Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 4 - *insert witty subtitle here*

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I think I'm going to check the optimization in the game, and then maybe buy it soon if it holds up on my PC. I'm starting to become very interested in the environment. It looks like exploration could be pretty fun.

Sodafish

Arcane
The lighting is definitely not realistic in that second screenie. There's absolutely no way an open environment like that would appear that dark in direct sunlight. It looks more like that scene from Blade Runner at the Tyrell Corporation.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The screenshot is dark because the first leaked version lacked the release patch. Therefore lacking shit like a working map and having really dark shadows and messed up contrast and such. It now looks fine. As good as Far Cry 3 at least. Love the verticality in the new terrain. It's basically Far Cry 3 in the mountains with more stuff to do and things to have happen. And it got outposts that get taken back by the bad guys. I like that. Story is fun enough, though I do miss Far Cry 3's useless friends. 'Hey, I slaughtered compounds filled with bad guys and saved your girlfriend. What have you done? Oh, been tripping on acid. And you? Ah, been crying and staring into the fire. Oh, and made a little cross by putting together two sticks. Nice.' Loved that. Not to mention that it had quite a strong support cast. Shroom doctor springs to mind. Anyway, niggles. Game is fun.

Wanted to get FC3: Blood Dragon because $3 and then...
HA5AXtH.jpg

rBHwkX2.jpg

The soundtrack is the best part about blood dragon. No idea why people thought that ebin maymays belonged in an 80s pop-culture spoof thing.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Played the demo for a little while. It runs for me, but it's same old Ubisoft. There's a clear difference between low and ultra settings, but no performance difference at all. Always below 60 on a fucking 7870.

Zeriel

Arcane
Played the demo for a little while. It runs for me, but it's same old Ubisoft. There's a clear difference between low and ultra settings, but no performance difference at all. Always below 60 on a fucking 7870.

Far Cry 3 had this same exact problem--quality settings had almost no effect on performance except Post FX, which accounted for all slowdowns.

I haven't played 4 yet (made the mistake of actually buying it, instead of just pirating as per usual), but it sounds like it is indeed suffering from shit tier porting. I mean, in all screenshots it looks exactly like Far Cry 3, no great leap in complexity of geometry or anything, yet the system requirements are 4X what Far Cry 3's are.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Or why not save some time and just buy them in the UBI store, currently only $2.99 for 6 "Deluxe Croco Skins" or save even more time and grab "Wallet nr. 2" for $3.99.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Come to think of it, why PETA isn't outraged by this ?

http://www.arabicgamers.com/news/3709/far-cry-4-hoping-to-avoid-peta-controversy-says-dev

Far Cry 4 is hoping to avoid controversy from PETA as players in the game aren't forced to kill animals, according to creative director Alex Hutchinson.

The Far Cry series famously allows players to maim all sorts of wildlife, either for fun or to skin and craft new items and equipment.

However Hutchinson said slaughtering animals was part of player choice, and they've even taken out rewards for killing elephants in the newest game.

"I hope PETA are hopefully aware it's a game and not a documentary so I think we're safe on that front," Hutchinson told ArabicGamers.

"Yes, there're upgrade paths to do with the animals. But there're very few times when you're forced in the game to hunt an animal or kill an animal, so I think it's in there as a sort of player expression, how much you want to do it or which animals you might spare.

"Elephants for example, there's no reward for killing an elephant in Far Cry 4, that was one we decided just doesn't feel right."

Hutchinson went on to say that people should be able to make the distinction between video game and real life when it comes to these issues.

"For us there's a really clear line between fiction and reality in this one," he added.

"For me, I do all kinds of horrible things in games I would never do in real life. So that bit we don't worry about too much."

We discussed much more with Hutchinson during a recent interview, including his opinion on video game villains lacking power and diversity being an important topic in the industry.

We'll be bringing you a video of the full interview very soon. Far Cry 4 launches 18 November.

Why they enforce such things on players. There is no challenge in it, it's just an artificial obstruction. The most funny thing I've seen in FC3 was a pack of warans killing an AK47 raping squad. They didn't know what hit them :lol:.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh hey, radio towers are back! Lol @ him calling the 'economy' BRILLIANT because you have to skin animals to upgrade loot bags.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
I shouldn't complain since I was playing a pirated pre-release version and the patch I just installed erased all my saves, but still. :negative: But the unskippable cutscenes, :negative:

unskippable cutscenes are pissing me the fuck off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom