Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[NO LONGER MANTAINED] Fallout: New Vegas - Sigourn's Recommended Mods

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
There is only one gameplay mod that matters - the afterwar Nevada or whatever it is called. It turns a senselessly easy game into one where there was a reason to code in stats and perks and other rpg systems.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Expected shit but good list tbh. Regarding DarnUI, functionality is good but the font and design is horribly unfitting the setting. Looks like some sci-fi shit. There's another mod, don't remember the name, "VanillaUI+" or something, which in combination with MTUI and JIP Recipe menu is the optimal choice.

Reading your comment I just remembered the Revelation UI mod. I've used it before and it's really good, so I added it to the list as well. I've also added Vanilla UI Plus, as I wasn't aware of its existence, and it's a great alternative for those who want an absolutely vanilla-looking UI, so thanks!

I would appreciate if more people chimed in about various mods that they think fit the list. As long as it doesn't add new functionalities (unless the mod does it really well), content, or changes the graphics, it's cool.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Is there any mod that replaces that retarded Pip-Boy with something that preferably uses the whole screen and has more than 2 pieces of information available on screen at the same time?
I realize this thing must be the Bethesdard LARPer wettest dream, but I'd prefer something that's not designed for mentally incapacitated people.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Is there any mod that replaces that retarded Pip-Boy with something that preferably uses the whole screen and has more than 2 pieces of information available on screen at the same time?
I realize this thing must be the Bethesdard LARPer wettest dream, but I'd prefer something that's not designed for mentally incapacitated people.

None that I'm aware of, sadly.

There's the Project Lazarus mod that makes UI features accessible in real-time with no Pip-Boy, but I had some issues with it and I can't really give it my seal of approval.

Master

Arbiter
The most important thing is to drop NPC view distance so you can get that "encounter" feel from old Fallouts. Also lower object distance so you cant "see that hill and go there", instead you kinda stumble into things. Theres also a traps mod that highlights traps with a green tint if you have the stats. But in the end, why bother. The game has fundamentaly broken basic design and theres no saving it. play Bloodlines instead and be one of the cool kids.

pippin

I feel jsawyer is the only mod you really need to play New Vegas. At least in the first half of the game it can provide an actual challenge. If you play Hardcore mode with jsawyer you might feel it's a bit too much though.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I feel jsawyer is the only mod you really need to play New Vegas. At least in the first half of the game it can provide an actual challenge. If you play Hardcore mode with jsawyer you might feel it's a bit too much though.

It's true it's a very effective mod to get the game from "easy mode" to "challenging". It's also why it's one of three gameplay mods in my A list: everything else polishes the game up, and the B list digs deeper into actually changing how the game plays by overhauling most gameplay aspects. Immersive Minigames is in the A list because that's just how Fallout used to be, and I thought people would find that an essential mod to play with.

Lgrayman

Novice
Not a bad list but I don't really understand why you're okay with things that increase the fidelity of special effects, character models etc but not textures. I think they're at least worth including somewhere in there in case the person doesn't want to go with a more vanilla look. The game is ugly as sin, it needs all the help it can get.

I'm glad you listed Cirosan's Classic Overhaul, that's my favourite mod; makes the game more like the original games and adds classic traits, makes it harder, re-balances perks and stats, makes character creation more important.

In terms of difficulty, as easy as the game is by default I don't think it's salvageable. The combat is just not very good and making enemies into damage sponges or you into being made of glass is only going to make it more tedious. I usually install a mod that makes it so both me and the enemies take a shitload more damage so the combat can be over as quickly as possible and feel somewhat tense.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Not a bad list but I don't really understand why you're okay with things that increase the fidelity of special effects, character models etc but not textures. I think they're at least worth including somewhere in there in case the person doesn't want to go with a more vanilla look. The game is ugly as sin, it needs all the help it can get.

New Vegas retexture quality is all over the place. Truly all over it. Skyrim has consistently outstanding retextures for almost everything you can think of, but New Vegas simply doesn't. We have Weapon Retexture Project to take care of guns, but most melee and unarmed weapons have yet to receive retextures of any kind. Making a list of graphics means I would have to recommend the obvious, but if people are interested I'm willing to add graphic mods that look outstanding (WRP, Wasteland Clothing Hi-Res, and similars). I added special effects because they have all been covered by one single guy, same with character models (well, two people for the two sexes, and a few options for the heads).

It's also a slippery slope. First you install a mod to retexture the landscape, then to retexture the weapons, later the armor, and eventually you find yourself retexturing cherry bombs. Alas, the downsides of going 3D over 2D.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that some mods have good looking textures worth using, but 90% of the mod is shit, meaning we need also go into very specific "delete these textures" details.

Last edited:

Master

Arbiter
The game is ugly as sin, it needs all the help it can get

The game is ugly but adding stuff is not gonna make it better. In fact the opposite may be true. Add more shit to shit and you just got a bigger pile of shit, right? Because the game just has no style whatsoever. So the best you can do is strip it of as much detail as you can. Turn off everything (except textures) and use that decluter mod. Rack up AA and AF as much as you can so it looks as clean as possible. Then you can pretend this barebones look is the games style. Someone also suggested playing it in 640x480. That sounds cool but may be too much for some.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The game is ugly but adding stuff is not gonna make it better. In fact the opposite may be true. Add more shit to shit and you just got a bigger pile of shit, right? Because the game just has no style whatsoever. So the best you can do is strip it of as much detail as you can. Turn off everything (except textures) and use that decluter mod. Rack up AA and AF as much as you can so it looks as clean as possible. Then you can pretend this barebones look is the games style. Someone also suggested playing it in 640x480. That sounds cool but may be too much for some.

Maybe the game needs the official Sigourn™ treatment...

g_Kj0_ZOa.jpg

FeelTheRads

Arcane

I started it now (first playthrough really, though I tried a couple of time before) with Sawyer and hardcore, but I found hardcore to be just tedious and a waste of time, so I turned it off. With just Sawyer on, though, I find it very easy. Meh. Absolutely shit gameplay, one of the worst I've ever encountered. I'm no stranger to playing games with shit gameplay because of other reasons, but this is really pushing my patience, there's really only barely enough there to make me trudge through it, but I don't know for how long.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I started it now (first playthrough really, though I tried a couple of time before) with Sawyer and hardcore, but I found hardcore to be just tedious and a waste of time, so I turned it off. With just Sawyer on, though, I find it very easy. Meh. Absolutely shit gameplay, one of the worst I've ever encountered. I'm no stranger to playing games with shit gameplay because of other reasons, but this is really pushing my patience, there's really only barely enough there to make me trudge through it, but I don't know for how long.

Play with Vicious Wastes and all the recommended mods. Particularly the ones related to gunplay. It's a completely different experience.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Is the list in the order that they're supposed to be installed?

Nope. Maybe one day I will get around to making a proper installation order, just not this week or the next.

Yo wtf homie, how am I supposed to install 35 mods with no install order?

Anyone with decent experience modding New Vegas already uses the more complicated mods in that list: bug-fixing mods, overhauls, cut content mods, character and body replacers.

Everything else is fairly easy to install. Like I said, though, I don't have the time to make an installation guide during these two weeks. It requires a lot of work and time, and I just don't have the latter.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
so... the only way to get these mods is to pay money? i'm not paying much attention...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom