Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fixt by Sduibek

agris

Arcane
Patron
Big Guns, Melee and Lockpicking. Started the game with a flamer + fuel in the rat cave (...) this is an anathema to Fallout 1 and must be purged.
Could you elaborate more on this? The overall idea with this part of the project (see link below) was to make starting inventory vary a lot more based on what character and difficulty was chosen, thus making a more unique starting experience for each playthrough.
I can understand people disagreeing based on (for example) the item being worth a lot of caps or being overpowered at game start.

On the other hand, I personally feel it's pretty stupid for only half the skills to have any game-start item advantage whatsoever:
-- If I tag Big Guns and Energy Weapons, that helps me literally zero until mid/late-game for most players.
-- If I tag Gambling, Speech, and Traps, I get jack shit besides base items (and base items don't vary based on difficulty either in Vanilla btw).
-- If I tag Barter, Sneak, and Melee Weapons, I also get jack shit on game start for it.
^ I don't really understand how that's a "good thing" in terms of game mechanics. Just because a mechanic/experience was the way the game shipped, doesn't necessarily mean it was a good or fair or reasonable mechanic/experience.

Here's exactly the formulas for starting items: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3kd14bzwbn0li9z/Starting_Items.xls?dl=0 -- let me know agris if you have any other specific thoughts about this sheet.

The plan for the next release is to allow players to enable or disable Base Items and Tagged-Skill Items in the installer and customizer. So if you want you can set everyone to only start with base items and tagging does not affect inventory. Or only start with tagged-skill-based items (hence why each skill has an associated item). Or can set everyone to start nekkid.

I think your "fixes only" option should not touch the items that the player starts with based on tagged skills. Big Guns and Energy Weapons are purposefully gated content that the player doesn't see, much less have access to, for the first 1/3rd or so of the game. To give the player a Flamer or Laser pistol at the start breaks this.

Does that penalize a player who picks either of those skill at the start? Yup. But that's the era of games that Fallout comes from. You can tag Outdoors, Gambling and Doctor and do fuck-all in the game world. If you're against this, find it too ivory-tower (which it is, no doubt), then why not provide a pop-up warning the players about the relative uselessness of these skills? It's a slippery slope to go from 'help the player out' to changing the nature of the game. To a brand new player, Fallout can be hard. The game expected you to start over a few times.

That being said, wrap your modified starting items into an optional enhanced component, and the problem goes away. But I don't think it belongs in the "fixes" category at all.

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Fair enough, thanks for the response & clarifications. :cool:

Those should be easy changes to make in the next release. Hey and that means you'll be able to actually try the mod this time! lol

It's a slippery slope to go from 'help the player out' to changing the nature of the game.

357q7m1.jpg

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
I also dont understand the logic of varying game start equipment on skills. We can change the game difficulty on the fly, right? we can just start the game on lowest difficulty and change it to highest when you can control your game.

I hate losing out on equipment for things I can control and affect.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Those should be easy changes to make in the next release. Hey and that means you'll be able to actually try the mod this time! lol

Cool. I, and I think "we", are happy that you don't suffer from Modder Ego Syndrome(TM) and can take feedback.

Speaking of feedback: why continue to work on Fixt in the FO1 engine when you plan to port the game to the FO2 engine? Wouldn't it make sense to stop development of a codebase that's going to need a lot of modification during the port anyway, and get the Fixt version of FO1 into FO2, and continue to fix it there?

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Modder Ego Syndrome(TM)
That's a thing? Yikes.
RPGCodex gets the credit though in this regard, because you all have smacked me in the face every time I went in retarded directions. (Which is good)

Speaking of feedback: why continue to work on Fixt in the FO1 engine when you plan to port the game to the FO2 engine? Wouldn't it make sense to stop development of a codebase that's going to need a lot of modification during the port anyway, and get the Fixt version of FO1 into FO2, and continue to fix it there?
Converting the scripts and header files to Fo2 format actually doesn't take very long, thankfully. Some command line stuff, an hour of reformatting various files, an hour of Find All / Replace All and you're good.

I'd rather get the Fo1-engine version "done" first -- that way at least the community can have a finished product of sorts while I continue taking way too fucking goddamn long working on the Fo2-engine version. But you are right, there's good arguments in either direction for sure.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Modder Ego Syndrome(TM)
That's a thing? Yikes.
RPGCodex gets the credit though in this regard, because you all have smacked me in the face every time I went in retarded directions. (Which is good)

Converting the scripts and header files to Fo2 format actually doesn't take very long, thankfully. Some command line stuff, an hour of reformatting various files, an hour of Find All / Replace All and you're good.

I'd rather get the Fo1-engine version "done" first -- that way at least the community can have a finished product of sorts while I continue taking way too fucking goddamn long working on the Fo2-engine version. But you are right, there's good arguments in either direction for sure.

Unfortunately it is. That's reasonable regarding the scripts. As I understand it, a large amount of the work of the conversion is getting the FO1 area maps into FO2 and the random encounters?

Lexx

Cipher
Random encounter table will be painful. I've checked out that shit a while ago... it's not that it's hard to do, it's just a shitton of grind work. Luckily Fo1 actually doesn't have that many different encounter types, so you'll save yourself a lot work with just reusing the basic tables in many of the zones.

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
laclongquan Tigranes agris Lexx How immersion-breaking would it be to have a float message above the Vault 13 door computer (or a console message in the message box) immediately upon game start, reminding player they can use it for customizations?
  • Pro: Potentially helpful for people who didn't read/realize that in-game customizations are now a thing.
  • Con: Potentially broken fourth-wall because reasons.
^ If that's OK would it be preferred as the float above the door computer or as a console message in the message box?

I've already phrased the customization flows themselves while interacting with the door computer as "in-game" as I can, this is just a bit of housekeeping and tying up loose ends.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Thanks guys
this is a total fanfic/LARPer type suggestion, but I would make the notification OBVIOUS by default (floater), but disable-able, and let us "notice a loose panel" and "bang on it" on the vault door computer to access the in-game customization options. If you want more verbose wording, PM me and I'll be happy to provide it.

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Thanks guys
this is a total fanfic/LARPer type suggestion, but I would make the notification OBVIOUS by default (floater), but disable-able, and let us "notice a loose panel" and "bang on it" on the vault door computer to access the in-game customization options. If you want more verbose wording, PM me and I'll be happy to provide it.
Yesssss please PM me with any/all ideas!

EDIT: I've updated with WIP screenshots in the post below.

Last edited:

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
agris WIP

The console msg and float would of course only display once. They display immediately upon game start.

2my4wgj.jpg

After using door computer:

zlaxie.jpg

Customization menu, once select in V13DoorComp dialog:

fck8sj.jpg

Some of the Vault 13 Water Days Left customization options:

2gxjrd1.jpg

Next release will have more robust version confirmation/checking for bug reports and the paranoid among us: [look at bottom of screenshot]

24ypmoi.jpg

Last edited:

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
agris Jaesun

I'm running into a bit of a roadblock with the INT < 4 version of selections for the customizer. Some of these customizations are fairly complex, so it's difficult to write a Stupid version without just confusing the player. Any ideas how to make it work and be legible while still being immersive?

Options I can think of so far are:
1) Just write the options in typical Fallout INT<4 fashion and hope the player understands them
2) Write the options in brackets to make it clear the player isn't saying those things per se
3) Not allow customizations for Stupid characters (I assume this is a bad idea though so I don't plan on it)
4) Write the ones "in Stupid-speak" that I can, and put the rest in brackets (see #2 above)

UNRELATED: I noticed TeamX changed some of the hirelings' SPECIAL stats and starting skill values, and it's not mentioned in their readme. Huh. So I'll fix that in the next release.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
agris Jaesun

I'm running into a bit of a roadblock with the INT < 4 version of selections for the customizer. Some of these customizations are fairly complex, so it's difficult to write a Stupid version without just confusing the player. Any ideas how to make it work and be legible while still being immersive?

Options I can think of so far are:
1) Just write the options in typical Fallout INT<4 fashion and hope the player understands them
2) Write the options in brackets to make it clear the player isn't saying those things per se
3) Not allow customizations for Stupid characters (I assume this is a bad idea though so I don't plan on it)
4) Write the ones "in Stupid-speak" that I can, and put the rest in brackets (see #2 above)

UNRELATED: I noticed TeamX changed some of the hirelings' SPECIAL stats and starting skill values, and it's not mentioned in their readme. Huh. So I'll fix that in the next release.
I vote 4. Things like "more" and "more more" and "double more" seem stupid (edit: appropriately stupid) (such as selection of days before the water runs out), if you append those with [60 days] etc, that's about as good as you can get imo.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
NMA wins again.

FAKE NEWS WINS AGAIN.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom