Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The Brotherhood proper was founded in 2077 in the immediate aftermath of the nuclear war which wiped out civilization, but as far as the Fallout story so far has gone, they had been locked up in a California military shelter since then.

Bethesda has never been shy about making lore alterations when it suits the game they’re building, and I imagine that’s doubly true when the game in question is a multiplayer-focused survival title.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Just read some stuff that main quest will tie in/have info about 'the master' that he is rising to power etc.

Bethesda is remaking Fallout 1 in MP setting :shittydog:

PanteraNera

Arcane
Bethesda is remaking Fallout 1 in MP setting :shittydog:
giphy.gif

angry-gif-7.gif

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
New interview with Todd

Q: Going back to Fallout 4, the multiplayer idea for 76 kind of came from the development time of that game. Were there other lessons you learned from developing Fallout 4? Something you guys could have done better?

A: We wanted every aspect to be better. From the graphics to how the controls work, the gunplay, enemy AI, overlapping quests. In Fallout 4 we tried so many new things and re-did so many things we had before, we took our lessons in how you strike that balance going into 76. We improved the hit detection for 76, it feels much better but you won't notice unless you go back to 4 and compare those two games. There are a lot of thing we redid for Fallout 76, that i don't know if the people will notice.

Q: You said there are no NPCs in Fallout 76. Isn't that a big challenge for the quest designers? Are there decisions to make?

A: Yes. You musnt forget we still have robots, terminals, holo-tapes and other things that help the player decide. It is hard for the designers yes but the answer is: You give the player tools, where they can create scenarios on their own, that we didn't dream up. And that happens in Fallout 4. If you ask the people what are their favourite stories, they often say situations where systems collide. "I was doing this then raiders attacked and a super mutant behemoth came over the hill and then a vertibird came by, then i met this new companion." This is what seperates our games from other developers, Fallout 76 goes even harder into that direction.

Q: Will radiant quests return?
A: Yes. Also handcrafted ones. Fallout 76 has a story, aswell as radiant quests.

Q: Paired with PVP and nuclear missiles, a lot of people are concerned about griefers. The trailer shows some sort of bounty system. Is that part of punishing anti-social players? How do you want to encourage people to co-operate instead of shooting on sight?
A: I don't want to force people into playstyles. I want systems that reward certain behaviour. The thing why i can't tell you how it works because we are still messing with it. We have the same goals where we don't want other players ruining the experience. Thats the worst for us to bear. If you stop playing the game because of another player acting like an asshole, we have encouraged the wrong things. At the same time, its important to us to enable players to a certain kind of drama. As for the wanted level, maybe that was in one of the videos, we do have a system right now that if a player is acting up, let's say he murders somebody who didn't want to engage in combat. That's possible at the moment yet very very hard to do that, maybe it will change. He gets a status as being wanted and can't do a lot of the things other players can do. All the other players can now see him and he gets a big bounty on his head. He becomes some sort of epic enemy, that every other player can go after. And as of right now a player becomes wanted and everyone can see him, everyone will gang up on him it's a lot of fun. How do you get to a wanted level? We're still messing with. I think there is an interesting dynamic there, we don't want to put the brakes on too hard right now. But if the system is becoming too problematic for players we will dial back and make gaining the wanted level harder. I'm going to throw one more thing in that i think is important for people: All the quests we have designed are playable solo or in a team of four. That means there are no quests focused on PVP. We want to seperate PVP and player made challenges seperated from the hand made quests.

Q: Can players pool their ressources?
A: They can trade. You also have your own stash, only you can access. But yes there is a trading system, based on bottle caps, that's the part of economy run by players. You can also drop stuff. If you want a specific item, i can simply drop it for you.

https://www.gamestar.de/videos/fall...ei-fallout-3-gamestar-tv-fuer-alle,96653.html

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The bounty system on 'legendary players' sounds great, wanted something like this in a game since a long time.

Aim1ess

Novice
This time Bethesda it seems realy made a good map, compared to Fallout 4 where half of the map was water or Skyrim where half of the map was mountains.
Yeah, a forest next to a desert next to a volcanic (?) area next to a swamp (?) next to a red canyon.
Theme park design (seriously, it looks just like a theme park map), just like the casual love it.
You gotta listen to Bethesda like you listen to a politician.

"It's not a theme park!" -> obvious theme park

"It's not just multiplayer" -> literally the multiplayer component of another game that was scrapped to become it's own game.

Oracsbox

New interview with Todd

Q: Going back to Fallout 4, the multiplayer idea for 76 kind of came from the development time of that game. Were there other lessons you learned from developing Fallout 4? Something you guys could have done better?

A: We wanted every aspect to be better. From the graphics to how the controls work, the gunplay, enemy AI, overlapping quests. In Fallout 4 we tried so many new things and re-did so many things we had before, we took our lessons in how you strike that balance going into 76. We improved the hit detection for 76, it feels much better but you won't notice unless you go back to 4 and compare those two games. There are a lot of thing we redid for Fallout 76, that i don't know if the people will notice.

Q: You said there are no NPCs in Fallout 76. Isn't that a big challenge for the quest designers? Are there decisions to make?

A: Yes. You musnt forget we still have robots, terminals, holo-tapes and other things that help the player decide. It is hard for the designers yes but the answer is: You give the player tools, where they can create scenarios on their own, that we didn't dream up. And that happens in Fallout 4. If you ask the people what are their favourite stories, they often say situations where systems collide. "I was doing this then raiders attacked and a super mutant behemoth came over the hill and then a vertibird came by, then i met this new companion." This is what seperates our games from other developers, Fallout 76 goes even harder into that direction.

Q: Will radiant quests return?
A: Yes. Also handcrafted ones. Fallout 76 has a story, aswell as radiant quests.

Q: Paired with PVP and nuclear missiles, a lot of people are concerned about griefers. The trailer shows some sort of bounty system. Is that part of punishing anti-social players? How do you want to encourage people to co-operate instead of shooting on sight?
A: I don't want to force people into playstyles. I want systems that reward certain behaviour. The thing why i can't tell you how it works because we are still messing with it. We have the same goals where we don't want other players ruining the experience. Thats the worst for us to bear. If you stop playing the game because of another player acting like an asshole, we have encouraged the wrong things. At the same time, its important to us to enable players to a certain kind of drama. As for the wanted level, maybe that was in one of the videos, we do have a system right now that if a player is acting up, let's say he murders somebody who didn't want to engage in combat. That's possible at the moment yet very very hard to do that, maybe it will change. He gets a status as being wanted and can't do a lot of the things other players can do. All the other players can now see him and he gets a big bounty on his head. He becomes some sort of epic enemy, that every other player can go after. And as of right now a player becomes wanted and everyone can see him, everyone will gang up on him it's a lot of fun. How do you get to a wanted level? We're still messing with. I think there is an interesting dynamic there, we don't want to put the brakes on too hard right now. But if the system is becoming too problematic for players we will dial back and make gaining the wanted level harder. I'm going to throw one more thing in that i think is important for people: All the quests we have designed are playable solo or in a team of four. That means there are no quests focused on PVP. We want to seperate PVP and player made challenges seperated from the hand made quests.

Q: Can players pool their ressources?
A: They can trade. You also have your own stash, only you can access. But yes there is a trading system, based on bottle caps, that's the part of economy run by players. You can also drop stuff. If you want a specific item, i can simply drop it for you.

https://www.gamestar.de/videos/fall...ei-fallout-3-gamestar-tv-fuer-alle,96653.html

Are Makabb and Todd Howard the same person because that interview might as well have been done by him.
I also think this topic should be renamed Fallout 76 Makabb edition.

Tehdagah

Arcane
This time Bethesda it seems realy made a good map, compared to Fallout 4 where half of the map was water or Skyrim where half of the map was mountains.
Yeah, a forest next to a desert next to a volcanic (?) area next to a swamp (?) next to a red canyon.
Theme park design, just like the casual love it.

It's like in real world but compressed in size, what did you expect, Daggerfall size map ?
I did expect this.
Bethesda isn't capable of creating believable worlds. Only theme parks.
What they should actually do is create a game set in a theme park. That would be... fitting.
'Theme park' design is better than a "immersive" world that is actually 90% empty lands.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Theme park design, just like the casual love it.

It's like in real world but compressed in size, what did you expect, Daggerfall size map ?
I did expect this.
Bethesda isn't capable of creating believable worlds. Only theme parks.
What they should actually do is create a game set in a theme park. That would be... fitting.
'Theme park' design is better than a "immersive" world that is actually 90% empty lands.
Which is why you make the world just an overworld map with locations to travel to.
Or have a setting that doesn't require the world to be empty to be believable.
F:NV did that relatively well. As did Fallout 1 and (though not as good) 2.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
I'm surprised no one mentioned the return of browning M2 from Fallout Tactics. I really like how it looks for some reason.

Shame it's the only good thing I can say about the game, from what we've seen so far. :lol:

PanteraNera

Arcane
Shame it's the only good thing I can say about the game, from what we've seen so far. :lol:
To me the best things about Fallout 76 are so far:
1.) It being an online game, while Bethesda has zero online and balancing experience on top of that no modding in the beginning. So much train wreck potential!
2.) Content is supposed to be player driven. Honestly if I would not need to upgrade my PC I would probably play the game for one sole reason: to grief and troll Bethestards as hard as I could. It is the first game were old fans could have a payback time!
3.) Quest/Story through robots and terminals, I can not imagine it any way were it will not be totally retarded.

It will be hilariously!

1ZT5.gif

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
1.) It being an online game, while Bethesda has zero online and balancing experience on top of that no modding in the beginning. So much train wreck potential!
2.) Content is supposed to be player driven. Honestly if I would not need to upgrade my PC I would probably play the game for one sole reason: to grief and troll Bethestards as hard as I could. It is the first game were old fans could have a payback time!
Yeah, I also see some... potential.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Which is why you make the world just an overworld map with locations to travel to.
If it is a Bethesda style open world, you still have to create the 3d world, which means all the locations and areas by hand which will drop you into from the overworld, which means buttload of work if it will be daggerfall size

F:NV did that relatively well. As did Fallout 1 and (though not as good) 2.

NV is the size of fallout 3, so what's your point ? Fallout 1 and 2 has copy and pasted random encounters areas, it has 2-3 same areas across the wasteland.

If Bethesda style game would be huge empty world like Fallout 1 and 2 with a few towns, imagine the butthurt and the ridicule.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
This is Fallout 1 if Bethesda would make it faithfull to the original, would it be fun walking for hours straight ahead?

5796739453_d9559da887_z.jpg

Squid

Arbiter
I'm almost convinced Makabb is a very dedicated troll due to the last few pages of this thread.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm almost convinced Makabb is a very dedicated troll due to the last few pages of this thread.
Apparently I'm the only one who remembers the No Man's Sky thread, because he outed himself pretty thoroughly in that.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
New interview with Todd

1) Mentioned elsewhere but repeated at some point you have have games with you only or friends only, not at launch.
2) Low level players cannot be killed (current limit is 1-4) could change.
3) Camps can be damaged, as they can be used to detain other players.
4) No mounts.
5) You can get quests from holotapes, bots, radio stations, world events, etc.
6) Day night cycle exists, not all servers will be synched to the same cycle.
7) You will be able to have a bot vendor for your items or sell them in person. Any items except quest items can be sold.
8) Beta release to be in stages.
9) Main region for TES 6 has been selected.

https://multiplayer.it/articoli/todd-howard-fallout-76-the-elder-scrolls-6-starfield.html

PorkBarrellGuy

Ackshually

q9LTVCG.png
That was 22 years ago.

SkyNET and FutureShock were actually kind of fun. I'm sort of inordinately fond of the Terminator franchise but I liked them.

1) Mentioned elsewhere but repeated at some point you have have games with you only or friends only, not at launch.
2) Low level players cannot be killed (current limit is 1-4) could change.

carebear af

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom