Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 4 - *insert witty subtitle here*

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Wondering whether to pick up the PC or Ps3 version...not really in the mood to deal with shitty ports. Then again, it probafly won't take long until some kid on the internet that's somehow more skilled than Ubi's best fixes it...

I can't imagine the PC version being worse than the PS3 version in any way.

Astral Rag

Arcane
RPS wrote:

"The most interesting place to point Far Cry 4’s twisted mirror however is towards that old RPS favourite – the immersive sim. Perhaps by accident Far Cry 4 is mainstream videogames’ take on the same design principles that underpin a Looking Glass game."

"But the faults aren’t what matters to me. Look beyond the campaign and Far Cry 4 is a razzle dazzle mainstream take on game design defined by being systemic, player-driven, always first-person, and with no fail states bar death. Looking Glass would be proud, and now that I’ve unlocked all its pleasures, the final thing reflected in Far Cry 4’s funhouse mirror is my dumb, grinning face."

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Far Cry 4 would have to be so fucking different from 3 to even have a resemblance of Looking Glass design, I can't imagine that being possible. Another fine bit of pretentious RPS writing.

with no fail states bar death

So they got rid of that "leaving the mission area!" shit at least?

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Why are the mission limits bad again? I like the fact that I have to do things in a certain way, adds to the challenge. If i want complete freedom, I have it everywhere else on the island with all the side missions, outposts etc.

In 90% of the games out there there are mission requirements. Just because FarCry3 is open world doesnt mean that the devs cant create missions that have specific parameters.

Plus in most cases you still have the freedom of movement, approach etc.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Why are the mission limits bad again? I like the fact that I have to do things in a certain way, adds to the challenge. If i want complete freedom, I have it everywhere else on the island with all the side missions, outposts etc.

In 90% of the games out there there are mission requirements. Just because FarCry3 is open world doesnt mean that the devs cant create missions that have specific parameters.

Plus in most cases you still have the freedom of movement, approach etc.
Open world shooter = more freedom, strict mission parameters = less freedom, they don't go well together. On Far Cry 3 you go and destroy an outpost any way you want just to go on a mission later where you fail if you let a stupid douchebag die. Going from freedom to not freedom to freedom to not freedom again fucks with the flow of the game and is jarring. You think why on the last outpost I could kill all enemies stealthly but why on this mission I HAVE to use this sniper rifle on this EXACT position for absolutely no reason. If you wanna CoD, be CoD, stop pretending you are giving freedom to players.

Jiub didn't exterminate the Cliffracers. He drove them away and then they resettled in Kryat and grew feathers.

"EAGLE!!!"

*Golden Path fire 1,000 bullets wildly into the sky*

*Picked off one-by-one anyway*

Last edited:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Before Wasteland 2 and Far Cry 4 I didnt know that Honey Badgers were such mean motherfuckers too :D

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
RPS wrote:

"The most interesting place to point Far Cry 4’s twisted mirror however is towards that old RPS favourite – the immersive sim. Perhaps by accident Far Cry 4 is mainstream videogames’ take on the same design principles that underpin a Looking Glass game."

"But the faults aren’t what matters to me. Look beyond the campaign and Far Cry 4 is a razzle dazzle mainstream take on game design defined by being systemic, player-driven, always first-person, and with no fail states bar death. Looking Glass would be proud, and now that I’ve unlocked all its pleasures, the final thing reflected in Far Cry 4’s funhouse mirror is my dumb, grinning face."

giphy.gif

For fuck's sake, RPS.
About the only one who may be proud would be Harvey Smith, who proclaimed Far Cry 2 to be his favorite game some years back.

That said, there is a smidgen of Immersive Sim in there. But not enough to make me proud. That also said, Far Cry 4 is the best damn popamole I've ever played. It really is. Why? Turn off the mini-map, (it is an option unlike FC3), do not buy any loot maps, and it goes from semi-popamole to an engaging challenge (no enemies displayed on the map because no mini map, and insert other examples here) that is also good for explore fags (no minimap or purchased maps = no loot on map). All that is left, that hopefully some modders can sort out, is the RPG systems. Everything else may be a little flawed in some way or an other, but after this hypothetical mod it'd be a modern classic if you follow the rule I set myself of turning off the mini map and do not buy loot maps. Leave objective markers on for obvious reasons though.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Trust me on this. Everyone that craves that glorious old school design should do this. It doesn't un-popamolify the game at it's core but it really makes a difference in a number of ways.

Renegen

Arcane
The Far Cry games are great, what impresses me about them is that unlike Skyrim or Oblivion, the world is not as generic. All of the stuff available to do in it no matter how restricted is always slightly different from each other and the Far Cry gameplay of choosing your approach to each mission is still there. The core gameplay also helps a lot, instead of swinging swords based on a bad RPG system, you shoot people based on twitch weapon mechanics.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Rebinding any key in this game will randomly make other controls stop working. What a fantastic port. Thanks Obama!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Clearly they need 16 gig vram.
More like 8GB GFX memory (6GB could be enough too). The game is apparently very bad at moving GFX data from RAM to VRAM, because you do not have to do that on consoles (where RAM is VRAM) and they have decided it is not worth optimizing the process for the PC port.

Also, the witty thread subtitle could say: 'Can be finished under half an hour!' (including the opening cinematic)

I like this a lot - pretty funny and kind of 'take that' against modern gamers.

Last edited:
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I never realized you could get that ending even though it was hinted at a few times. Why? Popamole design and Ubisoft. If this were an LGS game or old school game in general I'd be far more inclined to try waiting at the compound.
Considering what I have come to expect from modern games, especially from one of the big publishers like Ubisoft, I would have to have stumbled into it by accident, even whilst knowing FC4 offers a fair bit more than your average popamole. Sad really.

Cadmus

Arcane
I never realized you could get that ending even though it was hinted at a few times. Why? Popamole design and Ubisoft. If this were an LGS game or old school game in general I'd be far more inclined to try waiting at the compound.
Considering what I have come to expect from modern games, especially from one of the big publishers like Ubisoft, I would have to have stumbled into it by accident, even whilst knowing FC4 offers a fair bit more than your average popamole. Sad really.
You're sad if you blame the developer for making the game unexpectedly good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom