Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout: great game after bad first impression

dunno lah

Arcane
Well...I know that you can easily run away from combat by entering combat mode before someone turns hostile, then slowly run away while staying in combat mode. (Hit/Spam A just as combat mode ends).

Yes, I've used this method before to avoid random encounters, and yes, I'm proud of using this exploit I found out on my own.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
I think that both Gymkata, and [the] Gun-kata, should have been perks in Fallout.
mohawk.gif

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I vastly prefer turn-based combat and really enjoy combat in Fallout 1 and 2, especially with big guns or energy weapons. Melting your enemies or blowing them in half with a critical shot is always extremely satisfying. :smug:
Arcanum's combat is pretty shit but I gotta say the worst I've seen is Inquisitor's.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
The cat on this can seriously looks like he lost his will to live and considers to just end it. Who would torture their pet like that?

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
They're suffering when consuming this quality product, though

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The product had to be tested in the animals in the final state of the making at least, so they suffered.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
You can blow Scorpitron with 2 RPG (In Wasteland 1). The Death Claw is always annoying if you don´t have good gun skills and power armor.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You can blow Scorpitron with 2 RPG (In Wasteland 1). The Death Claw is always annoying if you don´t have good gun skills and power armor.

10 Perception, 100 Small Arms, Hunting Rifle, some Grenades and Combat Shotgun did the trick for me. But Dogmeat dealt the killing bite. Atta boy!
RAScbOR.png

Last edited:

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Yeah, I remember that the first time I killed I went with Ian and that woman of the Followers of the Apocalypse (cannon fodder) using those plasma? grenade and machine gun (I think). You did it at first try?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, I remember that the first time I killed I went with Ian and that woman of the Followers of the Apocalypse (cannon fodder) using those plasma? grenade and machine gun (I think). You did it at first try?

Yes.
I think high Percepetion helped a good deal, having max chance of hitting head (didn't take chance on eyes, in case there was something to that hypnotize rumour). Also, I was quite lucky with the grenades, hitting with only about 60% chance.
High Endurance also meant I could take some beating.

Fast Shot an One Handed Perk to make sure I hit a lot, which means no sledges or owt but theres plenty on other stuff.

A lot of people seem to like going with Fast Shot in both Fallout games. I can't imagine playing them without targeted shots, though. Wouldn't it take forever to kill anything without those guaranteed eye crits?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Fast Shot an One Handed Perk to make sure I hit a lot, which means no sledges or owt but theres plenty on other stuff.

A lot of people seem to like going with Fast Shot in both Fallout games. I can't imagine playing them without targeted shots, though. Wouldn't it take forever to kill anything without those guaranteed eye crits?

If you use single shot weapons yes.
But if you wield automatic/heavy weapons like SMG, Flamer, Minigun, (Fallout2) Bozar, Rocket Launcher it's a great choice since those doesn't come with targeted VATS anyway.

Sentinel

Is combat really that important? Fallout is one of few games that does allow players to role play anything other than a warrior.

Are there really any RPGs other than Diablo clones with good combat?

Declinator

Arbiter
Is combat really that important? Fallout is one of few games that does allow players to role play anything other than a warrior.

Are there really any RPGs other than Diablo clones with good combat?

Knights of the Chalice
Goldbox games (Pool of Radiance etc)
Temple of Elemental Evil
Divinity: Original Sin

Then you have also-rans like Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun: Hong Kong.

And if we count sort-of RPGs then definitely Souls series (Dark Souls etc.)
On the J-side there is also Final Fantasy Tactics but your mileage may vary.

But remember, Knights of the Chalice. Looks like crap but plays like a dream.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Is there any point in bags and backpacks in Fallout?
In my experience they are cumbersome to use, eat up carrying capacity and if you have all your money in a bag you can't pay for drinks in bars.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
The bagpacks supposedly are for have some order in the inventory (from the manual), I used them to store my steampacks and drugs separately from the other garbage. But if you compare with other games with no weight limit, it's useless.

Sentinel

I don't like DnD style combat as it leaves too much to chance. The major problem with DnD spell system is the presence of powerful spells and saving throws that can easily decide to outcome of the battle. Take the Friendly Arm encounter in BG for instance: an assassin casts Fear when the battle starts. If you and Imoen both fail the saving throw the battle is over. Insta-kill spells like Disintegrate have saving throws as well, leading to even more randomness.

In Fallout you have random criticals, but their results are hardly spectacular enough to decide the outcome of a battle, unless someone rolls an armor-ignoring crit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom