Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
weird. the whole card thing is actually has a more classic fallout feels than previous bethesda games.

also the world doesn't look 16x more detailed. must be a quantity claim not a quality claim.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-a-wanted-criminal-with-a-bounty-on-your-head

Griefing in Fallout 76 turns you into a wanted criminal with a bounty on your head
"We turn the assholes into interesting content."

Many questions about Fallout 76 were answered during a QuakeCon 2018 panel today, including how potential griefing and player versus player combat will work. Remember, Fallout 76 is an online game where the wasteland you explore will be populated by other players, who you can attack and who can attack you.

The way it works is if you initiate combat - you start shooting somebody - you only do a little bit of damage, said Todd Howard, game director. You don't do full damage. It's like slapping someone in a bar, he said, and if the person you're 'slapping' fights back - engages you - then you do both do full damage.

If you die, you do not lose all your stuff, you only lose the junk you're carrying, so your weapons and armour are safe. But as junk will be valuable for crafting and making camp, there's an element of danger in carrying around too much.

If you kill someone, you are also rewarded with caps. How many caps you're rewarded with depends on your enemy's level. There's no level cap in Fallout 76, Howard said, so it's theoretically possible for a level five character with a knife to come up against a level 80 character with a minigun and power armour. But Fallout 76 normalises, or flattens, the power difference between characters in PvP - but not PvE - so the level five character stands a chance. And if the level five character wins, the reward, owing to the level difference, will be great.

You can respawn anywhere you've discovered in the world, but you can only respawn for free back at Vault 76. If you choose to respawn anywhere else then there will be a cost depending on distance. When you respawn after dying to someone else, you can choose to seek revenge for double rewards.

If you're being 'slapped' by another player and do not want to engage, "we have a lot of ways you can get away from them", said Howard. But it is possible for the aggressor to kill you, to grief you. Fallout 76 has a clever way of dealing with this, though: the griefer gets no caps, no XP, no junk, no nothing for the killing, and is also labelled a wanted murderer by the game. "We turn the assholes into interesting content," said Howard.

Wanted murderers appear on everyone else's map as a red star, so everyone else playing knows their rough location, and they have a bounty on their own head which comes out of their own stash of caps. What's more, the wanted murderers can't see where the other players are on the map. It becomes a hunt. Neat, huh?

Other key areas Todd Howard and the Fallout 76 team talked about (and briefly showed) included the way Fallout 76 handles perks and character customisation as you level up. This is a card-based system. When you level up you get a perk point you can spend on perk cards in SPECIAL skill categories. Cards have five levels of strength.You power them up by buying a perk card again and combining two together. You stop earning perk points at level 50, but you keep earning Perk Packs.

Yes, Fallout 76 has what appears to be random-chance packs of perk cards. It is not yet known if you can buy these using real money - the group on stage did not mention it and there was no opportunity to ask them.

Initially you earn perk packs every two character levels, but as you progress further you earn perk packs every five levels. There are hundreds of cards apparently, and the point of the perk packs is to broaden your pool enabling you to experiment more, as you can swap perks at any time as well as share them with your group, so you can tailor your build for different situations - and you're encouraged to.

VATS will be in Fallout 76 and works in real-time. You won't be able to target individual body parts initially but you will via a perk. VATS will be based on your Perception ability so it won't feel powerful until you invest in it.

Fallout 76 will have the kind of deep character creation system you've seen in other single-player Fallout games so you can tinker with the way you look for absolutely ages. You will also be able to completely change how you look at any time while playing the game - gender and all.

Fallout 76 has mutations which can significantly - and hilariously - change your character, possibly temporarily (there was a lot of information being thrown out very quickly so excuse my confusion). The example project leader Jeff Gardiner gave was getting Bird Bone when he had a lot of rads and so was susceptible to mutations. Bird Bone suddenly made him over-encumbered but also gave him the ability to jump very high.

Nukes are one of the glitzier features in Fallout 76 - you can eventually unlock a nuke and destroy other people's camps they've built, and more powerful monsters spawn there. But what happens if it's your camp destroyed? Bethesda has implemented a blueprint system to tackle this. It acts as a kind of save-state for your camp, allowing you to replace structures like your house if they're destroyed, or if you want to move locations. Apparently camp destruction was only added to the game to stop people imprisoning other players.

Fallout 76 has a photo mode, for which you can make characters strike poses and apply a whole Instagram's-worth of filters and effects to spruce up your snaps. It means you have, at hand, a powerful tool for capturing the moment you wrecked someone else, or made a horrible pig's ear of things.

Charisma will be in Fallout 76, but it won't work as in single-player Fallout games, whereby you can influence NPCs. What it does instead is allow you to share perk cards with your group while you play together.

Bethesda is committed to doing mods in Fallout 76... somehow. "It's a complicated problem," said Todd Howard, referencing the online nature of the game whereby a mod changes everyone's experience not just a solo player's, "but one we're 100 per cent committed to solving." Private servers are something Bethesda is doing for Fallout 76, too.

Those are the major points I gleaned during the panel. You can watch it for yourself embedded in the article above.

Fallout 76 launches 14th November on PC, PS4 and Xbox One, with a beta due some time in October.

Oracsbox

I've just watched the new fallout 76 shite from quakecon and it struck me how microscopic Tod Howard was next to the other dudes didn't he once claim to be 5'11" which must mean those other two are over 8 feet tall.

The presentation itself was a masterpiece in telling me absolutely nothing interesting except obviously it will have micro transaction perk cards.
Also why wasn't Pete Hines sitting on the sofa with them looking like a cunt it's something I expect to see at any Bethesda event.

Risewild

Arbiter
A level 5 character with a knife has a chance of defeating a level 80 PA with a minigun because they "normalize" the PvP... This is so stupid :lol:.

I can already see trolls making a low level character just to grief and make it a "wanted criminal". It will probably only take a few minutes and your griefer character is ready to be used :lol:.

And the bounty on their head comes out of their own caps? Well, no problem, with what I just said, a low level character that was just made will have no caps anyway...

Anti griefing systems alright :roll:.

The more info about this game that comes out, the more it shows how it will be shit.

Cael

Arcane
A level 5 character with a knife has a chance of defeating a level 80 PA with a minigun because they "normalize" the PvP... This is so stupid :lol:.

I can already see trolls making a low level character just to grief and make it a "wanted criminal". It will probably only take a few minutes and your griefer character is ready to be used :lol:.

The more info about this game that comes out, the more it shows how it will be shit.
Stupid part is: What happens if the griefer doesn't have the caps to pay the bounty? What is to prevent me from creating a low level toon with no money solely for the purpose of griefing?

What the fuckwit presenter ignored is that griefing also penalises the victim, who is constantly interrupted in what he is trying to do by the griefer. Punishing the griefer only happens AFTER the penalty is imposed on the victim. Great logic there, bathesturd!

Risewild

Arbiter

Stupid part is: What happens if the griefer doesn't have the caps to pay the bounty? What is to prevent me from creating a low level toon with no money solely for the purpose of griefing?

What the fuckwit presenter ignored is that griefing also penalises the victim, who is constantly interrupted in what he is trying to do by the griefer. Punishing the griefer only happens AFTER the penalty is imposed on the victim. Great logic there, bathesturd!
Yeah, I was editing that same thought into my post as you were writing yours. It's so obvious we both thought of it right away. But Bethesda doesn't seem to realize it.

Cael

Arcane
Yeah, I was editing that same thought into my post as you were writing yours. It's so obvious we both thought of it right away. But Bethesda doesn't seem to realize it.
It is blindingly obvious to anyone who has ever played any game online, from old style MUD to the latest Flash MMO.

However, game developers are looking at it from another point of view: How they can best monetise the game. One of the ways is via griefers. They WANT griefers to exist. Griefers troll and annoy normal players to the point some will buy advantages (loot boxes, perk cards, whatever you want to call them) to get rid of the griefers easier. GOTCHA! Money in the can.

Be very aware that while we might laugh at bethesturd for "missing the obvious", it is just as likely, if not more so, that they haven't but are hoping that they can con people into thinking they did.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Yes, Fallout 76 has what appears to be random-chance packs of perk cards. It is not yet known if you can buy these using real money - the group on stage did not mention it and there was no opportunity to ask them.

:fallout3:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've just watched the new fallout 76 shite from quakecon and it struck me how microscopic Tod Howard was next to the other dudes didn't he once claim to be 5'11" which must mean those other two are over 8 feet tall.

Todd is well known to be a manlet.

The presentation itself was a masterpiece in telling me absolutely nothing interesting

Have you never seen a Bethesda announcement or trailer before? This is how they roll. In fact this is how almost all AAAAA+ publishers roll these days. No details, no demos, just OOOH, AAH, pre-order and pre-pay nao.

They all learned from the Steve Blowjobs School of Hyping Up Gullible Retards.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

:fallout3:

oOHcWwu.gif

Thanks Risewild

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I have to say Todd is genius an Fallout 76 will be awesome, this ideas they are telling are great! Fallout 76 will be a MASTERPIECE ! I can't wait i'm so hpye4d !

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
-Every other level will give you a Card-Pack in addition to the usual leveling process - Contains perkcards from any of the special's and can include an item (example from Q&A being a piece of Gum which lets the player lose hunger at a slower rate
-Can combine same cards for increased effect
-There are hundreds of cards in 76.
-Can change the look of your character at anytime (including sex)
-level 50 is the cap for increasing special (*can continue leveling and gaining perk cards beyond this cap)
-We want an element of danger without griefing." When player engages you for PvP, he'll do a limited amount of damage until you engage back.
-When a player kills another player who did not engage in PvP, that player will become Wanted.
-Wanted players will have a bounty placed on their head with the reward coming out of their own caps. Wanted players won't be able to see other players on the map.
-Killing another player who does not engage in combat yields no rewards (I believe when Todd said this, he meant a cap's reward. I believe you'll still be able to take the other players Junk.
-When you die, you'll drop your Junk (crafting mats)
-Can choose to Ignore a player, which will then hide your location on the map to that person.
-Players will show up on the map in general area location (non specific)
-Respawning: Spawn anywhere you've unlocked just like previous Fallouts. Pay caps to fast travel (more caps the further a location is.) Early locations are free
-Pacifist Flag mode (won't accidentally pvp)
-Players enter a downed state before death and can be revived by another player
-Charisma affects the sharing of higher point perks, rewards from group quests and the price why you barter. Good for group players. But also good for loners, such as the lone wanderer perk or some aid perks.
-Luck now also affects durability and condition of loot
-Ammo has weight
-Start out with all Specials at 1

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
If they fail to give details about how the solo questing is going to work, I might actually consider canceling my pre-order.
It's been said, you get quests via terminals, tapes, items found in the world etc.

Having the guy that worked on ultima online as a developer for this, gives high expectations.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Mark my words, Fallout 76 will be the next great thing, first was ultima online then World of Warcraft and now it will be Fallout 76.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom