

Deitti

Augur
Nords. Always play as a Nord.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom