Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 4 - *insert witty subtitle here*

Luzur

Good Sir
Elephants crave human blood.

If these things don't go full blown Skyrim Giants and punch people into the stratosphere, I will be very disappointed.

where is the nudity? WHERE

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Me too, too bad they've already said Blood Dragon isn't getting a sequel. FC4 might be decent, but with GTA5 going first-person I have no reason to touch any Ubisoft product for the foreseeable future.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Even 0.000001 more meaningful is still more meaningful than skinning lions for a bigger wallet.

If Skyrim's exploration is more meaningful it sure wasn't significant enough for me to enjoy it more than Far Cry 3.

I'll take Vaas, B acting silliness, and guns over retarded Todd bucket shit. :hearnoevil:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eurogamer review: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-14-far-cry-4-review

Ubisoft has considerably ramped up the list of things to see and do, then - but the studio also shies away from its own story. Ajay, a Kyrati native raised in America, has returned to his homeland for the first time in his adult life with the intent to scatter his recently deceased mother's ashes. Soon after touching down, he realises his parents each had a sizable role in instigating the civil war the country is currently embroiled in, a war against its flamboyant and despotic leader, Pagan Min. This dynamic is never really explored outside of optional collectable journal entries from Ajay's father, however, while a revelation regarding the family is casually thrown into a cut-scene and rendered largely meaningless, given that the game spends next to no time explaining Kyrat's more obscure and antiquated religious practices.

For all Far Cry 3's problematic narrative themes (and there were a few), at least it got people talking. The characters were a fascinating and often repellant bunch: a mad doctor, a pervert, a charismatic if totally insane warlord. In Far Cry 4 we're given a preacher who peddles arms and a couple of archetypal burnouts, and aside from one throwaway use of the c-word the game doesn't seem interested in pushing anyone's buttons.

The two opposing leaders of the Golden Path rebels, whose bickering drives the majority of the campaign, are only as interesting as their conflicting points of view on how to run the country once Pagan is out of the picture. Sabal is a traditionalist, whereas Amita wants to bring the country kicking and screaming into the 21st century; though the choice between them is never a black-and-white one, the solution the game drives you towards in the final act is as inevitable as it is obvious. Pagan Min himself is an intoxicating but underused presence, as is his barely-there lieutenant and right-hand woman Yuma, who never quite lives up to the reputation the other characters allude to.

But there's a reason Ubisoft pared back Far Cry 4's story - it knew it was never going to be the main attraction. Far Cry 4 does all the things that its predecessor did and more - more weapons, more vehicles, more modes, more ground to cover - so if all you're looking for is a big old wide open space to tear up with a friend, go forth and make merry with mortar. That said, more does not necessarily mean better, and the truth is that the wilds of Kyrat simply aren't as beguiling as the Rook Islands were. Far Cry 4 is well worth a visit, but it's more a backpacker's delight than a five-star island paradise.

8 / 10

The lack of problematicness is problematic!

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I want to see the metacritic scores compared to each other (journalist vs user).

Astral Rag

Arcane

1998169-131515966013997s7t.png

Gerrard

Arcane
There's a patch of sunlight and right next to it there's shadow so dark that the candle light is clearly visible.
Sorry but that's not how light and shadows work.

bonescraper

No, it's not "so dark that the candle light is clearly visible". It's just an overdone candle bloom effect. Everything elese is fine on that screenshot. But the game is supposed to look "dreamy", kinda drug or trance-like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Tried a bit of it and the fucking crafting & looting is already making me furious. It's exactly the same as in 3 (but somehow I don't remember raging as much then than now). "Oh so you have all these items in your inventory, cannot pick anymore more, better go sell them." I go to the nearest shopkeeper. "You don't have enough space in you wallet for the money you would get selling these". FUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU
:x

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Other than the candles making it look weird, the shadows look fine.

There are probably a dozen other problems with the game that you could address, you don't need to look like a try-hard by focusing on the goddamn shadow effects.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom