Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Autumn Leaves mod for Fallout: New Vegas

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I told myself all mods aspiring to be an unofficial dlc are inadvertently shit.

That trailer though. Hmmmm that trailer.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Since Fallout 4 is unplayable until some mods and patches come out, I will probably try this in the meantime.

Akratus

Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just finished my playthrough, and it was a legion one. I still haven't done an independant one though, and I will definitely finish this dlc in that one. I'm sorry to say it will take a while though, going through morrowind at the moment.

So I just started playing this, not knowing it was by a Codexer, and really impressed so far - the maker (well, you) seems to really get Fallout, the whole tone of the mod fits into the game very well. I'm only at the point where I'm trying to find my way into the Brotherhood guys' room, but there are already loads of great mysteries and plot hooks, and I love the atmosphere and piano music of Hypatia. All extremely high quality so far, and I'm really looking forward to uncovering more of what it has in store.

That said, it's not the tone and quality that made me think it was by one of the degenerates around here. It was finding one of the collectible books.

QQsSzuA.jpg

Mozg

Arcane
I'll give it a shot, I ignored the thread because every quest mod I've tried for New Vegas verged between pretty bad (the Bison Steve one... which is a must-install anyway for the item sorting lockers in the player house) to full blown modderbrains atrocity (New Vegas Bounties/Beyond Boulder Dome).

That was quite lovely. Just a really great experience, very PS:T in a lot of ways. Managed to keep me enthralled enough to finish it in more or less one sitting, and not a single combat scenario that I encountered, which is a good thing given the combat in this game. I think I got the best ending, but there are definitely a few stones I haven't turned yet - not sure how replayable it'll be when you do everything right the first time, though, so I might just go back and dig around soon. Some rough edges and typos were nowhere near enough to bring it down, hearty endorsement from me and fuller impressions to follow if I remember.

If one thing felt off it's that Rolland ultimately felt a bit weak. I get that he's a trickster/fool and is intentionally irritating, but there's a fine line between that and just being an annoying character, which he definitely crossed to me quite often. His gimmick in of itself paid off, of course, but I don't think anything would be lost on toning him down just a little. The voice acting was a big part of that, though, and I see that he's voiced by some zany Newgrounds comedy guy, so maybe it just didn't hit the mark for me. This probably sounds like a bigger criticism than I want it to, but I really can't find much else to come down hard on - it's a very tightly designed mod where everything fits in (almost) perfectly, so one cog that needs oiled stands out far more than it would in even the main game. He definitely doesn't ruin the great atmosphere and is still ultimately well-characterised, mainly thanks to his relations with the other robots.
I'll give it a shot, I ignored the thread because every quest mod I've tried for New Vegas verged between pretty bad (the Bison Steve one... which is a must-install anyway for the item sorting lockers in the player house) to full blown modderbrains atrocity (New Vegas Bounties/Beyond Boulder Dome).
Yeah it's leagues above any of that shit. Tales from the Burning Sands is nice, but everything else I've tried up to this point has been dreadful. Fucking New Vegas Bounties, Jesus.

Last edited:

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Saw this on the Nexus front page months back, ignored it thinking it was some pleb nonsense. :obviously: Just now I found this thread, with its Codexian promises, and feel like an absolute moron.

Downloading now.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
This mod has the huge disadvantage of using one of the shittiest engines ever in existence in combination with one of the shittiest texture packs in existence. That said, it's based on a game that almost makes it worth enduring this shitfest, so if I ever re-install NV, I'll be sure to try this very interesting mod. Congrats on the release, Chateaubryan .

Chateaubryan

Cipher
That was quite lovely. Just a really great experience, very PS:T in a lot of ways. Managed to keep me enthralled enough to finish it in more or less one sitting, and not a single combat scenario that I encountered, which is a good thing given the combat in this game. I think I got the best ending, but there are definitely a few stones I haven't turned yet - not sure how replayable it'll be when you do everything right the first time, though, so I might just go back and dig around soon. Some rough edges and typos were nowhere near enough to bring it down, hearty endorsement from me and fuller impressions to follow if I remember.

I'm relieved that you feel that way about it, one of my goals with it was to cross-breed Fallout and PS:T's tone into a heavy dialog quest mod that would still entertain the players, without bogging them down into pretentious verbal fluff and unrewarding fetch quests. This said, if you still want "more of the same", there are a few...

Bad/joke endings that expands upon the bittersweet or humorous tones of the mod. One by deciding to leave the Mojave altogether, during "I ain"t Honky Tonkin' anymore", one by relinquishing your freedom to Arthur, and one by...telling off Edgard. Minor things of course. But in a more general sense, I gave the player viable dialogue paths to play the character that doesn't give two damns about the library, and most bots have two or three different possible ending slideshow (except for Edgard and the Maintenance Bot.)

If one thing felt off it's that Rolland ultimately felt a bit weak. I get that he's a trickster/fool and is intentionally irritating, but there's a fine line between that and just being an annoying character, which he definitely crossed to me quite often. His gimmick in of itself paid off, of course, but I don't think anything would be lost on toning him down just a little. The voice acting was a big part of that, though, and I see that he's voiced by some zany Newgrounds comedy guy, so maybe it just didn't hit the mark for me.

I'm hearing you. For many players, Rolland is their favorite characters. I knew that he would be hit-or-miss but I needed him, plot-wise, so that Autumn Leaves wouldn't have been that endless circlejerk of "reading is gud lol, get edjukated" that AL would have been without him. Also, I needed someone to deliver that kind of offensive humor I liked a lot in the first Fallouts, something that disappeared somehow with 3 and NV. To be honest, I would have found Autumn Leaves pretty one-dimensional if there wasn't some characters like Rolland to give some counter-perspective on the plot and characters.

His V.A., JohnnyUtah, is a long-time favorite of mine for a lot of reasons, and I wrote Rolland's character with this guy in mind - without expecting him to voice act the character at all. After a while, I asked him to voice the character, expecting him to not answer at all (since he didn't know me at all), and he kindly accepted and even rewrote a good part of his lines. The part of the "obnoxious asshole that progressively grows on you as you discover his motivations" is a hard part, and frankly, after hearing dozens of V.A. for his part, I'm glad that I got somebody as skilled as he is to do it.

I supposed you completed : "Do you not see the sign?" and "I ain't Honky Tonkin' anymore."

If you have more feedback - and criticism - to provide, I will be glad to read it.

Saw this on the Nexus front page months back, ignored it thinking it was some pleb nonsense. :obviously: Just now I found this thread, with its Codexian promises, and feel like an absolute moron.

Downloading now.

That's what I feared. When I put up Autumn Leaves pages, I tried to made it distinct enough to catch the players attention. To this day, I still don't know how to give it this "special vibe" that would make people pause and consider downloading it. To be honest, I'm guilty of the same browsing habits : I usually skim through mod/game pages until I find one detail, dialog screenshot, game-breaking feature that deter me enough so that I can close the page and tell myself that the mod is not for me. :obviously:

This mod has the huge disadvantage of using one of the shittiest engines ever in existence in combination with one of the shittiest texture packs in existence. That said, it's based on a game that almost makes it worth enduring this shitfest, so if I ever re-install NV, I'll be sure to try this very interesting mod. Congrats on the release, Chateaubryan .

The kind of horrible bugs and ugly workarounds I had to deal with to still make this mod feel pro and polished, I swear. But as far as punkass prima-donna RPG modders motivations go (IE Attention-whoring to the greatest possible number of players), Bethesda games are one of the sure way to get players attention. Consider the amount of downloads of New Vegas top mods (1M) to Divinity Original Sin's (40K), then resign yourself to the ugly truth.

:negative:

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Hey, I auditioned for that one (as Cartwright, but even I hated the end result). How nice that the mod didn't die off early in development. I'll get to play it next playthrough of NV for sure. :)

Mozg

Arcane
It's good and worth playing through. I think it would work better for a player that didn't reinstall and load up an old character exclusively to play it, because you can do it in little pieces if you don't feel like going through a nice literate adventure game all in one go (deciding on your own pacing is probably one of the big secrets of why open world games work).

The ending is notably rough for me. First, the lines have way too much dead air between them. There are long chunks of unnecessary silence compared to the endings of the Obsidian DLC voice overs (which are also kinda slow and silence-heavy to start with). Second, the writing feels weird. It's almost like someone did an editing pass on the other writing in the mod, but not the endings.

Like I thought the Roland free will ending joke (his trick to get resurrected) is a funny idea that doesn't work very well because of how it's written.

The VAs seem like they're trying to improv off the script a lot in the ending to fix it up, assuming the captioned text was the script.

On the Roland thing: He mostly didn't cross from I-enjoy-hating-this-guy to the bad kind. I agree with Chateaubryan about it, you needed the character to make the mod work, and it's hard as hell to get it right so it's good that it works as well as it did in a free mod with an unpaid VA likely using his own equipment and without live direction.

Anyway, that said I officially sign off on Larian/Obsidian/inexile/HBS hiring the dude, you may present this post to them for one (1) free career

Edit - also, as evidence of how much I enjoyed it, I actually got out a piece of paper and solved a substitution cipher in a videogame, which I haven't done in about 20 years.

Last edited:

Chateaubryan

Cipher
Anyway, that said I officially sign off on Larian/Obsidian/inexile/HBS hiring the dude, you may present this post to them for one (1) free career.

I will be applying to at least one of these guys bretty soon. If not, I'll try to get my own thing going, and try to develop games on my own. (Though not fully-fledged RPGs.)
Should I fail miserably (most likely outcome), I'll probably continue putting out mods like Autumn Leaves. It was a bit unexpected, but I really enjoyed working with Voice Actors. All of them were pretty much knowledgeable with New Vegas and RPGs in general, and they got quite nicely what was interesting in each quests, and what impression they had to give off to the player to deliver MAXIMUM EMOTIONAL IMPACT and SURPRISE.

Edit - also, as evidence of how much I enjoyed it, I actually got out a piece of paper and solved a substitution cipher in a videogame, which I haven't done in about 20 years.

I wondered if anyone would do that with Autumn Leaves, though it was obviously intended as a nod to old games. I appreciate you telling me this. <3

anus_pounder

Arcane
Anyway, that said I officially sign off on Larian/Obsidian/inexile/HBS hiring the dude, you may present this post to them for one (1) free career.

I will be applying to at least one of these guys bretty soon. If not, I'll try to get my own thing going, and try to develop games on my own. (Though not fully-fledged RPGs.)
Should I fail miserably (most likely outcome), I'll probably continue putting out mods like Autumn Leaves. It was a bit unexpected, but I really enjoyed working with Voice Actors. All of them were pretty much knowledgeable with New Vegas and RPGs in general, and they got quite nicely what was interesting in each quests, and what impression they had to give off to the player to deliver MAXIMUM EMOTIONAL IMPACT and SURPRISE.

I wondered if anyone would do that with Autumn Leaves, though it was obviously intended as a nod to old games. I appreciate you telling me this. <3

Why not apply at Iron Tower Studio? :kfc:

Great mod btw.

Akratus

Patron
I just skipped around in a part 1 let's play of this mod, I didn't want to spoil myself but I wanted to take a look at the voice acting. Two questions:

1. Are you still updating this mod?
2. Would it be possible to put some more robotic sound filters over the robot voices?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Voted (along with TDM, AoD and GMDX). Good luck!

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
It's a great shame that i already have a far deep in my new vegas playthrough to be able to play this one :negative:

Oh well, i will support my fellow codexer to vote the mod :)

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've remember about this mod, so when it came for another replay of F:NV I couldn't resist knowing that it was made by a codexer.

First of all, it really feels like a professionaly done job. A quick intro, good voice acting and the most surprisingly - no shooting involved. I had no crashes or freezes during the play of it. The music is great, sets the player in the proper mood and keeps him calm when he is going through the levels to find the CLUE. The robots have their personalities so to speak, and the story is really alluring. I wanted to split my walkthrough but was so attached that kept playing until I watched the ending. Rolland wasn't bothering me. More like amused with his linguistic capabilities :lol:. Autumn Leaves is a complete story, where you feel you have some choices to make, and isn't hand holding the player when he needs to progress further. It was sad to say farewell to the mechanized fellows. Making an interesting story, that makes you think about it after you finish it is not an easy achievement.

As for the little minuses, the text doesn't matches the spoken parts. Plus typos here and there. Overall it was a real pleasure on my part. I'm returning to the iraddiated wasteland for now.

:tips hat:

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don’t do semi-official press-releases where you quote yourself. Don’t ask volunteer testers to sign NDAs as if you have the time, money, or desire to enforce them. Don’t write you own EULA on Steam as if Steam’s EULA isn’t good enough for you. Worst of all, don’t guard your stories and design ideas because someone might steal them. Yeah, Bethesda will decide to postpone The Elder Scrolls 6 and steal your shitty totally awesome ideas instead.

Vault Dweller You were saying? :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom