Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 5 - set in the exotic open world of MONTANA

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It get repetitive super quick
It's "The Ubisoft Game."
You climb towers, you clear outposts, you hunt animals. I'll try it once I can pirate it since I enjoy the core Far Cry gameplay but my PC probably can't run it, worth pirating at the very least. I talked to my Jewish friend (because I am NOT an antisemite) about this game and he said it disappointed him. I've watched a stream of it and some things that I don't like are:
-Constantly pulling you out of gameplay while in free roam into a cutscene of boring shit every hour. Far better in FC3 where cutscenes where you get captured are in story and story only. If you are just freeroaming doing the game content you aren't captured all the time, but IIRC it's triggered by how many rebel/revolution/resistance/whatever the fuck it was called points. WILKOMMEN TO BLISS :----DDDDD gets pretty fucking tiring fast.
-No more first aid animations like in FC2, 3 and 4 where you pull out bullets, shrapnel, or put joints back in place, and you can regenerate your entire health bar without using healing items.
-Endless amounts of cult trucks driving around. It gets pretty ridiculous when you can't drive for more than a minute without getting drive by'ed by some asshole on the road. In FC3 the amount of enemy patrols was decreased when you cleared outposts, I don't think this is the same in 5.

Okagron

Prophet
-No more first aid animations like in FC2, 3 and 4 where you pull out bullets, shrapnel, or put joints back in place, and you can regenerate your entire health bar without using healing items.
Oh, c'mon, that's one of coolest things to watch in those games. Watching your character wrap a bandage on the wound, popping a bone back to its place or taking out bullets with a knife was fun and wince worthy to watch at the same time, at least for the second and third example. The animations didn't affect gameplay but they were cool to watch nonetheless.

Kind of disappointing they are not in FC 5.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I guess then in a sale in a year or two it'll be fine. Pay like 10 euros for some hours of random fun and explosions

McPlusle

Savant
Crowbcat is the poster child for diet cynicism: he makes videos for kids who want to look edgy and cool but can't think for themselves so they need vapid ecelebs to dictate their opinions for them.

Dexter

Arcane
Speaking of "intelligent" youtube edgelords this one is decent from what i saw.

This guy seems to be a moron. He basically accepts their premise, accepts that their goal is true and righteous, but says that "they're going too far". Also he thinks that he can have a "discussion" with them and they'll somehow suddenly see reason and right themselves.

Some of the most moronic statements made throughout the video:
  • "I believe that having diversity of characters is most often a positive thing!" #DiversityIsOurStrength (Based on what? Things seem a lot better and more immersive/realistic if they fit to a specific time period or setting, and nobody would even ask for "diversity" in anything outside a Western setting whether it be movies or games e.g. see Japanese/Chinese/Indian/Arab/African movie making or game development.)
  • Then he brings up Vikings as a positive example, which has become cringe in the past Season, even going as far as to include speeches about #ToxicMasculinity and states in relation to games and Red Dead Redemption specifically "Would it benefit from having strong female characters? Almost definitely it would!" (Why? He doesn't explain.)
  • Moving on to Call of Duty and Kingdom Come, he comes as far as to basically state that retarded calls for "inclusion" as opposed to historical accuracy are great, but then they shouldn't "rake it over the coals for being tokenistic", descending into a rant about how "Video games that promote racist agendas or actively encourage sexism are abhorrent" (Wut?), even stating that Vavra has "controversial opinions about White Supremacy" (When has he ever even talked about that topic?)
  • He ends his retarded rant by proselytizing that "Games with a terrible message, that are indeed offensive and harmful should be reviewed, called out and action should be taken!" effectively calling for censorship and taking action against games he finds "offensive" or "harmful" (whatever that means or however he defines it) that he dislikes. For some reason after talking about three games where you kill thousands of virtual people for most of the video and not taking issue with any of them he picks out Hatred, obviously without having played it first and states that "it was removed from Steam" twice (It hasn't, there was just a kerfluffle about it during its Greenlight process after which GabeN apologized and made it right, this is easy to look up and just a Google/Steam search away) and tries to turn it into some whipping boy to demarcate it from the "good games" (in the process chimping out about it even more than the "games press" did after its release - they largely stated it was boring) and ending up sounding like Jack Thompson talking about psychopathy, animal cruelty and "comitting violent crime" (like clicking a mouse button?), saying that the game is "disgusting and glorifies gratuitous violence" and that Polygon and the likes should "condemn and showcase/spread the word about games like that for what they truly are, hateful and violent" and that they need to state that it's "unpleasant and offensive to many demographics".
  • He ends his video with a tired, stupid "Muh vidya games are art!" argument.
And why did you post this video here even though it doesn't even handle Far Cry in any way, when the same YouTuber seems to have uploaded this even more recently even without making as many retarded arguments and including Far Cry 5 footage?

Also a summary of various articles and how most of these "progressive" sites have a tendency to review a game they have in their head and not the one that was actually released/actually exists from a different one:

Last edited:
Crowbcat is the poster child for diet cynicism: he makes videos for kids who want to look edgy and cool but can't think for themselves so they need vapid ecelebs to dictate their opinions for them.

He's not wrong. Crowbcat that is. You on the other hand are wrong. Making videos in which you show how an older game in the same series did more things, or did things better isn't somehow a act of cynicism, it's not edgy either...unless I've totally misunderstood what "edgy" means.

sullynathan

Arcane

He's not wrong. Crowbcat that is. You on the other hand are wrong. Making videos in which you show how an older game in the same series did more things, or did things better isn't somehow a act of cynicism, it's not edgy either...unless I've totally misunderstood what "edgy" means.
it's edgy, in his description he will admit that both games have their pros but won't admit that Far Cry 2 is actually a shit game, so he uses Far Cry 2 to make YouTube bucks

mbv123

Arbiter
I stopped giving a shit about Crowbcat when he shilled some shitty VR running sim, got called out on it, then deleted the video and pretended nothing happened. He's a spineless fag with no backbone and just shits out cherry picked videos that fits his "Game industry critic" persona.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Crowfaggot is also wrong on choosing the avatar for his youtube channel. Max Payne is too good and manly to be associated with clickbaits.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Encountered this amusing bug in my run.

20180331170224_1.jpg

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
This game looks like proper fun regardless of AI issues. But Denuvo or not, 60 jewros is way too much.

It get repetitive super quick. Bought the game with a friend, since we play all kind of co-op games and it first it was really fun. Mindless drunk shit-talking fun. But the game is way too hysterical so you get burned out very quickly on all the "awesome" stuff going on. Once in a while you just want to be able to drive to the next quest marker without getting assaulted by 25 different animals, cars, hooligans, cultists, drug-zombies and what not.

All the beautiful environment, but no time to admire because you are harassed constantly. Yep definitely Far Cry game :P

it's edgy, in his description he will admit that both games have their pros but won't admit that Far Cry 2 is actually a shit game, so he uses Far Cry 2 to make YouTube bucks

And? The point isn't that it's a shit game, the point is to show the cool shit Far Cry 2 did back in 2008 that for whatever reason isn't there in a new Far Cry in 2018...despite running on the exact same engine. (Not following these games I didn't know they were still running on the same engine) Who gives a shit if they're making money doing those videos, good for whoever runs that channel making some money pointing that shit out.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Well we expect games to evolve, meaning to accrue good things that worked and ditch the things that didn't work. To build up, being more complex, more detailed, and just resembling real life physics, graphics, effects, weather, day cycle etc. etc. Especially since its the same engine, so you would expect that the knowledge, methods, and all coding is in place, ready to be accommodated to new graphics. How many of us yearn about shooter or a game with good destructible environment, like completely made out of trillions of voxels that interact with each other to decompose during explosion, just like the particles of a real wall. Sure we will probably wait for that another 50 years to have enough computing power, but in the meantime i dont see much progress. The last fun shooting game with destruction was Red Faction Guerilla, and that was 9 years!

sullynathan

Arcane

And? The point isn't that it's a shit game, the point is to show the cool shit Far Cry 2 did back in 2008 that for whatever reason isn't there in a new Far Cry in 2018...despite running on the exact same engine. (Not following these games I didn't know they were still running on the same engine) Who gives a shit if they're making money doing those videos, good for whoever runs that channel making some money pointing that shit out.
nah, the point is to stick to building up his fanbase of edgy kids that will be fooled to shill & defend a shitty game (Far Cry 2 & GTA 4) because he can nitpick certain parts of the physics engine.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
nah, the point is to stick to building up his fanbase of edgy kids that will be fooled to shill & defend a shitty game (Far Cry 2 & GTA 4) because he can nitpick certain parts of the physics engine.
Dunno, if the physics of a game are objectively worse and easily noticable I'd say that it isn't nitpicking, shooting tree branches in 2 was a detail I loved and it was done on a weak as fuck CPU and 500 megs of RAM. I think people who say FC2 & GTA IV are shit have bad taste and are awesome button fags but that's just me.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I imagine they did it specifically because jaguar CPUs on consoles. It'll come back when this gen is over.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It's not like the X360/PS3 CPUs were fast. Jaguar isn't fast but it sure as hell isn't that slow either, worst case scenario would be to have to do some custom programming and offload it to GPU.

Last edited:

wyes gull

Savant
Most of the highlights of that video involve situations that don't or only marginally influence gameplay (with a couple of exceptions) but it serves, not as a infantile comparison of quality in a 10/10, GOTY!!! kinda way but as a window to the increasingly dispassionate and assembly line-like process of a game's creation. There are many reasons why majors engender so much resentment and so little sympathy and I would even wager why there's less hardcore fans for new games sprouting up on their merits rather than their popularity, but this video aptly demonstrates one of them, if nothing else. Besides, there's 2 other games and a whole 10 (!!!) years between them. Anything in FC2 that's good should be a given in 3; not missing in 5. Especially since it's on the same engine.

Maybe I'm a fool to die on the FC2 (or rather, on the "what FC2 coulda been") hill but time will tell. Mr. Hocking, I salute you and your ambition. Even your decision to make animals 1-touch-dead "in order for players to focus on the story rather than hunting" or whatever that was, which was questionable at best even without the power of hindsight.

deuxhero

Arcane
The game's description for the 1911 says it hasn't changed since World War 1. The M1911A1 revision, which the game model is based on, was released in 1924. Seems Ubisoft's horrible grasp of basic history isn't restricted to the AssCreed series...

Tehdagah

Arcane
Dunno, if the physics of a game are objectively worse and easily noticable I'd say that it isn't nitpicking, shooting tree branches in 2 was a detail I loved and it was done on a weak as fuck CPU and 500 megs of RAM. I think people who say FC2 & GTA IV are shit have bad taste and are awesome button fags but that's just me.
You should consider that Far Cry 2 was set in a savannah with far lower vegetation count, fauna, NPCs, no co-op and overall less complexity. Did Far Cry 2 even had planes? I don't remember.

Consoles have to sacrifice a lot, I noticed that arbusts in Far Cry games don't react to the characters or bullets like they did in Crysis 1.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Vegetation was sort of lower but there were places inland that pretty thick in vegetation. There was some fauna in the outskirts of the map in FC2 too, but not as much. NPC count in towns was actually quite high and they weren't invincible and stationary either, you could rile up the entire town and fight them. Co-op doesn't really matter, considering you need separate consoles for it. Far Cry 2 had gliders that served the same purpose for the most part although they weren't armed with weapons, obviously. Complexity is very arguably since NPC AI and combat patterns were far more complex and generally the game world was more destructible, the fire simulation was also more ramped up in FC2.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
Vegetation was sort of lower but there were places inland that pretty thick in vegetation. There was some fauna in the outskirts of the map in FC2 too, but not as much. NPC count in towns was actually quite high and they weren't invincible and stationary either, you could rile up the entire town and fight them. Co-op doesn't really matter, considering you need separate consoles for it. Far Cry 2 had gliders that served the same purpose for the most part although they weren't armed with weapons, obviously. Complexity is very arguably since NPC AI and combat patterns were far more complex and generally the game world was more destructible, the fire simulation was also more ramped up in FC2.
Still less vegetation than Far Cry 5, fauna barely existed (IIRC Ubisoft had to cut crocodiles due to console limitations) and there were less NPCs. Gliders fly lower than planes, Far Cry 2 was mostly a flat game. Having more than one player in the map requires more from the hardware, too.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Both Xenon and Cell are more powerful than the sad excuse PS4 and Xdone are running with.
But both were hard as hell to work with, I wouldn't doubt it since Jaguar was originally meant for laptops & low power machines but regardless, source?

Zer0wing

Cipher
But both were hard as hell to work with, I wouldn't doubt it since Jaguar was originally meant for laptops & low power machines but regardless, source?
Ubisoft. Just look up news regarding Ass Creed. For example.
https://hothardware.com/news/ubisof...e-a-limiting-factor-in-assassins-creed-unity-
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...-drm-is-slowing-down-assassins-creed-origins/

I played Origins on a friend's PS4, and eariler on some local expo played the Xbong versionfor a while, and surprisingly, it is also runs like garbage.

They also said something in line with this - they were GPU bound with PS3/360, but now they're hitting the ceiling with CPU this time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom