Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fixt by Sduibek

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Good news! I'm actively working on Fallout Fixt again. I really hate that it's been 3.5yr since the last release. :argh: I'm hoping to have some files ready for testing by the end of this year.

As an aside, the added features and fixes in Crafty's ddraw (Sfall) since my last Fixt release are very cool! It's gonna be great to have this be part of the next Fixt release.

Speaking of which - I could use some input from the Purist / Fixes-Only folks among you. :obviously: Some of these are basically interface modernizations, but in so doing they fix annoyances which to me counts as a fix.

Please let me know which of these Sfall things you think should be included in a 'Fixes Only' / Purist install:

;Remove "Friendly Foe" perk, but have the effect active
RemoveFriendlyFoe=
^it's default in Fallout 2.

;To add additional quests to the pipboy, uncomment the next line and set it to point to a file containing quests information
;QuestsFile=quests.ini
^there's some quests in the game that don't display in PIP-Boy but could, which is handy for completists and such.

;Set to 1 to enable sale of used (not-full-charges) Geiger Counter/Stealth Boy
CanSellUsedGeiger=
^self-explanatory.

;Set to 1 to disable weapon animation (put away/take out) when searching containers and doing other stuff
InstantWeaponEquip=
^annoyance fix.

;Fix "Pressing A to enter combat before anything else happens, thus getting infinite free running"
;It is possible to take items, to open containers and to use something on someone if
;aim nearby (1 hex). After aggressive action (shot/blow/etc) it is possible to move.
FakeCombatFix=
^scummer/cheater fix. could cause annoyance for some but infinite running exploit is really fucking cheap. It allows the player to avoid many challenges which shouldn't be avoidable, including avoiding ALL random encounters.

;Turns off the effects of drug abuse to prevent skill, books and perk gain exploits
DrugExploitFix=
^scummer/cheater fix. (although i'm personally guilty of doing this, lol)

;Stack together identical weapon without bullets
StackEmptyWeapons=
^modernization / annoyance fix.

;Enable view of free weight in an exchange window
FreeWeight=

;Prevents you from using super stims on a critter who is at full health.
SuperStimExploitFix=
^scummer/cheater fix. Also killing someone with explosives or superstims without them dying in combat can cause issues with various scripts/quests.

;Set to 1 to add additional pages of save slots
ExtraSaveSlots=

;Set to 1 to force the player to play the idle animation when reloading their weapon
PlayIdleAnimOnReload=
^not a fix obviously but makes sense in terms of realism / immersion.

;Prevents you from saving in combat except at the start of your turn to avoid a few bugs
;Set to 2 to block all saving in combat
SaveInCombatFix=
^ could cause annoyance for some but it legitimately does prevent bugs/crashes.

;Prevents you from using 0 to escape from dialogue at any time.
DialogueFix=
^ prevents a range of exploits, bugs, and issues. scummer/cheater fix.

;Time limit in years. Must be between -3 and 13
;Set to -1 to remove the time limit, and automatically reset the date back to 2161 each time you would have reached it
;Set to -3 (or -2) to remove the time limit, automatically reset the date and override fallouts function to return the correct year
TimeLimit=-3
^otherwise the game locks up completely at 13 years.

;A key (LShift) to press to toggle the highlighting of all items on the ground on the current map
ToggleItemHighlightsKey=
;Also highlight containers
TurnHighlightContainers=

;Set to 1 to remove the limits that stop the player rolling critical successes/misses in the first few days of game time
RemoveCriticalTimelimits=
^not sure about this one, i could go either way.
---
Sduibek was last seen: Sep 18, 2017
NMA wins again.
I still love you guys though. :salute::hug:

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
Will the new version have the conversion to Fallout 2's engine?

I am ok with these additions.
- To add additional quests to the pipboy, uncomment the next line and set it to point to a file containing quests information -- If it helps tracking progress then I see zero reason for it not being included.
- Set to 1 to enable sale of used (not-full-charges) Geiger Counter/Stealth Boy -- As long as you don't sell it at full price, sure.
- Set to 1 to disable weapon animation (put away/take out) when searching containers and doing other stuff -- Yes, please. man, anything that prevents time wastes is perfect with me.
- Fix "Pressing A to enter combat before anything else happens, thus getting infinite free running" -- Seem tfine to me.
- Stack together identical weapon without bullets -- anything that adds things to improve the inventory management is ok to me.
- Set to 1 to add additional pages of save slots -- I guess this is similar to FO2? this kinda goes either way, don't see any upside or down sides to including it.
- Prevents you from saving in combat except at the start of your turn to avoid a few bugs -- If it prevents bugs then I am in favor, most games now days prevent saving during combat anyway
- Prevents you from using 0 to escape from dialogue at any time. -- Fine with me
- A key (LShift) to press to toggle the highlighting of all items on the ground on the current map -- Nice, hope this one is definitely in.

Will you still include the customization option where you can pick and choose everything you want or don't want still or just choose between selected options.

Really looking forward to the release, hope everything goes perfect.

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Thanks for the feedback and kind words, Xeon! Appreciate it.

Will the new version have the conversion to Fallout 2's engine?
Not yet unfortunately, but it's still planned.

Will you still include the customization option where you can pick and choose everything you want or don't want still or just choose between selected options.
Installer will still include existing customization options, with a bunch of new ones added too. Also in-game customization can now be done via V13 Door Computer.

Lagi

Savant
how long would you work on Fixt, before you become dormant for next eons?
till 2nd January would be enough time for you?

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Should there be a chance to become a ghoul after dipping? (if player has enabled the option for gameplay to continue after being dipped)

Or should it always be Super Mutant?

If yes to the first question, what should the parameters/conditions be to qualify as ghoul instead of super mutant?

Implementing ghoul option would be easy for me so it'll be useful to know what you guys think.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Memory's hazy, but weren't ghouls the byproduct of radiation effects rather than FEV exposure? There'd be no reason to become one after dipping.

Still, if you wanna add the chance, perhaps it could be tied to an END + RAD levels check.

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Mostly yeah, but examples of ghouls or ghoul-looking effects due to FEV exposure are Harold (in The Hub) and Talius (one of the Followers).

Dug into this a bit more - here's excerpts from some Fallout wikis:

- "While FEV does not produce ghoul-like mutants like Harold as reliably as it does Super Mutants when humans are infected by it, it does occasionally spit out something that looks like one."
- "Mutant creatures and where they come from is one of the most controversial topics in Fallout canon and it's very easy to annoy veteran scholars of the setting by getting things wrong or even just partially right." (lol)
- "Chris Taylor offers a different point of view on how ghouls are made. He suggests that when people with too much radiation damage are dipped, you get ghouls. When people with mild radiation damage are dipped, you get stupid super mutants. When people with little to no radiation damage are dipped, you get intelligent Super Mutants."

-

Also would automatically discarding unneeded holodisks be considered acceptable in Fixes Only, or nah?

Otherwise you get to the end with like 9 to 13 useless holodisks if you're a completist which is just nuts. Someone who hasn't played the game before -- or hasn't in a long time -- will likely keep lugging them around 'in case they need them' which is a shame.

Last edited:

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Good news! I was able to get the endings for Vats/Master fixed so in next release the order you finished them in will match the slideshow. This is actually a vanilla bug so it's nice to finally have it resolved.

Also I fixed a couple more crashes today. Yasss

agris

Arcane
Patron
As an aside, the added features and fixes in Crafty's ddraw (Sfall) since my last Fixt release are very cool! It's gonna be great to have this be part of the next Fixt release.

Speaking of which - I could use some input from the Purist / Fixes-Only folks among you. :obviously: Some of these are basically interface modernizations, but in so doing they fix annoyances which to me counts as a fix.

Please let me know which of these Sfall things you think should be included in a 'Fixes Only' / Purist install:

;Remove "Friendly Foe" perk, but have the effect active
RemoveFriendlyFoe=
^it's default in Fallout 2.

;To add additional quests to the pipboy, uncomment the next line and set it to point to a file containing quests information
;QuestsFile=quests.ini
^there's some quests in the game that don't display in PIP-Boy but could, which is handy for completists and such.

CanSellUsedGeiger=
^self-explanatory.

;Set to 1 to disable weapon animation (put away/take out) when searching containers and doing other stuff
InstantWeaponEquip=
^annoyance fix.

;Fix "Pressing A to enter combat before anything else happens, thus getting infinite free running"
;It is possible to take items, to open containers and to use something on someone if
;aim nearby (1 hex). After aggressive action (shot/blow/etc) it is possible to move.
FakeCombatFix=
^scummer/cheater fix. could cause annoyance for some but infinite running exploit is really fucking cheap. It allows the player to avoid many challenges which shouldn't be avoidable, including avoiding ALL random encounters.

;Turns off the effects of drug abuse to prevent skill, books and perk gain exploits
DrugExploitFix=
^scummer/cheater fix. (although i'm personally guilty of doing this, lol)

StackEmptyWeapons=

FreeWeight=

SuperStimExploitFix=
^scummer/cheater fix. Also killing someone with explosives or superstims without them dying in combat can cause issues with various scripts/quests.

ExtraSaveSlots=

;Set to 1 to force the player to play the idle animation when reloading their weapon
PlayIdleAnimOnReload=
^not a fix obviously but makes sense in terms of realism / immersion.

;Prevents you from saving in combat except at the start of your turn to avoid a few bugs
;Set to 2 to block all saving in combat
SaveInCombatFix=
^ could cause annoyance for some but it legitimately does prevent bugs/crashes.

DialogueFix=
^ prevents a range of exploits, bugs, and issues. scummer/cheater fix.

;Set to -1 to remove the time limit, and automatically reset the date back to 2161 each time you would have reached it
;Set to -3 (or -2) to remove the time limit, automatically reset the date and override fallouts function to return the correct year
TimeLimit=-3
^otherwise the game locks up completely at 13 years.

;A key (LShift) to press to toggle the highlighting of all items on the ground on the current map
ToggleItemHighlightsKey=
TurnHighlightContainers=

;Set to 1 to remove the limits that stop the player rolling critical successes/misses in the first few days of game time
RemoveCriticalTimelimits=
^not sure about this one, i could go either way.

Which version of Crafty's are you using?

Regarding purist-only options:

Remove "Friendly Foe" perk, but have the effect active
Enable it

Don't enable it, offer it as additional install option

Enable it

Enable it

Enable it

Enable it

Enable it, use 10 pages

Enable it, use setting 2

Enable it

Enable it, use setting -3

The philosophy I'm using above is that if it offers quality of life improvements and/or fixes bugs without making the game easier or changing gameplay closely associated to the game (drugs exploits, superstim assassinations), enable it. If it makes the game easier (highlight items & containers), or changes a core aesthetic component (idle on reload, disable putting the weapon away on interact), leave it as optional.

I use a lot of those "Make it optional" components, but I've beaten Fallout 1 more times than I can count.

I would also populate and enable the game speed mulltiplier options, with keys 1 - 0 being for 100%, 125%, 150%, 200%, 300% etc and 0 being for 75%, respectively, and of course start the game at 100%. I think I always set the modifier key to left CTRL.

Separately, I assume you're going to disable your feature of giving a new player weapons and items based on their tagged skills? We talked about this over a year ago, but it really ruins the item progression and early game difficulty / item scarcity.

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
agris Thanks so much for the detailed response, wow! Super helpful as usual. :cool:

The philosophy I'm using above is that if it offers quality of life improvements and/or fixes bugs without making the game easier or changing gameplay closely associated to the game (drugs exploits, superstim assassinations), enable it. If it makes the game easier (highlight items & containers), or changes a core aesthetic component (idle on reload, disable putting the weapon away on interact), leave it as optional.
Makes sense! Cool.

Which version of Crafty's are you using?
1.7.6 at the moment although I learned a couple days ago 1.8 (newer) exists so I'll be testing that one out for stability and whatnot. He added a lot of stuff between 1.7.6 and 1.8.

I would also populate and enable the game speed mulltiplier options, with keys 1 - 0 being for 100%, 125%, 150%, 200%, 300% etc and 0 being for 75%, respectively, and of course start the game at 100%. I think I always set the modifier key to left CTRL.
Heh, I can't do 100% any more personally. Watching the character run across the screen @ 100% is like watching paint dry. But with legs. When I'm testing I do 120% because it's really boring otherwise, normal gameplay I usually have it between 104 to 110. The default with fresh install of Fixt is currently 110% or 104% I forget which; either way, haven't gotten any complaints that I recall.

EDIT: 106% seems to be the sweet spot, determined after some testing.

Separately, I assume you're going to disable your feature of giving a new player weapons and items based on their tagged skills? We talked about this over a year ago, but it really ruins the item progression and early game difficulty / item scarcity.
Yep! Already done. If the player selects Fixes Only / Purist or purist-adjacent options, they will get exactly the same items as in vanilla - regarding both the tagged skill items and the base items. Check it out at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RnVz7Mfct14Xw3P4l8LNZHX2NpBQd_4z8c1r75-o3R0/edit?usp=sharing and commenting is enabled.

Beyond that, independent of if Fixes Only or not, player will also be able to choose any of the following if they're doing a custom install (or via in-game customizations) if they wish:
- Only start with base items
- Only start with tagged skill items
- Start with no items

I do still think Science should just be 2 Mentats on a 'fixes only' config unless i'm missing something (vanilla is 2 Mentats and 2 Buffout which doesn't make sense) and Traps should be 1 Dynamite. I've marked this clearly in the doc for folks to comment on.

Last edited:

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Finally giving some real TLC to the Overseer endgame interaction - it needed some.

From my running log for the next release :

Code:
 - During endgame sequence with the Overseer:
   -- Animations and audio/video are now in sync, and they last an appropriate amount of time.
   -- It's no longer possible to run away and otherwise interfere with or break the interaction.
   -- If you kill him you're no longer left with a free phantom 10mm Pistol.
   -- Death sound effect now actually plays if/when he dies.
   -- Once dead, his body is no longer obscured by the Vault door platform art afterward.

^ for the record, I think those were all vanilla bugs.

Last edited:

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
I figured y'all could use a christmas holiday present, so, here's my current version of Fixt files you can play with!

THESE FILES ARE FOR TESTING ONLY - THIS IS NOT TO BE CONSIDERED A PATCH OR RELEASE

With any luck however, it should be more stable than the previous release (since these files fix several bugs and crashes).

It also includes Sfall1 (ddraw) v1.7.6 by Crafty! Lots of new stuff with it, check out ddraw.ini :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EznLws1nHJ2dee3dTeqpOdwZwXgLLpc2

1) Back up your current Fallout Fixt installation.
2) Drop these into your Fallout Fixt folder.
3) Say yes when asked to overwrite.

Details about what's included can be found at: http://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/...rked-on-dec-2018.194562/page-188#post-4307860

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom