Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Tactics: turn based OFF, Individual or Squad?

dryan

Arcane
... and why?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I went with squad because to hell with initiative, makes combat feel like it takes longer than it should.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Real time because when it was developed, it was tested in the real-time only. So the game isn't really balanced to be turn-based, not to mention that, despite the name, it's not a Fallout game. If you look at it as at some sort of post-nuclear Diablo-clone with a little bit more complex combat, it becomes much better experience than if you try to enjoy it as a Fallout game. Turn-based is just too grindy&boring here.

Last edited:
In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Real time with a squad. It's a rare example of a RT skirmish wargame with none of the RTwP silliness.

1. Real time
2. Solo
3. Offensive
4. Get AK-47
5. Run n' gun without even clicking on enemies
6. M-muh tactics?

By 2nd mission you'll have more ammo/stimpacks than you can use.

Comte

I completed the entire game in turn based mode. It took me about 60 hours to complete.

Perkel

Arcane
... and why?

Question is why the hell you want to play real time squad based game.

Real time because when it was developed, it was tested in the real-time only. So the game isn't really balanced to be turn-based, not to mention that, despite the name, it's not a Fallout game. If you look at it as at some sort of post-nuclear Diablo-clone with a little bit more complex combat, it becomes much better experience than if you try to enjoy it as a Fallout game. Turn-based is just too grindy&boring here.

Bollocks.

First to have proper experience you need to take Fallout veteran mode or whatever it is called in character creation menu that limits saving only to your base and doubles XP rewards.
Secondly game isn't balanced for real time combat as later missions especially in that village often puts you against multiple foes which would steam roll over you.
Third this game is not diablo clone

Baron Dupek

Arcane
It depend of individual preferences.
Small squad for me, 2-3 people. Would be fun to rely on traps, not only disarming them.
And yeah, I was surprised hearing that F:T was designed for real time. But it's hard to get into dangerous situation, maybe except mutants missions.

Gord

Arcane
If I remember it right, you could more-the-less switch on the fly between RT and TB, right?

I played it TB during the more difficult battles, where RT would get too hectic and switched to RT for exploration and clean-up.

Pope Amole II

Developer
It's more like Commandos if anything, but Diablo?

Yeah, Diablo. A simple action-RPG. I don't see the reason for all this snobbery and make-believe attempts to pose this game as something it is not. I went through it all in the real-time mode, not switching for the turn-based mode (in an ironman run, btw), I never felt the game was too difficult that way, I never felt the game was even trying to be tactical (the majority of tactics were actually pre-patch bug exploits, like push-upping enemies to death with Flexible perk and so on) apart from putting the sniper on a good vantage point. It's a decent minimalistic action game (with a nice RPG system that actually allows an ok-ish variety of builds and gameplay, though it's kinda spoiled by the recruits being very limiting shit).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ snobbery? I don't even like the game, but it has nothing to with Diablo, while it uses the same basic elements of isometric realtime tactics that Commandos used.

Pope Amole II

Developer
^ snobbery? I don't even like the game, but it has nothing to with Diablo, while it uses the same basic elements of isometric realtime tactics that Commandos used.

The snobbery remark wasn't addressed to you, obviously. And, once again, don't mistake the "how the game looks like" with "how the game actually plays". Tactics is too primitive tactically (mostly due to the map design) to be actually played that way. Most maps offer you pretty much zero space for maneuvers instead relying on "here's a solidly fortified enemy position, storm it!" It's just how it is.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Turn on yer "Iron Man" mod and I'll see you play it real time. This is just stupid, really. You want action - pay action games, for Christ sake.

Fallout Tactics is very decent game, once you turn base it and stop savescumming. It allows you different tactical approaches on missions, provides a good roster to experiment with and has juicy visuals too. But the character build and general roster decisions are pretty straightforward. You gotta bump up light weapons in beginning, heavy in midgame and energy in lategame, and choose party members accordingly. If you don't, ur in trouble.

Of course, once you complete it once or twice, then you can pretty much make solo runs no prob. But still, want real time action - go for dota. Want some actual tactical planning experience - go TB.

Individual is how it supposed to be played, but squad-based is so much more comfortable, I can't resist

Edit: Although, there are some ambush-type situations that work out only in real time. But, meh. Can live without them.

Last edited:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
First to have proper experience you need to take Fallout veteran mode or whatever it is called in character creation menu that limits saving only to your base and doubles XP rewards.
I love the game and tried to replay it that way but it randomly crashed during missions and ruined the experience. Something to do with the game sounds I think. I got to the robots missions before finally letting go because I was fed up with restarting missons that were almost completed.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I played the game with a friend when we were 12. For the most part we used turn-based, but I remember there was this one part that we had to switch to real-time to beat. There was this sniper nest of ghouls that was being raided by I think deathclaws. You had to help the ghouls survive this big stream of deathclaws and we found it to be far more manageable in real-time. The game definitely uses different rules for turn-based and real-time and I'd imagine it's stacked more towards your characters in real-time.

Last edited:

Gozma

Arcane
Turn on yer "Iron Man" mod and I'll see you play it real time. This is just stupid, really. You want action - pay action games, for Christ sake.

I played it RT ironman. The game has plenty of tools to manage it IIRC (stealthing people into position then turning them on free fire, Rambo'ing around with your damage resistance maxed out via drugs, etc.). Even RT ironman gets too boring to finish around the third or fourth enemy faction switch though. It's way too long for what it's worth.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

I played it RT ironman. The game has plenty of tools to manage it IIRC (stealthing people into position then turning them on free fire, Rambo'ing around with your damage resistance maxed out via drugs, etc.). Even RT ironman gets too boring to finish around the third or fourth enemy faction switch though. It's way too long for what it's worth.
Finished the game several times in TB, occasionally switching to RT, just for experimental's sake. Never got bored with this game.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Fallout: Tactics in CTB is basically a run n gun game with squad formations (hit the F-key). It can be mildly amusing if played that way, but you need twitch skillz and a proper gaming mouse.

laclongquan

Arcane
Idiots didnt play the game or something? :shake head:

You use RT in driving past encounters, or in excuting ambush, where there's no sense waiting for the turn by turn so might as well speed up the process. Play like Diablo? Only if dif=min.

The squadbased is used when you micromanage members for the ambushes, same as JA2.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Yeah, Diablo. A simple action-RPG.

I agree with most of what you said, except this. FT in CTB mode isn't really like Diablo. You don't have a squad that can hold formations in Diablo. You don't have marquee select, and view is locked centered on hero. In Diablo you individually target enemies and click on them until they die, in FT CTB they auto-attack based on formation, sentry mode (passive/aggressive) and stance (stand/crouch/prone).

But I guess by comparing it to Diablo you just meant "simple". Yeah, it is. And anyone getting snobby over it needs to go play JA2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom