Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Risewild

Arbiter
This was obvious from the start. Of course they want people to use their shitty bethesda.net platform, that's the whole point in them creating it in the first place.

Risewild

Arbiter
It is also obvious that their target are console players. PC players are just crumbs for them. It has been that way for a long time now (probably around Oblivion). If it wasn't for mod makers (need a PC to make mods), I think Bethesda would probably stop releasing PC games.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Been that way since Morrowind man. Morrowind on Xbox was huge, 16th best selling game on the platform, accounting for 1.36m sales out of 4m by 2005. Remember that the Xbox only had 24m consoles, compared to the 155m of the PS2 at the end of it's lifespan.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
'Quakecon 2018 takes place on August 11th and will feature Todd Howard providing a 'deeper dive into the character system and perks coming in FO76'

TODD ! :bounce:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
new info from FAQ

' Our current plan for the B.E.T.A. is it will be the full game and all your progress is saved for launch. We hope you join us!'

So Beta is early release eh ?

Gerrard

Arcane
new info from FAQ

' Our current plan for the B.E.T.A. is it will be the full game and all your progress is saved for launch. We hope you join us!'

So Beta is early release eh ?
So now the game is guaranteed to be a disaster, and not just a possibility. Nice.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Ah right now I feel like knowing that there is going to be a car crash and can't wait for it to happen in order to point and laugh.

Well it was already predicted here before of course but I think this will make it official that any modding support outside the Creation Club will probably be made impossible.

Cael

Arcane
Fallout - The little girl tripping and falling in front of the onrushing, flaming trainwreck that is Bethesda. RIP...

Ranarama

Learned
I guess they join the ranks of EA. Blizzard and Ubisoft of hiding their game releases where I never have to hear about them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is also obvious that their target are console players. PC players are just crumbs for them. It has been that way for a long time now (probably around Oblivion). If it wasn't for mod makers (need a PC to make mods), I think Bethesda would probably stop releasing PC games.

Not true. Bethesda is on record saying that this used to be the case but that PC is now more important than it was a decade ago.

It's why they made the effort of creating their own platform in the first place. That's something you do when PC matters to you - just using Steam is the cheaper, easier option.

Squid

Arbiter
I think a lot of the mainstream oriented gamers on PC love their Steam collection and only want their games to exist on Steam from now and until the end of time. This probably will hurt the game's launch at least a bit because of this decision. If they waited to do it for a title that even the mainstream audiences drooled over (something like TES VI) then they could easily push their launcher and all the fans would be fine with it. This game even irks Bethesda's fanboys and this might push some of them to not buy it and be a detriment to the game's sales on PC.

Oh well.

Risewild

Arbiter

Not true. Bethesda is on record saying that this used to be the case but that PC is now more important than it was a decade ago.

It's why they made the effort of creating their own platform in the first place. That's something you do when PC matters to you - just using Steam is the cheaper, easier option.
As if I believed what they say. They talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

They made modders work a nightmare in Fallout 4, because they wanted to restrict what kind of mods modders could do, because of console limitations, they also waited a long time before releasing the CK so they could be selling their DLCs (mostly to console players) instead of having modders provide better content for free (while calling modders who managed to make mods without the CK hackers), they made the Creation Club, which is once again aimed at milking the console fans, because without CC console players can't access some more "advanced" mods.

Even Fallout Shelter was only added on PC way after it was released.

I have been listening to their lies for decades, it never changes.

Risewild

Arbiter
Damn, I forgot the Codex has a 30 minutes Edit posts limit.

I hate double post, but I feel like I also forgot to apply real numbers.

Bethesda said they made a total of $750.000.000 by the end of Fallout 4's release day (most successful Bethesda game to date, by a lot).

Steam said that by the end of the first day there was 1.2 million owners of Fallout 4 (owners, not sales just from Steam), the game was released at $49.99 with Season pass being an extra $29.99.

So let's be generous and say that there was 2 million PC owners of the game, and let's also be generous and say they paid $75 for the game (a very generous value, since most sales would have been the base game that only costs $49.99).

This gives us a total of $150 million, which by going by Bethesda value, means they got from console sales a whooping $600 million dollars. They made 4 times more money selling to consoles than to PC (probably more, since I was being very generous with my price and almost doubled the PC owners number).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This gives us a total of $150 million, which by going by Bethesda value, means they got from console sales a whooping $600 million dollars. They made 4 times more money selling to consoles than to PC (probably more, since I was being very generous with my price and almost doubled the PC owners number).

Could be, but in the days of Oblivion it may have been closer to ten times more money on console.

Risewild

Arbiter
Could be, but in the days of Oblivion it may have been closer to ten times more money on console.
I doubt that, I'm pretty sure that back in 2006 there were more PC gamers and less console gamers than there are today. And Oblivion was delayed by an year for the Playstation 3 release, which affected the sales.

Wasn't there actual gameplay footage already revealed in E3? IIRC we can be a band member and give thumbs up besides running around shooting stuff. Who needs cover mechanics when you have band mechanics? :lol:

Fallout-76.gif

ho...ly...fuck...

FNraauv.jpg

IT SAYS 2022! WAIT UNTIL 2022 FOR FUCK'S SAKE!

Risewild

Arbiter
I doubt that, I'm pretty sure that back in 2006 there were more PC gamers and less console gamers than there are today. And Oblivion was delayed by an year for the Playstation 3 release, which affected the sales.
I see I got some "Disagree" ratings in my post. Well, I will try to defend my view (will only provide a few examples to keep this short and not to derail this thread too much):
Console players numbers have increased with each year since Microsoft released the first Xbox:
We are continuing to look at engagement as our key metric for success and are no longer reporting on total console sales,” a spokesperson told Variety. “During Microsoft’s FY18 Q3 earnings, we announced that gaming revenue grew 18% year-over-year, driven by Xbox software and services revenue growth of 24%, and Xbox Live monthly active users grew 1% year-over-year to 59 million. We continue to see strong growth with time spent on Xbox Live, and look forward to bringing more unprecedented experiences on Xbox One, Windows 10 PC and mobile.
PlayStation 4. The console, it was recently announced, has 32.4 million PlayStation Plus subscribers, up from 26.4 million the previous year.
All statistics I can find point that console gamer numbers will keep increasing in the future:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/521822/number-of-online-console-gamers-in-the-us/

TES Oblivion shipped 1.2 million physical copies to stores worldwide in the first year of it's release (remember that Oblivion was released for PC as discs, so a significant number of those physical copies would be PC copies), while Fallout 4 shipped 12 million copies worldwide in the first day (remember that Fallout 4 was mainly sold for PC through Steam and other online retailers, so it would have shipped a much smaller % of this number as PC copies compared to Oblivion).

In my opinion, if this doesn't show how there are way more console players buying Bethesda games today than in 2006, then I don't know what does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom