Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Favorite effects (spells, attacks, environment and such) in games?

Do you have any? Preferably with video links. Hopelessly stuck with the space theme, did all sorts of black holes, space explosions and shit, but drawing blanks on anything fantasy related. I need something to riff on, gotta beef up my portfolio before getting into gamedev proper.

Help me out bros.

Deathsquid

Learned
I like hitting stuff in melee.

Also, due to this, I really liked NWN1 melee combat animations, they looked as if there was something actually going on. I remember my shit-level warrior's sword fight against a random sword spider that lasted forever and was actually a joy to watch.

Witcher 1 had some top-notch melee animations in combat as well, like that one where Geralt hops on his opponent's fucking shoulders and then performs a FATALITY.

Not quite melee, but Fallout 1/2 critical death animations are also awesome.

Black

Arcane
ToEE critical hits look brutal. And of course Fallout death animations. Mechanus Cannon?

ortucis

Prophet
I like hitting stuff in melee.

Also, due to this, I really liked NWN1 melee combat animations, they looked as if there was something actually going on. I remember my shit-level warrior's sword fight against a random sword spider that lasted forever and was actually a joy to watch.

Witcher 1 had some top-notch melee animations in combat as well, like that one where Geralt hops on his opponent's fucking shoulders and then performs a FATALITY.

Not quite melee, but Fallout 1/2 critical death animations are also awesome.

Do a search for Dragon Age: Origins animations and executions on YouTube, they were pretty good. I actually enjoyed a melee character in that game.

Cael

Arcane
In terms of spells, few things beat Ray of Stupidity from DnD 3.5. 1d4+1 Int damage.

Instant-kill on all dumbfucks and shills. Time to chlorinate the messed up genepool.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Shaper's spells and attacks in Path of Exile. While melee is made of wood - magic is where game shine.
Vicious combat in Severance - Blade of Darkness that include beheading, loosing limbs, both enemies and our characters.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I love bloodshed <3

Fallout death animations hold a special place in my heart.
Chain lightning from Heroes of Might&Magic 2-3
Anything from Severance - Blade of Darkness. I may have licked screen a few times.

Age of Conan fatalities. Bear shaman tearing heads with bear hands, eating hearts, melting people, oh my...

Dunno why but I kinda liked Rifts lightning and cold magic effects.
Grim Dawn's Blitz, grenado and canister bomb combo. Mildly satisfying feels.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Mind reading in Divinity 2. Animal talking in Divinity OS. Spell interactions from the same. Execution was terrible but the ideas were great.

Ability to kick enemies on environmental dangers from Dark Messiah.

Telekinesis, transformation and levitation in risen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom