Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Squid

Arbiter
maxresdefault.jpg
Is that original content there?

PanteraNera

Arcane
Yet you forgot the main thing what makes game a game, gameplay, where even new vegas don't have it compared to old fallouts.
Whhh ... what?
:notsureifserious:

Even if something had the "greatest" gameplay, with retarded writing/story/characters I would not play it.
But I am a story-/tone-/writing-fag eh.

It's like saying Star Wars is not about the story/characters/setting but the special effects.
Pah you probably love Han Solo and the new Episodes VII and VIII.

Ofcourse, because gameplay will be tons better
tenor.gif

Okagron

Prophet
Yet you forgot the main thing what makes game a game, gameplay, where even new vegas don't have it compared to old fallouts.
Neither does Fallout 76, which is a game you seem to be sucking dick from. So, you criticize New Vegas for being a shooter and being in Gamebryo and yet you are praising Fallout 76 for basically the same thing. Nice contradiction there and another proof you certainly deserve those tags.

PorkBarrellGuy

is it trolling if you say you're pretending to be retarded but you actually are retarded

Seriously though, FNV's gameplay was itself a step down from 1 and 2 but still better than 3 despite being based on the same engine as 3. Going "durrhurr Gamebryo therefore it's exactly the same as 3" and screeching that lore, writing, story etc. don't count is either some windowlicking retardation or "lol i trol u" shit

also, referencing the V13/FOOL shit as some kind of justification for the trajectory F76 is taking is dumb because Beth is not Interplay, FOOL was not a particularly good idea and Interplay was not immune to being stupid

Last edited by a moderator:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Even if something had the "greatest" gameplay, with retarded writing/story/characters I would not play it.
So is chess according to you retarded? because it has no writing/story/characters, only 'greatest' gameplay.

But I am a story-/tone-/writing-fag eh.
so go read a book or watch a movie

Pah you probably love Han Solo and the new Episodes VII and VIII.

wrong again, IV

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Neither does Fallout 76, which is a game you seem to be sucking dick from. So, you criticize New Vegas for being a shooter and being in Gamebryo and yet you are praising Fallout 76 for basically the same thing. Nice contradiction there and another proof you certainly deserve those tags.

F76 will have different tone to its gameplay than 3/nv, its like comparing call of duty and red orchestra.

PorkBarrellGuy

F76 will have different tone to its gameplay than 3/nv, its like comparing call of duty and red orchestra.

"different tone"
What the fuck is that even supposed to mean, that's like a "new and improved" label on a can of soup

Oracsbox

Some of the comments below

"I'm gonna sell my body for caps, 100 each boys, no REFUNDS. One go, no more. Lap dances (teabagging) 75 caps. "

"Can't wait to make the wasteland KKK. #Noblacksorsupermutents"

"I'mma roleplay as Fisto. Assume the position."

"The Third Reich" Relax we're coming back .

Bethesda really don't understand online gaming however
I did notice one positive comment.

"Loads of people don't like the sound of this but I think it can lead to something great. Bethesda is basically making a large map and telling the players to do whatever the fuck they want. I believe that can lead to amazing interactions and groups that we can't even comprehend at this point."

Unfortunately this poor chap is retarded

PanteraNera

Arcane
So is chess according to you retarded? because it has no writing/story/characters, only 'greatest' gameplay.
Chess is a fucking board game you idiot.

We are talking about games, specifically Fallout, not board games, movies or books.

You know Fallout 1 had a believable world, with believable characters, with believable quests.
Fallout 3,4 and 76 does not.
These games are fucking retarded.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
When people say that a Fallout game depends on a list of recurring elements such as Super Mutants, Ghouls, Enclave, pop culture references, then that tells me enough about their mindset, especially when they do complain about new additions such as Caesar's Legion not fitting the setting at all. ("They're based on ancient Imperial Rome, that does not belong in Fallout while Brahmin worshippers and tree worshippers do. Edit oh and radiation worshippers)

Elements that I mentioned above are indeed trademarks (hope I am using this word right) of the Fallout universe but it does not depend solely on them. The Fallout universe originally started as this open canvas that is suppose to be open for all kind of new ideas and concepts to be expanded with, no constantly bringing everything from the first and second game back.
Other than Super Mutants there are strong indications in Fallout 1 and 2 that Ghouls are not even very common or widespread across the former US or the world for that matter. They too being a unique mutation that happens rarely. So the idea of there being thousands of "zombie" Ghouls from the time of the Great War or there after is absolutely ridiculous.
This opens room to introduce complete new mutants.

Well I do not need to go into detail why the BOS and the Enclave are not widespread, the last at best being made up of a couple thousands of people of which most died when the Poseidon oil rig was blown up by the Chosen One.

I think it is actually the fandom, at least those among Bethesda itself and the new fans of the Fallout franchise that are holding back the franchise's universe to be developed further in a meaningful way.
I get the impression from a lot of older fans and those who look beyond Fallout 3 and 4 that they are much more open to new ideas that do not always rely on "being yet more of the same".

If anything will kill and is killing the Fallout franchise it will be this new category of "fans" who demand just more and more of the same while at the same time new entries are imitating contemporary games.

Last edited:

Squid

Arbiter
are much more open to new ideas that do not always rely on "being yet more of the same"
Yeah. I agree with most of what you're saying here actually. I've never been opposed to new things in Fallout, only new things that don't do the name justice. We don't need familiar enemies to be Fallout. Style and the overarching themes are the most important thing about any series (nearly) in my opinion.
I've said before that Fallout 3 didn't introduce as many new things as it should have. I think Mirelurks and Bloatflies were about it, which wasn't enough in variety and it wasn't exciting enough on it's own to make up for only having two new ones. Maybe they added a few more, but I sure don't remember it. Super Mutants weren't needed. If they wanted generic orcs they could have created something new like they're doing with 76 at the least.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I think it is actually the fandom, at least those among Bethesda itself and the new fans of the Fallout franchise that are holding back the franchise's universe to be developed further in a meaningful way.

So fallout 76 is doing new things, there are plenty of new monsters, new areas, the biggest map in Bethesda Fallout so far (it will be the size of Skyrim), and a gameplay that will feel better for this type of game than having 'oblivion with guns' which was 3/nv/4

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Those who said that its too lush after the bombs dropped, there will be 6 different biomes on the map, there are 2 big zones with wasteland

EUXMHNg.png

FO1_Random_Hub_patrol.png

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So hyped, Fallout 76 is bringing back plenty of things from Fallout 1 which was not in 3/nv/4, while doing new stuff that sounds good.

Okagron

Prophet

What the fuck are you even talking about? You criticized New Vegas for being a shooter and in Gamebryo and Fallout 76 is a shooter and in Gamebryo. What the fuck does tone have to do with anything? Fallout 76 is a shooter, which is not what the original two games were. So don't be an hypocrite by criticizing a game for doing a thing and then praise another for doing the same. You criticized New Vegas just being a shooter, not if it was a good or bad shooter.

So hyped, Fallout 76 is bringing back plenty of things from Fallout 1 which was not in 3/nv/4, while doing new stuff that sounds good.
So a good story, characters and writing? Oh wait, no it won't because New Vegas already did it and Fallout 76 is written by Emil Whatever and he can't write for shit.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I'm talking about gameplay, 3/nv/4 is 'oblivion with guns' while f76 will play differently, like I said its like comparing call of duty to red orchestra, both are shooters but have different mechanics and play differently.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/674403/Fallout+76s+multiplayer+is+not+what+everybody+expects/

Fallout 76's multiplayer "is not what everybody expects"
Pete Hines says some have the wrong idea about multiplayer in their game.

Back at E3 we got a whole load of details about Bethesda's Fallout 76, and during the event in Los Angeles we also caught up with company frontman Pete Hines to have a chat, during which time we asked him about their approach to multiplayer considering they've advertised themselves as saviours of the single-player.

"Well, first of all, as a publisher I am extremely comfortable with where we are in single-player games, between all of the stuff that we did last year and all of the things we just announced, right," Hines explained. "We didn't just announce Prey last year as a wholly single-player game, but then we just released brand new DLC for it and a ton of free updates for the game. Wolfenstein is a single-player game that we wanted to add co-op to because we figured with the twin sisters, rather than her just being AI, that would be cool [...] Rage 2, Doom Eternal - all of these games are embracing and doing single-player, as is Fallout 76."

"When I play, I'm not on the schedule of a lot of people that I work with or my friends or my kids, so I end up playing any kind of game that's online by myself anyway. I've played Fallout 76 almost entirely that way myself because that's kind of my preference, and I sort of want to see what that feels like."

"But the truth is this game is not what everybody expects or immediately jumps to. I understand when you hear 'online' or you hear 'multiplayer' or 'PvP' that people jump to 'well, it's an MMO' or 'it's a free-for-all where everybody's just shooting each other' or 'I'm gonna get griefed constantly by other players'. And the fact is, this just doesn't fit into the mould of anything else, because that's what Bethesda Game Studios does."

"We aren't the type of company and they're not the type of developer that looks at what somebody else is doing and says 'oh, we're just gonna do that'. No, we're gonna do something we feel is very unique in the space that somebody else hasn't really done, because that's what we're actually best at, is doing things and going places where other folks aren't trying and pushing boundaries a little bit, so I think as more information comes out and folks understand it's not tons and tons of people, it's post-apocalyptic, it's gonna be dozens and dozens, not hundreds, that you can't just have someone keep chasing you down and killing you over and over again, the game just doesn't allow for that - the PvP is almost more of a challenge system, not just a 'kill everybody that you see' - that we do want folks to roleplay."

PorkBarrellGuy

They keep saying that over and over. "It's totally not what you think it's going to be, guys!" The more I hear it said the more I'm convinced it's a lie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom