Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fixt by Sduibek

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Definitely won't be finished by the end of tonight. You'd think I'd learn by now that this shit always takes way longer than I anticipate.

BUT, when released, in addition to all the stuff already mentioned above, 0.90beta will have over 50 settings customizable in-game and about 20 optional custom playstyle restrictions (which can be chosen in installer and in-game). Some of the 50 points of customization will be new to this release... options I created in the past but forgot to add to the installer.

Should be plenty to keep everyone busy while waiting for the engine conversion. :cool:

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Okay so for the customizations, should it allow changes that wouldn't normally be allowed?

For example let's say you install with Fixes Only mode, then later change your mind and decide you want Weapon Drop Mod enabled. Well using the files from 0.81alpha, that wouldn't work because Weapon Drop Mod only runs if Fixes Only flag is NOT set.

Basically the question is, should I limit customizations on Fixes Only installs to only what's already available in the Fixes Only installer.

jq3yi1.jpg

34ngn5g.jpg

2qi5hjp.jpg

Last edited:

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
*Added screenshots of the whole process. We shall see if the good people of RPGCodex approve. :obviously:

EDIT: I decided it's way too jumbled on the customization screen. I'll set it up so it's multiple screens instead, that can be navigated with [More] and [Back]. Screenshot to come.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Basically the question is, should I limit customizations on Fixes Only installs to only what's already available in the Fixes Only installer.
I don't think so. Let people customize it however they want, unless there's a technical reason keeping you from doing so. Though if you labelled the options [optional fix] vs [mod], or whatever, some purists might appreciate it.

Looks great btw, I like that you're using the console.

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Cool cool, thanks all for feedback. Keep it coming!

btw for the customizations confirmation/warning message... I tried to phrase it as in-game/canon as possible. SimTek 5000 is specifically mentioned in the Fallout manual as being what generates the in-game GUI for the Vault Dweller, and the 2nd sentence is a paraphrase of a sentence in the manual. The 3rd sentence is just a warning that changing shit might cause in-game issues of course, and the warranty line is just for fun but I think it fits the Fallout atmosphere. Also is a fun way to reiterate "continue at your own risk".

Welcome to your SimTek 5000 interactive customization! Vault-Tec is committed to providing a pleasant integration into the outside world. Remember, incorrect settings may cause unstable anomalies! Warranty void after 2077.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I don't think so. Let people customize it however they want, unless there's a technical reason keeping you from doing so. Though if you labelled the options [optional fix] vs [mod], or whatever, some purists might appreciate it.

Looks great btw, I like that you're using the console.
This!

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So uhm, when is the 0.90 version coming? :)

What restored sfx/gfx n stuff is missing from the 0.81a version?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
This mod is so fucking awesome. Thanks Sduibek !

I really like the SimTech 5000 interface for choosing options.

I think it would be better if all extra options were always available from the vault computer. If you want to play the original game you just don't use them.

Tigranes

Arcane
I just replayed FO1 - first time in a few years - and tried Fixt.

Contrary to earlier Codex wailings (which might have been true back then, I don't know), a purist bugs-oriented installation made for a decent experience. No real unwelcome additional content to speak of, mostly stayed out of the way while making life easier in a few small ways.

To be honest, most really annoying bugs had been squashed by TeamX / etc, so for me the big pluses were actually Shift to see items on the ground, the Take All button, and conveniences like that. I'd recommend it overall.

Did get quite a few memory crashes when getting random encs on world map.

That said, I didn't even try to explore some of the more significant options, like the invasions, and mostly stuck to a normal playthrough.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I just replayed FO1 - first time in a few years - and tried Fixt.

Contrary to earlier Codex wailings (which might have been true back then, I don't know), a purist bugs-oriented installation made for a decent experience. No real unwelcome additional content to speak of, mostly stayed out of the way while making life easier in a few small ways.

To be honest, most really annoying bugs had been squashed by TeamX / etc, so for me the big pluses were actually Shift to see items on the ground, the Take All button, and conveniences like that. I'd recommend it overall.

That said, I didn't even try to explore some of the more significant options, like the invasions, and mostly stuck to a normal playthrough.
Just started Fixt 0.81 alpha, tagging Big Guns, Melee and Lockpicking. Started the game with a flamer + fuel in the rat cave, in addition to lockpicks. Maybe you didn't tag any skills with corresponding items? Regardless, this is an anathema to Fallout 1 and must be purged.

Tigranes

Arcane
agris I don't think my tags were that bad, but yes, I forgot to mention that. You seem to get some starting equipment relative to your tagged skills - and I actually threw out the extra pistol and whatever else at the rat caves. It's silly, but it's easy for the player to take care of.

agris

Arcane
Patron
agris I don't think my tags were that bad, but yes, I forgot to mention that. You seem to get some starting equipment relative to your tagged skills - and I actually threw out the extra pistol and whatever else at the rat caves. It's silly, but it's easy for the player to take care of.
I'm not condemning the entire mod, but the initial equipment loadout modified by tagged skills must be removed. I am a purist in this regard I guess, because I haven't been able to proceed with Fixt after that. I'm using TeamX 1.3.5 + Wasteland Ghost stuff, NPC party and Hi-rez mod.

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Good news: I'm not dead! Yaaaas. I have a new (working) computer, less stressful/demanding job, and my work on Fixt should resume soon.
Bad news: Very little progress on Fixt since the last updates I posted here. No ETA on next release.

Plans are still the same: release 0.90beta on Fallout1 engine which will be crash fixes and bug/issue fixes obviously, but also more installer customization options, robust in-game customization options, and 'major' implementations such as continuing play after Vault 13 dead / continuing play regardless of ending. *After that, all work forward will be on Fallout2-engine version.

To be honest, most really annoying bugs had been squashed by TeamX / etc
Accurate, lol.

Sigh... this issue has been bothering me for a while. I still haven't figured out exactly what is causing them, and the way Fallout debug logging works, I have very little information to go on when I read the logs. Clearly I fucked something up at some point because I don't recall ever getting crashes with TeamX files. #ragequit. The good news is F2 engine does encounters totally differently so I don't expect this to be an issue anymore at that point.

You seem to get some starting equipment relative to your tagged skills - and I actually threw out the extra pistol and whatever else at the rat caves. It's silly, but it's easy for the player to take care of.
It shouldn't be possible to start with duplicate of any weapons including the 10mm Pistol; I'll have to look into this.

Will geometric shapes be available?
Yes. And you'll be able to choose 'Other' for gender. ;)

Big Guns, Melee and Lockpicking. Started the game with a flamer + fuel in the rat cave (...) this is an anathema to Fallout 1 and must be purged.
Could you elaborate more on this? The overall idea with this part of the project (see link below) was to make starting inventory vary a lot more based on what character and difficulty was chosen, thus making a more unique starting experience for each playthrough.
I can understand people disagreeing based on (for example) the item being worth a lot of caps or being overpowered at game start.

On the other hand, I personally feel it's pretty stupid for only half the skills to have any game-start item advantage whatsoever:
-- If I tag Big Guns and Energy Weapons, that helps me literally zero until mid/late-game for most players.
-- If I tag Gambling, Speech, and Traps, I get jack shit besides base items (and base items don't vary based on difficulty either in Vanilla btw).
-- If I tag Barter, Sneak, and Melee Weapons, I also get jack shit on game start for it.
^ I don't really understand how that's a "good thing" in terms of game mechanics. Just because a mechanic/experience was the way the game shipped, doesn't necessarily mean it was a good or fair or reasonable mechanic/experience.

Here's exactly the formulas for starting items: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3kd14bzwbn0li9z/Starting_Items.xls?dl=0 -- let me know agris if you have any other specific thoughts about this sheet.

The plan for the next release is to allow players to enable or disable Base Items and Tagged-Skill Items in the installer and customizer. So if you want you can set everyone to only start with base items and tagging does not affect inventory. Or only start with tagged-skill-based items (hence why each skill has an associated item). Or can set everyone to start nekkid.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom