Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry Primal AKA Far Cry with cavemen

Zeriel

Arcane
They're teasing a new Far Cry game, uncertain if it's a small spinoff like Blood Dragon or a feature-length game. It's called Primal according to (tiny) leaks, and appears to be a caveman simulator. Here's the only official thing so far, a looping stream that says there will be an announcement soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAQmt-60nUY

I kind of want this to be a full game more than a Blood Dragon type spinoff, ice age Far Cry has more potential than any setting they've tried so far in the mainline series.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
They're teasing a new Far Cry game, uncertain if it's a small spinoff like Blood Dragon or a feature-length game. It's called Primal according to (tiny) leaks, and appears to be a caveman simulator. Here's the only official thing so far, a looping stream that says there will be an announcement soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAQmt-60nUY

I kind of want this to be a full game more than a Blood Dragon type spinoff, ice age Far Cry has more potential than any setting they've tried so far in the mainline series.
oh shit nigga.

Zeriel

Arcane
Could this be the Cleve Mythos game we've all been waiting for?

It's far more likely you play as a manboon than fight against them. I'm mostly worried about how they will make non-gun gameplay work, the bow-only moments in Far Cry 4 sagged heavily despite their best attempts to prop it up with crazy supernatural stuff. Which kind of makes me think this will just be a short Blood Dragon style spinoff.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Better that way. The recent Far Cry games are all about padded/filler content and wear out their welcome after about ten hours. Would rather have something somewhat unique for a $15 retail price than another challenge/item hunt for $60.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Even though you won't have guns or healing syringes, it will still be an easier game than the original Far Cry.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's time to collect mammoth pelts and clear out Neanderthal outposts. Cleveland Mark Blakemore

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-05-far-cry-primal-is-an-ice-age-spin-off-report

Far Cry Primal is an ice age spin-off - report

For the last few hours Ubisoft has been teasing a new project with a livestream of a cave painting, and it's now believed that it's for a spin-off entitled Far Cry Primal.

jpg

According to sources at Kotaku, Far Cry Primal will be set during the ice age. An accidentally posted (and quickly removed) tweet from IGN Turkey (via AllGamesBeta) corroborated this report.

In Ubisoft's most recent tweet we can see a 15-second video of the cave painting emphasising combat with mammoths and bears using bows and spears. The IGN Turkey image suggests that there's a couple of factions at war and clubs will be a new weapon too.

A previous tweet teased the tagline: "survival is timeless."

It's unclear if Far Cry Primal will be a full-priced adventure, DLC for Far Cry 4, or rather a smaller standalone spin-off, as 2013's Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon was before it.

We've asked Ubisoft for confirmation about Far Cry Primal and will update should we hear back.

far-cry-primal-is-an-ice-age-spin-off-report-14440795958.png

laclongquan

Arcane
Why club is a new weapon? At base, it's nothing more than a short branch a caveman pick up.

Now, axe, axe is a new weapon. To make it you have to know at least how to make a stone knife, then affix it to a short branch with either vine or leather strip. Much advanced weapon than a club.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
Even though you won't have guns or healing syringes, it will still be an easier game than the original Far Cry.
doing your own root canals is easier than far cry.

fuck these rocket launcher trigen mutant mother fuckers. goddamn.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
For some raisin I couldn't get enough of FC3, did everything that the game had to offer. Haven't played FC4 yet but will play this for sure. Love prehistoric settings.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Officially official.

The award-winning Far Cry franchise that stormed the tropics and the Himalayas now enters the original fight for humanity’s survival with its innovative open-world sandbox gameplay, bringing together massive beasts, breathtaking environments, and unpredictable savage encounters.

Far Cry Primal will be available on PlayStation 4, XBOX One, and PC, coming out 23rd of February 2016. PC release on March 2016.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-06-stone-age-set-far-cry-primal-launches-in-february

Stone Age-set Far Cry Primal launches in February
Not a digital spin-off, more a mammoth undertaking.

Ubisoft has now confirmed the recently-teased Far Cry Primal, which will launch for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One worldwide on 23rd February 2016.

A PC edition will then follow in March 2016.

Ubisoft describes the game as the "the next exciting chapter" in the Far Cry series and a "full-fledged single player experience".

All of which sounds like Primal is intended to be the series' next big release rather than another spin-off like Blood Dragon. Indeed, unlike Blood Dragon, Primal is another physical release.

Primal will launch some 15 months after the Himalayan-set Far Cry 4, with some of the same team members involved. It's currently in development at Ubisoft Montréal, along with Ubisoft Toronto, Ubisoft Shanghai Studio and Ubisoft Kiev Studio.

Instead of Far Cry 4's elephants you can now hunt mammoths - as well as sabretooth tigers and bears (oh my!).

Set in 10,000BC, Far Cry Primal stars a hunter named Takkar. There's the usual huge area to explore and weapons to craft - but now no guns or vehicles to help.

You will still be able to fight other humans, though. Takkar's story will see him fight for his tribe to regain control of the region of Oros from other rivals - while avoiding being dinner for its animal residents.

"The interesting thing about Far Cry is that it's flexible," Far Cry 4 and Primal executive producer Dan Hay explained. "So when a team proposed to explore the idea of a Far Cry taking place during the Stone Age, we just said 'let's hear it!' And the more we heard about it, the more we realised how much of a damn good idea it actually was."

Zeriel

Arcane

Heh, those videos kind of destroyed what enthusiasm I had for it. Looks very bland. I also don't understand why they are so hell-bent on inserting stereotypical african savages into a time period where they make no sense (10,000 BC taiga forests). Should be worth a pirate, though.

There's a little more on their website, too:

http://far-cry.ubisoft.com/primal/en-US/home/

Comes out February 2016. Looks like that'll be a busy month.

Zeriel

Arcane
Maybe they haven't evolved white skin yet.

I'd give them a pass if they didn't specifically say in the second video they are basing it on the 10,000 BC time period, which is anywhere from tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of years after the African Exodus. It just makes no sense. I could give it a pass if it were one or two characters, but fuck, it's like the majority in the video. I can't even imagine what their thought process is. Maybe none at all? That's the only way I could see them having any excuse, that their historical research guys just don't talk to their art guys at all.

Their ultimate excuse is that it's some mythical fantasy land called Oros, but they wouldn't have talked up the historical influences if they wanted to get the basic material so hysterically wrong.

Multicult cavemen. :lol:

Also, I have a hard time imagining a FC game set in prehistoric times that has gameplay that won't bore to tears within one hour.

Yeah, that's gonna be the real problem. I was hoping they'd show something impressive, but the trailer highlighted all my worst fears about bow & arrow Far Cry mode being bland. It actually looks even more boring than FC4's rendition of it. Cinematic trailer and all that, not indicative of gameplay, but aren't cinematics supposed to be more exciting than the actual gameplay?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
10,000 BC also means no Neanderthals. But maybe they'll ignore that too. :cool:

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I'd give them a pass if they didn't specifically say in the second video they are basing it on the 10,000 BC time period, which is anywhere from tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of years after the African Exodus. It just makes no sense. I could give it a pass if it were one or two characters, but fuck, it's like the majority in the video. I can't even imagine what their thought process is. Maybe none at all? That's the only way I could see them having any excuse, that their historical research guys just don't talk to their art guys at all.

Their ultimate excuse is that it's some mythical fantasy land called Oros, but they wouldn't have talked up the historical influences if they wanted to get the basic material so hysterically wrong.
Are you mentally ill mang? A game with only white ppl in 2016?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom