Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Fallout fans ask - <i>Who's your daddy?</i>. Bethesda Answers.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
Jim Kata said:
Excrément said:
Lumpy said:
The_Nameless_Prick said:
I will buy the game no matter what, considering it's a Fallout game.
Pete would probably masturbate if he saw this.
Really, that's plain stupid. But that's probably what Beth are hoping Fallout fans will do.
If they make a true Fallout game most fans will buy it but very few casual gamers will. On the other hand, if they make a casual game, the mainstream crowd will all buy it to watch the bloomed Liam Neeson father character, and a large number of Fallout fans will buy it as well out of curiosity. So the second is clearly better for Bethesda.
fallout fans = 50,000 people
why Bethesda will care about them?
their only interest is in a PR perspective. it's good to have journalists saying that "this game that core fans are praising "

Lumpy, oh how have you not received your dumbfuck tag yet. Even the least populat troika game has 250k+ fans....
Reading is hard, eh?
I didn't mention any numbers, moron.

Sorry, I meant mr poop.

You guys all have good points. I will get some info on the game first and see if I will at least get some fun out of it, if not from a Fallout perspective.

Resident Evil 4 (sorry, not an RPG) was nothing like the other Resident Evil games, but it was a very fun action game that evil the diehard fans couldn't help but enjoy. The only difference here is that a different company is making the game (Bethesda).

I thought that months after Oblivion was created, alot of people started to notice the truth about when they thought they liked it at first and complained. Correct me if I'm wrong. I thought that that would be a major factor in development.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Jim Kata said:
What are you, an idiot?
By JK he was adressing Joe Krow, even someone as narcistic and brainfucked as you should have got it, moron. :roll:
Whoa, now I get it. I always think of Bryce as Bryce, not as Jim Kata.
I spent the evening after reading his harsh words pondering about the reasons a respectable member of our community (whom I had always admired for his vast life experience and brilliant phillipics which always contained important moral lessons) would treat me with such undeserving severity. It's good to at least have some hopes for supposing it has been a simple mistake.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
There's two parts to me here. One, wants Fallout 3, with the TB combat and all that. The other is kind of pleased to see a PA RPG in production and being marketed (Liam Neeson and all that). Maybe it will open the market a little. Of course, I hope it doesn't mean that Fallout has to be sacrificed to achieve that.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
The_Nameless_Prick said:
Resident Evil 4 (sorry, not an RPG) was nothing like the other Resident Evil games, but it was a very fun action game that evil the diehard fans couldn't help but enjoy.

Aside the shift from fixed and terrible camera angles to a very intuitive over the shoulder perspective for aiming, it's still very much a Resident Evil game.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Elwro said:
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Jim Kata said:
What are you, an idiot?
By JK he was adressing Joe Krow, even someone as narcistic and brainfucked as you should have got it, moron. :roll:
Whoa, now I get it. I always think of Bryce as Bryce, not as Jim Kata.
I spent the evening after reading his harsh words pondering about the reasons a respectable member of our community (whom I had always admired for his vast life experience and brilliant phillipics which always contained important moral lessons) would treat me with such undeserving severity. It's good to at least have some hopes for supposing it has been a simple mistake.

:lol:

Ok, sorry.

I was wondering what happened to your brain....

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
taxacaria said:
Mr. Teatime said:
Of course, I hope it doesn't mean that Fallout has to be sacrificed to achieve that.
What else? The title of the game was "Fallout 3", last time I checked.

It might be Fallout only in name. The main fear of everyone here, right?

taxacaria

Scholar
Mr. Teatime said:
taxacaria said:
Mr. Teatime said:
Of course, I hope it doesn't mean that Fallout has to be sacrificed to achieve that.
What else? The title of the game was "Fallout 3", last time I checked.

It might be Fallout only in name. The main fear of everyone here, right?

C'mon. A Fallout 3 which isn't true to the series is a rape.
And another game under the name of Fallout means the end of hope to get a true sequel, too. Pete and Todd have stated they're going to make a sequel.
Pete Hines : What is the game? The real answer I can give is that we're intending to make Fallout 3, the sequel to Fallout 2. Our intention is to do Fallout 3, and whatever you would think that to mean is probably exactly what it is.

franc kaos

Liturgist
If Bethesda make a better game than Stalker: Shadow in Chernobyl, I'll be flabbergasted. It may be buggy (and not like Vista+Nvidia too much), but man it's atmospheric, and hard (and, unlike Beth, the developers seem to be hard at work releasing patches).

Little humour, no radscorpions or prostitutes yet (or women of any description), no diplomatic options or stats, but it feels more like an RPG than Oblivion did and is far more gritty.

It has a faux sandbox style (fences and checkpoints stop you straying too far from the game line), but infinitely more open than say NWN2.

Also, the modding scene appears to be taking off in a big way, and I see a lot of options for expanding this game far beyond its current limitations.

Amasius

Augur
franc kaos said:
If Bethesda make a better game than Stalker: Shadow in Chernobyl, I'll be flabbergasted. It may be buggy (and not like Vista+Nvidia too much), but man it's atmospheric, and hard (and, unlike Beth, the developers seem to be hard at work releasing patches).

Little humour, no radscorpions or prostitutes yet (or women of any description), no diplomatic options or stats, but it feels more like an RPG than Oblivion did and is far more gritty.

It has a faux sandbox style (fences and checkpoints stop you straying too far from the game line), but infinitely more open than say NWN2.

Also, the modding scene appears to be taking off in a big way, and I see a lot of options for expanding this game far beyond its current limitations.
Uh, I've heard a lot of good things about Stalker, but I'm expecting FO3 to be a RPG and not a well done FPS.

taxacaria

Scholar
Cimmerian Nights said:
OccupatedVoid said:
denizsi said:
Pete and Todd have stated they're going to make a sequel.

Like the sequel they made to Daggerfall, and to Oblivion after that.
In other words, rape.
It's not rape if it's dead.

So call it desecration of a corpse. The crime remains the same.

denizsi said:
Like the sequel they made to Daggerfall, and to Morrowind after that.
Yeah, they know exactly how to make sequels to turn RPG series into mainstream craps.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mr. Teatime said:
There's two parts to me here. One, wants Fallout 3, with the TB combat and all that. The other is kind of pleased to see a PA RPG in production and being marketed (Liam Neeson and all that). Maybe it will open the market a little. Of course, I hope it doesn't mean that Fallout has to be sacrificed to achieve that.
I get the impression you require the services of a certain neurosurgeon called Dr. Freeman.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Ricardo "socrates200X" Gonzalez said:
How about Oblivion then? Do you feel bad about it? Or do you agree with Pete when he says Oblivion delivered what was promised and no one said "it is good but could be better"?
( sigh ) Let's start with some caveats, shall we?

1) I'm loathe to pick apart marketing sound-bites. They have as much freedom to go off-script as I do to check in buggy code. We all have our jobs in this crazy contraption of a game company, and I don't envy theirs; mine's hard enough.

2) You know I work, like, right next to these guys that made Oblivion, right? They can hear me typing right now. We literally spend 8 - 10 hours a day together, working, eating, joking, etc; we're in each other's proverbial grill. So, you can understand my reticence; if I offer criticism on someone's work and it's taken badly, it's going to get back to them and I'm going to get shanked in the company bathroom with a rusty fork. I like my kidneys, so I'm going to tread lightly here.

3) Our own hardest critics are ourselves. If X about Oblivion gets on your nerves, it really gets on ours. If you thought Y played / looked bad, we think it went horribly. Trust us; we know what went wrong and went right in Oblivion; it's in our heads and our hair and we don't have the luxury of uninstalling it from our hard drives. If we have any motivation going into FO3 ( other than making a game worthy of the originals ), it's correcting our mistakes. Not to paint the picture that we didn't like Oblivion; quite the opposite. Prevailing opinion here is that Oblivion went swimmingly and above expectations. But, that's expected; of course we're going to like our own creation. Just so long as it's clear that we don't think it was all perfect either.

Now that that's said, I'll say that I liked Oblivion. Huge, living world with an existence outside of my characters' actions, lots going on, great for guys like me who are exploration-junkies. Bad things? I won't get specific here, but questing got repetitive at times, lots of random dungeons, level scaling, dialogue / voice-acting was spotty depending on who you talked to, and some parts of the UI ( Inventory menu... ). The thing I dig about those flaws, however, is how they're the shown seams of a large game world rather than just shoddy development. That is, when you're trying to make a world with as much stuff as Cyrodil, you're bound to repeat yourself or add one too many forts or have one corny dialog line out of thousands of good ones. It's tough to rein in all that content and make it behave, but I think the game succeeded at that more than it dropped the ball. So that's my long-winded, obviously biased, personal opinion on Oblivion: lots of creamy goodness, some burnt edges, but all-in-all I'll be eating another. Man, now I'm hungry...

It's refreshing to read at least some mild self-criticism regarding Oblivion.

taxacaria

Scholar
Cimmerian Nights said:
Not good enough, just like the blowfish chef who poisons his customer, the only honorable thing to do is seppuku.
Agreed.
*sends a chest with leveled katanas to Bethesda*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom