Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fixt by Sduibek

Neanderthal

Arcane
Just got to pop in and say that you're doing the angels work here Sduibek, played through Fallout recently with your mod, makes the game so much fucking better.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Much more stable, running vanilla was just a bloody pain with all the crashes, especially the Boneyard.
Didn't get that black box button bug that seems to always occur late game.
The push companion dialogue was literally a game saver in tight spaces, two spaces instead of one is better than F2.
Having rugrats in the game at last, they're annoying little bastards but make the gameworld far more believable.
The expanded companions armour, dialogue and responsiveness was good, Ian didn't shoot me half as much!
Lots more imagery to lighten up the loading screens, good use of the art assets.
Seemed like some of the combats got harder, Decker and co. were a bloody nightmare, luckily I got a crit on kung fu kid with the Blade Runner and blew his head off.

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Hey Sduibek bro, should I start a new game or can I patch this with my old version and run with my old game?
It says in the installer bro ;) "Should work, but may not; either way, you'll get warnings on old savegames to remind you." And the disclaimer that you won't hold me responsible if things break. ;)

Much more stable, running vanilla was just a bloody pain with all the crashes, especially the Boneyard.
Didn't get that black box button bug that seems to always occur late game.
The push companion dialogue was literally a game saver in tight spaces, two spaces instead of one is better than F2.
Having rugrats in the game at last, they're annoying little bastards but make the gameworld far more believable.
The expanded companions armour, dialogue and responsiveness was good, Ian didn't shoot me half as much!
Lots more imagery to lighten up the loading screens, good use of the art assets.
Seemed like some of the combats got harder, Decker and co. were a bloody nightmare, luckily I got a crit on kung fu kid with the Blade Runner and blew his head off.
Cool, thanks for the info!

It's always interesting to me when people talk about crashes because I played Fallout for years and never had a single crash. Maybe I was playing v1.2 and the crashes were usually earlier versions? :?

I do plan on doing more splash screens. I'd like to have about 20 total.

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
The engine conversion can be installed on top of an existing Fixt installation from http://www.mediafire.com/download/8fsz3z375wcb919/Fixt_in_Fo2_engine.zip but you must read the README.TXT file, it requires some extraction on your end. I gotta do shit for school and find a job so I'll be on hiatus for a couple months.

Sorry bros, I wanted to get 0.90beta out (a functional installer version of the link above) but it's just not gonna happen until September or later.

If you're a modder or tester and want to play around with the engine conversion, be my guest. It's pretty cool in theory it just has a lot of issues that still need to be sorted out.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Post your list of known issues for the engine conversion, and save us some writing and you some reading.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Even though that FO > FO2 engine list is quite long, that's is some fucking cool progression/work Sduibek . I can't salute you enough. :salute:

Completely understand the school and job thing. Good luck on your job hunting!

Andnjord

Arcane
Godspeed to your future endeavors Sbuibeck, much joy will be had using your mod once I do my nth playthrough in a year (once I'll have forgotten enough of the details to play it freshly enough).

:bro:

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
:love:
Thanks guys! I'll be back soon enough and we'll get the conversion finished.

I'll be moving to Los Angeles to be near the sun and family so I'm excited for that :)

Then the real work begins; fixing all the bugs from the wiki and implementing the long list of ideas from the wiki, as well as incorporating the many Fallout 2 mods/plugins that I would have incorporated long ago if I were using that engine, and various new features of my own creation . These things being optional of course. :obviously:

P.S. Jaesun could you please ban me for two months to assist with the whole hiatus thing.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Good luck man.

Oh thing I missed from that earlier list, Vault Boy statuette found under a bed in vault 15, weird little thing that I never found a use for. Nice detail really.

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Neanderthal Thanks. It indeed doesn't serve any purpose, it's just using a graphics file that existed but wasn't used in-game, and a script that existed but wasn't used in-game. The item doesn't spawn if you're running Fixes Only, naturally. Maybe I can find a use for it but for now it's just a quasi easter egg.

Jaesun Y U NO BAN

I am considering something, what if upon the start of the game you're given an item that allows you to customize the various customizable features of Fixt? This would be excellent in the sense that it would allow changes without reinstall; something this mod badly needs. (Because install process is long and it's stupid to reinstall for one change to a global variable file). It also is good because you wouldn't have to start a new game.

On the other hand, I loathe the "Put this item in inventory to customize your shit" that is so common with Oblivion and Oblivion With Guns. We have enough crap in our inventory yknow? We don't need the All-Powerful Immersion-Ruining Orb Of Reality Alteration on top of it.

So what's a good middle ground? How do you allow in-game customization without the scripted customization item in the inventory? Is there some believable way it can appear to be incorporated into the PIP-Boy interface maybe?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Sduibek The inventory item is very Gamebyro. How about one of the non-interactable computers in the cluster that the water chip computer is in providing the options? It's thematic, and you can go right back to V13 after clearing the cave.

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
What about the Iron Man playstyles? They're listed in the changelog but haven't yet been implemented in the installer, because apparently I suck. :argh:

What I mean is, if you select Iron Man XYZ in the installer, that would apply to *all* future characters. Changing it from the console like agris smartly suggested wouldn't apply here, because that only affects the current game.

Also, is anyone wanting a copy of Wasteland 2? They come with bottle caps. FS/FT.

1qld3p.jpg

agris

Arcane
Patron
Maybe iron man is a feature that should only be available via the in-game options computer? Or an INI setting?

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Well you can edit the VAULT13.GAM (global variables file) yourself, so that'd be the 'INI setting' option.

Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology but the "iron man" options affected what items you start with, so setting it in-game wouldn't work or make sense. Example from the code:
Code:
    if global_var(IRONMAN_MODE) == 0 then begin
       call base_inventory;
       call TaggedInven;
     end
     else begin
       if global_var(IRONMAN_MODE) == 1 then begin
         call base_inventory;
       end
       else begin
         if global_var(IRONMAN_MODE) == 2 then begin
           call TaggedInven;
         end
       end
     end

This is never used since the player never sets that setting, but as you can see if it's disabled you start with normal stuff, you can start with just tagged items or just base inventory, and it can be set up to 3 which means you start with no items at all.

TarkinMX was working on a little config utility like Mash did for the hi-res, I'm waiting on TarkinMX to let me know if he can find the source or not of his which was in ActionScript.
If the source was lost, I'll just be making my own in C++. https://github.com/Sduibek/fixtload has all the old stuff and will hold the code once it's found or rewritten.

This will allow quick and easy customization of everything your heart desires in a few clicks. Mmmmmmmm.

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Okay it looks like maybe I won't be able to start working on this until roughly Christmas time, BUT, I just got brought on full-time (instead of contractor in probationary period) at my job that I got in October after moving to Los Angeles, so I'm no longer in panic mode, worried about whether I'll be staying with the company.

This means I can do more than sleep & work & fret, which is good news for the near-future of Fixt :)

I'm also holding myself to my previously discussed schedule, so no matter what happens, I'll be releasing something on or before January 5th (six months since last release)

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Finally working on this again. I apologize for the delay.

PRIORITIES FOR THIS RELEASE, FROM HIGHEST TO LOWEST:
1. Fix holodisk crashes
2. Fix broken half of Restored Endings Addon
3. Add installer option for Steam users so that Fixt can be launched through Steam
4. Add in-game script that allows changing of variables and playstyles
5. Add playstyles options to installer

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Okay yesterday I fixed 2 crashes. Today I aim to fix all of the remaining Holodisk-related crashes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom