Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Fallout fans ask - <i>Who's your daddy?</i>. Bethesda Answers.

Section8

Cipher
Sir_Brennus said:
Section8 said:
No, no, no! You've got it all wrong. This isn't necessarily about the choice of actor. It's more about what a part written specifically for Michael Dorn and having that role extend throughout the game implies. I'll break it down for you.

Some Interplay <s>whore</s> writer has seen a bunch of Star Trek movies, and has a vision of the sort of characters Michael Dorn most commonly plays. They have then applied their considerably inferior screen-writing skills to the task, and shoehorned a Dorn stereotype into the game. Not only is that derivative, but it also means that we're going to be spoon-fed a "main plot", involving the PC and his mutant. You can bet your fucking life that the antagonist in the game will eventually kill your mutant, and leave you wanting revenge.

*FIXED*

You made one fatal mistake. There was no vision involved in the creation of Fallout 2. :P

aries202

Erudite
aries202 said:
As I see it, there is no difference in doing voice over acting for animated films like The Hedge or Flushed Away or Madagascar and dojg voice overs for a game like Oblivion or Fallout 3.

And be glad they at least hired someone talented and one that is going to be there throughout the game, not just the first 10-20 minutes like Patcrick Stewart was in Oblivion. Or maybe you would have liked it, if Bruce Willis played the father of the player's character (bruce willis played the main character in the animated movie 'over the hedge').

No, no, no! You've got it all wrong. This isn't necessarily about the choice of actor. It's more about what a part written specifically for Liam Neeson and having that role extend throughout the game implies. I'll break it down for you.

Some Bethesda <s>whore</s> writer has seen a bunch of Liam Neeson movies, and has a vision of the sort of characters he most commonly plays. They have then applied their considerably inferior screen-writing skills to the task, and shoehorned a Neeson stereotype into the game. Not only is that derivative, but it also means that we're going to be spoon-fed a "main plot", involving the PC and his father. You can bet your fucking life that the antagonist in the game will eventually kill your father, and leave you wanting revenge.

erm --- you mean the man that has starred as Dr. Alfred Kinsey in Kinsey, or in Kingdom of Heaven or in Martin Luther or in Michael Collins and has also beeb in a very interesting film that I have yet to see named Breakfast on Pluto which is about a boy who has a Father that don't like his son being gay, irrc. (from reading the back cover of the movie).
He also played the psychiatrist in Nell, iirc, and appeared in Rob Roy, and was, of course, Oscar Schindler in Schindler's List.

I think you guys forget that actors enjoy being cast opposite their usual types. That way they get to stretch their acting muscles a bit. If you want to know what I'm talking about go see Julia Roberts in 'dying young' --- here we get to meet the actor Julia Roberts, not just the typecasted 'pretty woman' thinge.

And as far as the screen-writing goes, you don't really know the script is...?? It could be that you're correct, but you could also, maybe just maybe, be wrong...

Just a possibility...

(i, too, could be wrong, of course, ;) ).

Callaxes

Arbiter
I like the idea of a father for the protagonist, I allwais wanted that in a game, but no game has ever managed to get it right or do something more original then... Baldur's Gate? I doupth that Bethesda can get it right either.

I would realy like it if the father NPC stays with you throughout the game and actualy reacts alot to your decisions, with clever, tolerant, wise and original lines, not "AAAAAAAAARGH! DON'T DO THAT EVIL SHIT OR I'M SPANKING YOU BIG TIME BOY!".

Unlike most followers I would like him not to follow you, but rather help you when you need it the most or in the hardest fight where you'll see 10 mutants corpses lying on the ground and a note in the middle of the blood pool saying "Thought you'd need some help son".

Alot of interesting storytelling moments could arise from having a father NPC, but it can also be realy fucked up (i.e. Baldur's Gate)

Shannow

Waster of Time
Sir_Brennus said:
aries202 said:
As I see it, there is no difference in doing voice over acting for animated films like The Hedge or Flushed Away or Madagascar and dojg voice overs for a game like Oblivion or Fallout 3.

And be glad they at least hired someone talented and one that is going to be there throughout the game, not just the first 10-20 minutes like Patcrick Stewart was in Oblivion. Or maybe you would have liked it, if Bruce Willis played the father of the player's character (bruce willis played the main character in the animated movie 'over the hedge').

The only problem will probably be how to explain Liam's very distinct Irish accent, but that's maybe just me ;) I consider Liam Neeson on of the finest actors in the bizness, and one who as appeared in many not so commercially productions, too.

At least we know two tings we didn't know before:
1) There will be a father figure 2) there will be a player figure. And what the the rest of the story is about still remains to bee seen. We may alo know that the game, Fallout 3, seems to be written as Todd says that the father figure in FO3 was written with Liam ib mind. This sound to me as the game os much nearer completion than any of us though possible, but again, maybe that's just me.

At least one voice of reason in a TEH CODEX dRAMA thread of Beth bashing, full of stock comments, far fetched asumptions and pity attempts at adult humor.

Thank you aries. I'd better avoid reading FO3 topics on the codex in the future and will stay with the NMA. At least there is some real discussion going on ...

P.S.: I can't see the difference between having Ron "Hellboy" Perlman and Liam "Schindler" Neeson in a game.
Try to remember that there is "ass" in "assumption" .
You'll stay with NMA? I always thought they don't allow mutants. The reason i never registered there... Ah well, then go and take part in "real discussions" on NMA. You do realize that the best discussions don't come from shared opinions but from differing opinions?
Thus you could have transformed this fanboi-rage-thread into an actual discussion. But instead of improving what you find you simply went the "u R all stupid fanbois. UR ass-umptions are far fetched and uninteresting."-way.
You showed so much potential...*sigh*

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Section8 said:
Some Bethesda <s>whore</s> writer has seen a bunch of Liam Neeson movies, and has a vision of the sort of characters he most commonly plays. They have then applied their considerably inferior screen-writing skills to the task, and shoehorned a Neeson stereotype into the game. Not only is that derivative, but it also means that we're going to be spoon-fed a "main plot", involving the PC and his father. You can bet your fucking life that the antagonist in the game will eventually kill your father, and leave you wanting revenge.

No, it won´t be like that. The Villain WILL BE YOUR FATHER!! It´s evident, that´s why he will appear in the whole game.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Section8 said:
You can bet your fucking life that the antagonist in the game will eventually kill your father, and leave you wanting revenge.

Or maybe the father will be the antagonist, popping up as some sort of psychic manifestation masquerading as a spirit to guide the son when he is in fact the four arm mutant with the laser gatling, vibroblade and mystical Deathclaw-spawning abilities at the end.

I don't know about you but I'm already salivating!

Jora

Arcane
The father is a shaman and gets killed in the beginning. His soul follows you around offering advice. "This is your first test. To open your inventory, press i..."

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Awesome! Does that means you can kill your father in the game? Just kidding.

Sir_Brennus said:
I'd better avoid reading FO3 topics on the codex in the future and will stay with the NMA.
We'd appreciate it if you could also avoid posting on the codex in the future.

xedoc gpr

Scholar
I don't recognize the guy. But checking his imdb page, it seems he played in Phantom Menace, which couldn't've been good for an actor who wanted to keep some standards.

He was in Schindler's List, and he's a good actor. The voice acting will probably be good ,like Sean Bean's was for Oblivion.

I don't really get the point of wasting all this money on voice actors. Did anyone really decide to buy Oblivion because Patrick Stewart was in it? Instead of wasting all that cash on the big names, they could've spent it on hiring more then 3 voice actors to voice every single other NPC.[/quote]

Spazmo

Erudite
This is a little bit disappointing, for several reasons. On the one hand, it's plain bullshit, because a) who cares if Liam Neeson is doing voice work for this game and b) it's nice to hear that they wrote the role for Neeson, but I'd much prefer if they wrote the game for the fans, thanks very much. On the other hand, though, it's not something to really complain about. At best, it's "PATRICK STEWART!!!!" all over again.

I'd say let this one go and wait for something meatier to complain about. I personally have no doubt whatsoever that Todd & Co. will rise to the challenge of failing spectacularly.

Fez

Erudite
Yeah, but with a quality actor like that you can imagine the power behind "I saw a radscorpion the other day!".

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Claw said:
Awesome! Does that means you can kill your father in the game? Just kidding.

Sir_Brennus said:
I'd better avoid reading FO3 topics on the codex in the future and will stay with the NMA.
We'd appreciate it if you could also avoid posting on the codex in the future.

I already stated, that you are the only german codex user whos opinion shouldn't be taken seriously. Well, maybe you should look out for me on the NMA (different nick, yaknow stooopid).

On topic: The opposing opinion (dialectic 101) is that there is nothing set and done with the involvment of Liam Neeson. FO3 will probably suck, but whining about this casting, the concept art (see other thread) and simply creating paranoid conspiration theories isn't a thoughtful discussion.

I seriously doubt that there is a track record for Beth using inexperienced voice actors who are there for the whole game (PS was experienced and died 10 minutes into the game). So Sherlocks, you have no proof, just poof.

Fez

Erudite
The rape of Fallout has brought his enraged spectre back to haunt everyone again.

Spazmo

Erudite
I thought I was done. I thought my war war over. I'd done my part, it was time for others to take up the burden and carry on in my place. But then they brought in Liam Neeson. It's not about Fallout anymore. It's not about RPGs.

Now it's personal.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Apart from Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart, all other characters in Oblivion were voiced by 11 actors in total. It pretty much means that every male or female of a given race was voiced by the same actor of actress. I wonder if it was a conscious decision ("who cares?") or it was because of the fact that 90% of the voice acting budget went for those two famous pals.

User was nabbed fit

Oh my god. There are actually retards trying to defend this being a good idea on the Bethesda forums...

Oarfish

Prophet
Elwro said:
It pretty much means that every male or female of a given race was voiced by the same actor of actress. [/quote

And directed by an asshat who didn't make sure the actors used the same tone on different days takes. WonderWoman was particularly crappy, of course that might have been due to not wanting to make her come in to do extra takes due to her marriage to the boss.

User was nabbed fit

Jim Kata said:
Anyone want to bet there are no combat text descriptions?

Feel the pain :(

They will be. It's just that they'll be voiced, too.

"I shot you in the nuts! R00fles!"

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
ViolentOpposition said:
Oh my god. There are actually retards trying to defend this being a good idea on the Bethesda forums...
Considering that there are retards trying to defend this being a good idea on the Codex forums...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom