Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Fallout fans ask - <i>Who's your daddy?</i>. Bethesda Answers.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Also, why the fuck would anyone in the US have an accent like Liam?"

You do realize that Amerika's population is based on immigration? Right?

So, there's always a possibility, to find any sort of accent in that country.

As for the father thing. Meh. FO doesn't seem the kinda game to have daddy issues.

Still, not the worst news ever.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Volourn said:
"Also, why the fuck would anyone in the US have an accent like Liam?"

You do realize that Amerika's population is based on immigration? Right?

So, there's always a possibility, to find any sort of accent in that country.

As for the father thing. Meh. FO doesn't seem the kinda game to have daddy issues.

Still, not the worst news ever.

So 80 years after the appocalypse survivors int he same area will ineplicably all have completely different accents?

R00fles!

Red Russian

Scholar
...So.....

We now know where half the game budget went...

Half-nothing. After that TES IV: Oblivion CHA-CHING, Bethesda has enough money to buy a 6 million dollar license AND hire a big-ass actor AND give enough money to Pete Hines' Fucking (yes, with a capitol F) Brainwashing The Already Retarded Market Strategy.

Not to mention they have enough money STILL to replace the water in the bathtub with 100 dollar bills so Todd The Tard and Pete Full-of-Shit Hines can play in it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"So 80 years after the appocalypse survivors int he same area will ineplicably all have completely different accents?

R00fles!"

Never said that. Please read again. All I pointed out is that the US a country of immigration. Many varied accents - even variant Amerikan homebreeds - have different accents.

I doubt a nuclear blast would all of asudden turn every Amerikan that survived into a one breed hick.

Ladonna

Arcane
Yeah, the accent crusade is a failure. Arradesh seems to have been forgotten somewhere along the way.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Volourn said:
"So 80 years after the appocalypse survivors int he same area will ineplicably all have completely different accents?

R00fles!"

Never said that. Please read again. All I pointed out is that the US a country of immigration. Many varied accents - even variant Amerikan homebreeds - have different accents.

I doubt a nuclear blast would all of asudden turn every Amerikan that survived into a one breed hick.

Ok, let me take a simpler tact.

Second generation immigrants normally don't have much of an accent, and third generation none.

It's 80+ years after the appocalypse, so it's at least 4 generations ago. So, why would anyone have an accent?

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Ladonna said:
Yeah, the accent crusade is a failure. Arradesh seems to have been forgotten somewhere along the way.

I thought that was stupid, too. actually. I was surprised no one else did....

If the whole town were full of Armenian immigrants or hassidic jews then you would expect everyone to have names and accents to suit, but it makes little sense for one guy who grows up in some town to be the only one....

Seboss

Liturgist
Tandi doesn't have the slightest hint of that accent on top of that.

Relayer71

Liturgist
"...and we're giving our fanbase what we know they want. The "Ultimate Easter Egg", if you will - hidden in the game is a code you can input at the character select screen for your next playthrough that allows you to play as Darkman, Rob Roy, Michael Collins or Qui Gon Jinn!"

Relayer71

Liturgist
LOL, how the fuck will you know if Liam will use his "real" accent.
He IS an actor after all.
Lol.

elander_

Arbiter
aries202 said:
At least we know two tings we didn't know before:
1) There will be a father figure 2) there will be a player figure. And what the the rest of the story is about still remains to bee seen. We may alo know that the game, Fallout 3, seems to be written as Todd says that the father figure in FO3 was written with Liam ib mind. This sound to me as the game os much nearer completion than any of us though possible, but again, maybe that's just me.

3) There will be one role which the player will be rail-roaded into.

Maybe it will have multiple solutions to quests this time and perhaps functional and non-redundant skills. But why would they bother fixing it if crap sells better.

Lumpy

Arcane
Aradesh's accent is fine because it IS FALLOUT.
The state of "being Fallout" seems to be the only criterion by which FO3 features are judged. And it usually means being identical to the way the originals did it. Even if it sucked.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I don't recognize the guy. But checking his imdb page, it seems he played in Phantom Menace, which couldn't've been good for an actor who wanted to keep some standards.

Fez

Erudite
I think he's almost as bad as Sean Connery when it comes to masking or changing his voice.

Surgey

Scholar
You're all wrong. The player is going to start in a dunge- I mean, jail, and your father is going to come bust you out. Then he'll hand you a micro-fusion cell before getting gunned down by a super mutant villain who you can't kill because he's vital to the quest later.

Section8

Cipher
Vault Dweller said:
Section8 said:
It's also showing that they don't seem like straying from Oblivion's blockbuster formula...
Why would they?

"...Bethesda Game Studios, creators of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion®, which won numerous Game of the Year and RPG of the Year awards in 2006, [including the much coveted "a shitload of copies sold!" award]."

Fair call. But hopefully this will be a good way of illustrating the point to the blind faith crowd. Of course, they'll probably retort with "u cant tell til u play it u fag", and we will be bested again.

As I see it, there is no difference in doing voice over acting for animated films like The Hedge or Flushed Away or Madagascar and dojg voice overs for a game like Oblivion or Fallout 3.

And be glad they at least hired someone talented and one that is going to be there throughout the game, not just the first 10-20 minutes like Patcrick Stewart was in Oblivion. Or maybe you would have liked it, if Bruce Willis played the father of the player's character (bruce willis played the main character in the animated movie 'over the hedge').

No, no, no! You've got it all wrong. This isn't necessarily about the choice of actor. It's more about what a part written specifically for Liam Neeson and having that role extend throughout the game implies. I'll break it down for you.

Some Bethesda <s>whore</s> writer has seen a bunch of Liam Neeson movies, and has a vision of the sort of characters he most commonly plays. They have then applied their considerably inferior screen-writing skills to the task, and shoehorned a Neeson stereotype into the game. Not only is that derivative, but it also means that we're going to be spoon-fed a "main plot", involving the PC and his father. You can bet your fucking life that the antagonist in the game will eventually kill your father, and leave you wanting revenge.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
aries202 said:
As I see it, there is no difference in doing voice over acting for animated films like The Hedge or Flushed Away or Madagascar and dojg voice overs for a game like Oblivion or Fallout 3.

And be glad they at least hired someone talented and one that is going to be there throughout the game, not just the first 10-20 minutes like Patcrick Stewart was in Oblivion. Or maybe you would have liked it, if Bruce Willis played the father of the player's character (bruce willis played the main character in the animated movie 'over the hedge').

The only problem will probably be how to explain Liam's very distinct Irish accent, but that's maybe just me ;) I consider Liam Neeson on of the finest actors in the bizness, and one who as appeared in many not so commercially productions, too.

At least we know two tings we didn't know before:
1) There will be a father figure 2) there will be a player figure. And what the the rest of the story is about still remains to bee seen. We may alo know that the game, Fallout 3, seems to be written as Todd says that the father figure in FO3 was written with Liam ib mind. This sound to me as the game os much nearer completion than any of us though possible, but again, maybe that's just me.

At least one voice of reason in a TEH CODEX dRAMA thread of Beth bashing, full of stock comments, far fetched asumptions and pity attempts at adult humor.

Thank you aries. I'd better avoid reading FO3 topics on the codex in the future and will stay with the NMA. At least there is some real discussion going on ...

P.S.: I can't see the difference between having Ron "Hellboy" Perlman and Liam "Schindler" Neeson in a game.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Section8 said:
No, no, no! You've got it all wrong. This isn't necessarily about the choice of actor. It's more about what a part written specifically for Michael Dorn and having that role extend throughout the game implies. I'll break it down for you.

Some Interplay <s>whore</s> writer has seen a bunch of Star Trek movies, and has a vision of the sort of characters Michael Dorn most commonly plays. They have then applied their considerably inferior screen-writing skills to the task, and shoehorned a Dorn stereotype into the game. Not only is that derivative, but it also means that we're going to be spoon-fed a "main plot", involving the PC and his mutant. You can bet your fucking life that the antagonist in the game will eventually kill your mutant, and leave you wanting revenge.

*FIXED*

Lumpy

Arcane
Section8 said:
Some Bethesda <s>whore</s> writer has seen a bunch of Liam Neeson movies, and has a vision of the sort of characters he most commonly plays. They have then applied their considerably inferior screen-writing skills to the task, and shoehorned a Neeson stereotype into the game. Not only is that derivative, but it also means that we're going to be spoon-fed a "main plot", involving the PC and his father. You can bet your fucking life that the antagonist in the game will eventually kill your father, and leave you wanting revenge.
Anything that limits the writer's freedom in creating a character is bad in my opinion. For example, making a major character in Arcanum, Gilbert Bates, be a parody of Bill Gates.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom