Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favourite areas in RPGs

Texas Red

Whiner
What are your favourite areas in RPGs? Describe them a little.

Yet again it seems that PS:T, for me, takes the cake for this particular element.

1. Clerk's Ward. The rich ward of PS:T. It really captured the magic. Artist and actors performing, wealthy people enjoying themselves. Various buildings of entertainment that offer services to the bored members of the upper layers. Damnit, I love that place. It had a certain feel to it.

2. The Hive or the poor area of PS:T. As the first one this ward also captured the suffering and poverty of the unfortunete people. Everyone doing whatever they can to just survive. Thugs and other scum all over the place.

3. The snake cult dungeon of IWD 1. Pardon that I dont know the exact name. IWD should be on the top RPG lists just for this area. It is a beautiful dungeon, very good art. What was special about it was the EXTREME collar-grabbing combat. I have honestly not experienced such intense combat in any game before or after, not even in the action games. You must try it yourself to see it. You fight alongside another party and the enemies just keep pouring and pouring. You really got a feel of a war going on. You have to experience it.

There are probably more. Of these 3 I would have to say that the IWD area is the most impressive. The combat in IWD is far better than in BG 1/2(more difficult too). There are many hidden gems in this game but it is generally overlook. If you havent yet played IWD I suggest you do.

Its quite ironic that my favourite ares are from the 2D games. They should have gone more with the 2D instead of rushing to the 3D. Naturally the retards of game journalists all had gushing orgasms over it ("ZOMG NWN R 3D BESTEST GAEM GOTY HAHA TOEE LOOKZ SO OLD"). You just cant have the equel art direction and convert it to 3D without losing the details. This is yet again a reason why games of today cant be art. In the days of yore the backrounds were actual paintings, now we have generic corridors.

Since Volourn is allowed to praise ME as the best future RPG, I will nominate ME as the game that will hold the most generic places since NWN 1.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Fallout 2 : New Reno. Becoming heavyweight champion, screwing Bishop's wife and daugther, Finding Myron and an antidote to the Jet, umber hulks in 30's gangsters outfits, shit my car got stolen...

Icewind Dale : Frost giants caves. ID was the first IE D&D game I played and I loved it. I was completely awed the first time I saw those impressive looking giants. I really hesitated before fighting them.

Baldur's Gate TotSC : Durlag's Tower. Huge dungeon with many differents enemies, lots of traps, a very hard place to clean in one run. Still my favorite dungeon memory in any game. Christ, that chessboard was hard...

Might and Magic 6 : castle Darkmoor. Not exactly a good memory since cleaning that place took me hours and felt like it would never end. Probably the most tedious dungeon I encountered in a game. But I was SO happy when it was finally over. :wink:

Temple of elemental evil : the moathouse. Bandits, giant spider, undead, ogre, evil priest. Also, giant lobster :shock: ... Fighting those with a low level party, using perfectly implemented 3.5 D&D rules. Cool.

Those are the first that comes to mind, but there are lots of others. The modron maze in PST, those "impossible to navigate" troll caves in Thunderscape, Shedungent in Daggerfall...

JrK

Prophet
The Glow for obvious reasons. Also the entrance to the Tree of Life from BG2, just for the graffix.

But the wowest moment for me was in IWD where I entered the mage's tower for the first time, and got that beautiful music playing. Just wow.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I liked the Den in Fallout 2 for some reason. I think it's the early struggle of a character that I liked most.

You enter a town, and you see all these kids pickpocketing left and right, addicts who sometimes go berserk and attack you. Drug dealers peddling crack and Slavers HQ with pistol toting thugs. Great contrast with the boring Klamath Noob-Town.

Edit: TRINSIC dammit. Ultima 7. The whole murder set-up. The Fellowship. It's the best first-town experience for me in RPG I think.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Planescape Torment - The Mortuary, Ravel's Maze and Curst

KotOR II - Dxun and Malachor

Fallout - The Hub

Icewind Dale - the whole Severed Hand chapter was fantastic

Jade Empire - the pirates hideout near Tien's Landing

edit: Shit! I forgot The Fortress of Regrets!

spacemoose

Erudite
all these mentions of icewind dale are making me want to try it. is the combat basically the same as BG?

as for what areas I liked - the clerk's ward of PST of course, as has already been mentioned (the content here is staggering), ragpickers' square and the one-room tower entrance in TOEE - the one with about 15 assorted witches, archers and men-at-arms, that was very fun to clear out

fastpunk

Arbiter
Spacemoose said:
all these mentions of icewind dale are making me want to try it. is the combat basically the same as BG?

Honestly, it's much better than BG in terms of combat although lite on the story part (but not bad, just lite). I found BG easy after playing IWD, it's more challenging.

franc kaos

Liturgist
RK47 said:
Edit: TRINSIC dammit. Ultima 7. The whole murder set-up. The Fellowship. It's the best first-town experience for me in RPG I think.
And the island of Skara Brae (same game I think), fog enshrouded, blasted tree's, ghost town - where the liche has taken over. The whole setup was mindblowingly wow. Couldn't stop playing that segment until I'd found out what happened!

Also Ultima Underworld II. The stick figures dimension and the void, exploring Lord British' castle in 3D.

Man, where has all the originality gone in games?

Hellraiser

Arcane
The Glow from Fallout - it's simply mind blowing in both concept and atmosphere not to mention the hidden goodies you get if you invest in repair.

The Mortuary from Planescape: Torment - it was a perfect way to begin a game where one of the first thing both the PC and the player think is what the fuck is going on?

Tarant from Arcanum - it had the feel of an industrial era town from the way it looked and it's citizens(not to mention the newspapers!)to it's problems(strikes etc.).

Dxun from KOTOR 2 - by far the best location from KOTOR 2(well nar shadda was bigger and had more stuff to do but it lacked the mandalorians). Too bad it wasn't bigger but still it was a lot better than crap locations like the Telos station, Peragus, Korriban or Onderon. If only other locations in that game were half as good.

Santa Monica and the Downtown from Vamipre: The Masquerade Bloodlines - They had a decent number of quests and stuff to explore something that can't be said about the 2 other "hub" areas in the game. If only the rest of the game was as good as that part....

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
IWD's difficulty, and graphics/are absolutey is so overrated. Still a fun game, though. Combat is 100% like BG series, btw. I think the diffiuclty level of both games' combat is pretty much even though BG2's can be a lot more unforgiving.

Diablo II: Expansion: almost everything of it.

Fallout 2: Drug Slave Factory near New Reno, Golgotha, New Reno, NCR, Vault City, Den.

Fallout 1: Cathedral thingy, The Hub, Brotherhood of Steel

World of Warcraft has some very good areas, Ironforge or whateva, Blizzard generally, not exactly a RPG, unfortunately.

PS:T : area under the brothel.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I thought the Glow was kinda silly. Unless the bomb that hit it didn't explode, it doesn't make sense that the place is still largely intact. Nukes going off inside a building, even an underground (especially an underground) one means there is no more building.

Anyways, Planescape Torment has some of the coolest areas, obviously. People have mentioned them, though I'm surprised nobody mentioned the bar yet.

World of Warcraft has some very good areas, Ironforge or whateva, Blizzard generally, not exactly a RPG, unfortunately.
Yeah that game does have some fun areas, but mostly it's just the colors. Darkshore and Duskwood were both really cool. WoW also had some really ugly, terrible, unfun areas. I think I remember my favorite being Desolace.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
BG 2's Amn was very very huge IIRC, I really took my sweet time exploring it, was really sad when I couldn't find anything more to do (after a week of RL passed) and had to explore the wilderness for once.

Black

Arcane
Fortress of Regrets of course.
But also TNO's prison.

Oooh, and Glow!1

Klaz

Scholar
Fallout: The Brotherhood, Cathedral and Boneyard.
Fallout 2: The major towns (New Reno, NCR and Vault City).
Arcanum: Tarant, Ashbury, Black Root, the beautiful lake (Forgot the name), and the Dragon Skeleton.

Unfortunately, I haven't played Torment, so I can't comment about it.

stargelman

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
Anyways, Planescape Torment has some of the coolest areas, obviously. People have mentioned them, though I'm surprised nobody mentioned the bar yet.
Which one? There were a number of them. I guess you're referring to the Smoldering Corpse though, which was indeed a very stunning location, especially because of the great music. And the corpse, of course.

I agree with much already mentioned, so let me add something new: The locations in Arena were very nice, mostly because of the athmosphere. I remember walking through the deepest depth of the Crypt of Hearts and feeling somewhat claustrophobic - the ceilling was real low, you couldn't see three feet in front of you and there was this unholy growling sound in the distance... :o

Fallout_Fan_VII said:
<sing>
Bruce Springsteen said:
Blinded by the <s>light</s> BLOOM
Mama always told me not to look into the sights of the <s>sun</s> NUKE-A-PULT
Oh but mama that's where the <s>fun</s> IMMERSHUN is
</sing>
How dare you taint Springsteen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom