Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout: great game after bad first impression

Black

Arcane
I don't like DnD style combat as it leaves too much to chance. The major problem with DnD spell system is the presence of powerful spells and saving throws that can easily decide to outcome of the battle. Take the Friendly Arm encounter in BG for instance: an assassin casts Fear when the battle starts. If you and Imoen both fail the saving throw the battle is over. Insta-kill spells like Disintegrate have saving throws as well, leading to even more randomness.

In Fallout you have random criticals, but their results are hardly spectacular enough to decide the outcome of a battle, unless someone rolls an armor-ignoring crit.
You're not Makabb. Thank God every day for that.

Sentinel

You're not Makabb. Thank God every day for that.

Who knows, I might develop a similar reputation over time ;)

BTW, profile statistics seem to be broken on this forum. Brofists and most other "icons" are counted towards "Negative ratings received".

Last edited by a moderator:

Sentinel

Too bad that's practically every CRPG ever.

It depends on how spectacular the effects of dice rolls are. If a game engine simply uses dice rolls to determine how many points of damage from 5-10 range your character deals, it is not a big issue. In a prolonged battle average damage will get closer to 7.5 with each attack.

Using dice rolls to decide the result of insta-kill attack is another matter.

There might be RPGs that do not use random generators at all. Starcraft 1 units famously deal a fixed amount of damage with every attack, perhaps some RPG titles implement a similar mechanic.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
No RNG is p. banal. RNG adds some unpredictability which is fun.

But use RNG that tends towards average results with character skills and circumstance modifiers affecting it more than blind luck, instead of swingy linear rolls.

Sentinel

Funny thing: click "Third World" under Excidium's avatar and see what country is displayed in Google Maps.

Sentinel

But use RNG that tends towards average results with character skills and circumstance modifiers affecting it more than blind luck, instead of swingy linear rolls.

It does not matter, whether the distribution is linear, gaussian or something different. The point I am making is that there should be no random driven insta-kill/insta-win spells.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

It does not matter, whether the distribution is linear, gaussian or something different. The point I am making is that there should be no random driven insta-kill/insta-win spells.
Dunno. To me it'd depend on how it's implemented. But that sort of thing tends to be lame in CRPGs since all it does is prompt a reload.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Had to change my avatar, lurkers impersonating greatest shitposters of our times :argh:, i have a credibility here to uphold you know.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Dunno. To me it'd depend on how it's implemented. But that sort of thing tends to be lame in CRPGs since all it does is prompt a reload.

Yes, that's why some people permaquit Bloodbowl.
Elves can't dodge on a bad day.
Orc dying to a halfling stomp.
Goblin bomb killing a treeman laying prone on the ground.

Is this terrible when it happens to you?
Yes.
It's terribly funny when I inflict it on my enemies.

Sentinel

Had to change my avatar, lurkers impersonating greatest shitposters of our times :argh:, i have a credibility here to uphold you know.

I can change my avatar to something different, if you want me to.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't like DnD style combat as it leaves too much to chance. The major problem with DnD spell system is the presence of powerful spells and saving throws that can easily decide to outcome of the battle.

That's like the main draw of these games. This and their scope and setting (and Minsc). Otherwise they would be pretty forgettable.
And saving throws? That's weak! How about no save (Imprison)? :P

In Fallout you have random criticals, but their results are hardly spectacular enough to decide the outcome of a battle, unless someone rolls an armor-ignoring crit.

Oh, but they can be spectacular all right. Especially if you build for them. Fortunately for the PC, enemies don't.

Sentinel

Found the Water Chip at last, but I was 15-30 minutes too late for the return caravan. :argh:
Being late is not pure chance, it is up to you to find the water chip in 150 days. On the other hand, you do not have any control over dice rolls.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Found the Water Chip at last, but I was 15-30 minutes too late for the return caravan. :argh:
Being late is not pure chance, it is up to you to find the water chip in 150 days. On the other hand, you do not have any control over dice rolls.

Sorry I didn't make it clear, but I'm talking about my job as a caravan guard. I figured I could as well make some extra bucks will traveling to the Necropolis, so I joined the Caravan traveling there. But the Caravan stops only for 2 hours before returning, and I spent more than 2, but less than 3 hours to find the Water Chip.

Of course the 150 days is more than enough time. You have to be incompetent, or having your play style handicapped by some serious OCD issues, if you need more than 150 days to find the chip.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It's funny how all corpses disappear after a while (less than a day, I think), but Gizmo remains slumped behind his desk, apparantly being too heavy for the undertakers.
And what an insult it was for The Hero of Junktown to be denied access to Junktown after dark, like he was just some random punk!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Hmm...midget failed business school?

sfWrcaV.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom