Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout: great game after bad first impression

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I mutated thanks to being exposed to radioactivity in The Glow. Lost my Small Frame and became Gifted instead. Now I can carry Gatling Laser and Turbo Plasma Rifle and mean it.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Finally got the Power Armour. But in inventory, before putting it on, it looks more like a vacum cleaner.

BTW, what's up with the "Calm other faction" and "Water thief" quests I'm supposed to have solved in Vault 13?

Sentinel

Finally got the Power Armour. But in inventory, before putting it on, it looks more like a vacum cleaner.

BTW, what's up with the "Calm other faction" and "Water thief" quests I'm supposed to have solved in Vault 13?
Calm other faction - there is a group of people rebelling against the Overseer. You just need to talk to their leader (I think her name is Theresa) and convince them to stand down.
Water thief - there is a person that steals water from a room with lockers at night. You just need to wait outside the room at midnight and apprehend the thief.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Hmm...I didn't do any of those things. I talked to Theresa, but I recall being surprised that a named NPC had nothing to say.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Calm other faction - there is a group of people rebelling against the Overseer. You just need to talk to their leader (I think her name is Theresa) and convince them to stand down.
Water thief - there is a person that steals water from a room with lockers at night. You just need to wait outside the room at midnight and apprehend the thief.

Hmm...I didn't do any of those things. I talked to Theresa, but I recall being surprised that a named NPC had nothing to say.[/QUOTE]

Those quests likely expire and are marked as complete after you return the water chip.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You mean you are supposed to do them before returning the water chip?

When you start the game, you can't re-enter the vaul from the cave, but you can enter from the overland map, which I thought was lame.

Sentinel

When you start the game, you can't re-enter the vaul from the cave, but you can enter from the overland map, which I thought was lame.

Yes, why would there be a water thief after you return the water chip?

octavius

Arcane
Patron

You have a point there. OTOH why does the game give me that crap about not being able to re-enter the vault due to a "malfunction" or something?
So you are supposed to fight your way through the rat caves and then re-enter the vault from overland map? That's Bethesda class stupid.

Sentinel

You have a point there. OTOH why does the game give me that crap about not being able to re-enter the vault due to a "malfunction" or something?
So you are supposed to fight your way through the rat caves and then re-enter the vault from overland map? That's Bethesda class stupid.

Unfortunately Fallout is a bit unpolished in some places.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Iirc, they locked the door behind you and it unlocks after a certain amount of time. If you go back there, you can do those quests.

schluberlubs

Educated
Plus, when you return to the vault, you get the map that lets you go directly to parts of the vault. Just like with other locations IIRC. (Reminds me, I should replay fallout soon. :):obviously:)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Heh, those Super Mutants are mostly harmless now that I have Power Armor.
And like unpatched vanilla Baldur's Gate they lack "call for help" scripts, making it easy to pluck them down one by one in the Military Base. They seemed much more alert under The Cathedral, though, so maybe it helps not having Ian and Tycho milling about? They both were killed in the base when for some reason they thought a good tactic was to enter the guard room with a dozen Super Mutants and use up their AP to move into melee.

Endemic

Arcane
Vault 13's unlocked after 24 hours.

Yeah, companions are useless at that point because they can't equip armor. Best to leave them behind before dealing with the base.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
And on May 31st 2162 it was over:

3N6G346.png

I liked that I could start with a rather weak, nerdy character
Z6SwP4q.png

and end up as a major mutant mutilator
lhzbQ9y.png

Sentinel

And on May 31st 2162 it was over:

3N6G346.png

I liked that I could start with a rather weak, nerdy character
Z6SwP4q.png

and end up as a major mutant mutilator
lhzbQ9y.png

Apparently you did not pick up the psychic nullifier and your perception got damaged by the Master.

Playing with 5 points in Agility makes combat challenging.

Last edited by a moderator:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Apparently you did not pick up the psychic nullifier and your perception got damaged by the Master.

Yes, but the weird thing was that it happened when I was approaching his corpse. I actually used the good old Sniper Rifle for much of the fight, as I didn't want to get too close.

I had just enough action points to make called shots with the Sniper Rifle. But I increased it later in the Brotherhood, and was eventually able to shoot twice a round with the Turbo Plasma Rifle.

More challenging was playing with Small Frame and 5 STR. Being only able to carry 100 weight was frustrating, so I was very happy when I mutated and could switch Small Frame with Gifted.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Yes, but the weird thing was that it happened when I was approaching his corpse. I actually used the good old Sniper Rifle for much of the fight, as I didn't want to get too close.

I had just enough action points to make called shots with the Sniper Rifle. But I increased it later in the Brotherhood, and was eventually able to shoot twice a round with the Turbo Plasma Rifle.

More challenging was playing with Small Frame and 5 STR. Being only able to carry 100 weight was frustrating, so I was very happy when I mutated and could switch Small Frame with Gifted.

Gifted is a good starting trait. Some would say overpowered.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Heh, according to Wikipedia killing The Master in combat is "an extremely difficult task".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom