Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout and Daggerfall character creation

Wyrmlord

Arcane
In Fallout, you had perks.

In Daggerfall, you had advantages and disadvantages.

While each Fallout perk had a corresponding weakness that applied to that perk and that perk alone, Daggerfall could allow any mix of advantages and disadvantages provided they did not contradict each other.

And in Daggerfall, you levelled more slowly if your advantages exceeded disadvantages.

Which system did you like more?

Plus, would Fallout work better with a Daggerfall style advantage/disadvantage system, or would Daggerfall work better with a Fallout style perk system?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Fallout's system didn't completely break the game before it even started so I guess it's the better one. Daggerfall's system would've been really great had it been properly balanced (meaning that you couldn't just make your weaknesses completely meaningless by picking the right advantages).

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I like Daggerfall system better since it gives more freedom by "desolidarizing" the weakness/advantage couple. Not being much of a meta gamer when it came out, I didn't create a super hero right off the bat, so it worked fine enough for me.
I liked both systems a lot though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh look I'm posting in this thread before Grunker shows up with his GURPS talk.

Anyway Fallout would work better if it had advantages and disadvantages like GURPS. Some of those traits were quite terrible.

DakaSha

Arcane
I like daggerfalls system better (without thinking about it to much anyways) but fallout implemented its shit A LOT better

edit: also incursion wins against any other chargen though :smug:
inb4 D&D blows

Daggerfall's would be way better if there was some limit to the amount of stuff you could take. It was just too broken, leading to ridiculous powergaming builds.

Daggerfall's would have been a lot better if not for the obvious exploits. Critical Weakness to X would prevent taking immunity to X yet you could have immunity to everything if you had immunity/absorb magic. For players that don't abuse that (and also don't abuse overpowered magic to give themselves a 10 hour immunity through spells), critical weaknesses are actually critical weaknesses, even with hundreds of health you can die instantly by being hit from one of those.

A few other disadvantages were way too easy to abuse as well (IIRC not being able to use Iron/Silver/Elven gave a shit ton of points for some reason, where Daedric should be the most since its the strongest). But there is certainly a lot more interesting stuff to be done with Daggerfall. Most Fallout traits were completely uninteresting +1 to one thing and -1 to another thing stats.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Daggerfall was concentrated awesome, but it needed balancing/exploit prevention. It could also do without hard restrictions.
There were exploits? I guess I didn't notice them, because I rushed into character creation, with 2 or 3 advantages and disadvantages each.

I like daggerfalls system better (without thinking about it to much anyways) but fallout implemented its shit A LOT better

inb4 D&D blows
How does Incursion's system work?

DakaSha

Arcane
Daggerfall was concentrated awesome, but it needed balancing/exploit prevention. It could also do without hard restrictions.
There were exploits? I guess I didn't notice them, because I rushed into character creation, with 2 or 3 advantages and disadvantages each.

inb4 D&D blows
How does Incursion's system work?

It's the authors version of the D&D system. It's free. Just try it :p
It isn't really super on topic though because it doesn't have an advantage/disadvantage system

Ijust like it more then anything else because pretty much everything is possible and fighter types are actually very interesting to build

An example would be a kobold that crawls on the ceiling undetected and can leap down, trip and strangle enemies with a barbed chain :smug: )

Wyrmlord

Arcane
There were limits to spell absorption. Yes, AOE spells could be cast to near infinity, but if your maximum spell points were less than the cost of a spell (not infrequently the case), that abuse didn't exist.

There were limits to spell absorption. Yes, AOE spells could be cast to near infinity, but if your maximum spell points were less than the cost of a spell (not infrequently the case), that abuse didn't exist.

Thats not really a limit. 3x INT magic gave you a limit of 300, an ability that makes all <300 magic spells free is ridiculously overpowered. Since you could spam like 5 spells a second there was no reason to kill something with 1x 500 magic spell as opposed to 5x 100 magic spells, so there is really no limit other than to self buffing which can't be absorbed.

This is besides the point though. The main exploit with regards to character creation is that spell absorption also absorbed all other spells, including shock/fire/cold stuff (think it also works on the disease and poison, not sure). The game allowed you to take Spell Absorption and then critical weakness to the other sub-types of spells. This led to characters that had immunity to all magic, the spell absorption exploits, 3x mana, 30 HP per level, regeneration, etc etc etc, all the while still maintaining a .3x leveling multiplier (and mages have super-exponential growth in ability as they level).

However, as I said, magic in and of itself was imbalanced to the point that it didn't really matter even if you didn't fully take advantage of character creation. Keep in mind that spells improve as you level and that spell costs go down as you gain in skill, so a level 5 mage could end up casting a 5 round per level spell absorption that lasts most of the dungeon. And then players can guard the mage guild at night for 2 weeks straight, go to the crafter, craft 20 items with +75 Mana and +15 to multiple skills and stand around with 1.5k mana with buffs that last hours giving +100 to all stats blasting everything with spells that cost 15 mana a piece.

Hey, is there any reason why my character suddenly got 200 permanent points in str (and I just started playing)?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Hey, is there any reason why my character suddenly got 200 permanent points in str (and I just started playing)?
Have you been affected with Lycanthropy or Vampirism?

Either way, I don't believe strength can rise above 100.

Have you been affected with Lycanthropy or Vampirism?

Either way, I don't believe strength can rise above 100.

Nope, I'm perfectly normal. And my strength is 200, the value appears in yellow, wich I guess it means it's the naturall value.

The Daggerfall-with-fixes bundle also contains a mod that lets stats/skills go to 200 for some stupid reason, even though the game still bugs out when that happens (spell skill > 100 = free spells, etc). You have to manually deselect that mod when installing.

Dunno how you got that much strength, but this is the only way to make it possible.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The funny thing is that Fallout was going to be GURPS based, that also have a Advantage/Disavantage system. Which means that at some point the developers had a character creation in Fallout with Adv/Disv.

Personally I believe the Adv/Dis is a way deeper system, that can produce unique playstyles, at least on PnP, but is really hard to balance. Playing Fallout with a character that is "bound by honor", so can't lie/do bad things, or a One-Armed man that can't use any weapon but pistols would be great and viable, but stuff like :reaches for GURPS book: Cleptomania, Xenophobia, Cowardice, Mute, Mistaken Identity, Social Disease, Pacifism, Quadriplegic, would require massive amount of content to be created...and most players woudn't even see the content for the quadraplegic blind guy anyway.

Still, it would be fun to see some codexers creating xenophobic characters and not being able to recruit Marcus to their party. :lol:

MCA
Daggerfall's would have been a lot better if not for the obvious exploits. Critical Weakness to X would prevent taking immunity to X yet you could have immunity to everything if you had immunity/absorb magic.

This keeps coming up and it simply isn't true. In Daggerfall there were five damage types: magic, cold, fire, poison, shock. C.weakness/immunity to magic only affected magic. Only absorb magic worked on all of them.

Anyway, give me a mish mash of FO+DF restructured into Darklands format. Keeping PnP implementations out since there are a few very decent systems out there.

mondblut

Arcane
Daggerfall all the way. Traits are retar-, um, *special*, wink wink nudge nudge. "Oh hi, I hit stronger but do less criticals" - fuck you, there are such things as STRENGTH and LUCK to govern that. Or trading away an ability to learn to maximize intelligence, yeah right. And don't even let me start on that "perk" shit, I want to punch someone in the face whenever I hear the word.

"Special" is the most incredibly overrated ruleset ever.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Daggerfall's would have been a lot better if not for the obvious exploits. Critical Weakness to X would prevent taking immunity to X yet you could have immunity to everything if you had immunity/absorb magic.

This keeps coming up and it simply isn't true. In Daggerfall there were five damage types: magic, cold, fire, poison, shock. C.weakness/immunity to magic only affected magic. Only absorb magic worked on all of them.

Anyway, give me a mish mash of FO+DF restructured into Darklands format. Keeping PnP implementations out since there are a few very decent systems out there.
Till level 10, enemies like Dragonlings or Frost Daedra are so rare, that fire or frost damage is simply a non issue. I do not even recall any use of poison.

MCA
Frost and Fire Daedra are like two of the top 5 most commonly encountered critters on higher levels, Wyrmie. And IIRC, Ancient Liche and Vampires often used poison spells and also is in that same top 5 but I might be wrong about that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom