Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Squid

Arbiter
Apparently I'm the only one who remembers the No Man's Sky thread, because he outed himself pretty thoroughly in that.
I wasn't on here around then lol. I can only imagine it though.

Aim1ess

Novice
New interview with Todd

1) Mentioned elsewhere but repeated at some point you have have games with you only or friends only, not at launch.
2) Low level players cannot be killed (current limit is 1-4) could change.
3) Camps can be damaged, as they can be used to detain other players.
4) No mounts.
5) You can get quests from holotapes, bots, radio stations, world events, etc.
6) Day night cycle exists, not all servers will be synched to the same cycle.
7) You will be able to have a bot vendor for your items or sell them in person. Any items except quest items can be sold.
8) Beta release to be in stages.
9) Main region for TES 6 has been selected.

https://multiplayer.it/articoli/todd-howard-fallout-76-the-elder-scrolls-6-starfield.html
Invincible players you say....So much for the bounty system, lol. They have absolutely no idea what this game is and its a couple months from release. Holy fucking shit this is hilarious. I mean at this point its pretty obvious the game is going to be a shitshow, but will it print money anyway? Unfortunately I think it will.

PanteraNera

Arcane
I'm wondering how you can possibly simplify RPG mechanics even further after this one.
SI_3DSVC_SuperMarioBros_image1600w.jpg

Lurker47

Savant
Remove stats and just have a bunch of perks that unlock some abilities.
I thought that was literally what this system was. I mean, we're damn near close. I have no idea how things like Charisma or Intelligence would be even remotely useful in a basically multiplayer-focused game.

Trithne

Erudite
Remove stats and just have a bunch of perks that unlock some abilities.
I thought that was literally what this system was. I mean, we're damn near close. I have no idea how things like Charisma or Intelligence would be even remotely useful in a basically multiplayer-focused game.

Well they replaced skill checks with minigames so they're not needed for those, and Charisma is a non-issue here since all the people are humans.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Charisma might work with interacting with other players, there might be perk cards, that you need 'x ammount of charisma' to become the leader of the group, and this gives bonuses to you and the group etc.

THere's plenty of possibilities.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Business interview with Todddd: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-dead-has-been-proven-wrong-every-single-time

Todd Howard: Service-based Fallout 76 doesn't mark the future direction of Bethesda
"Anyone who has ever said 'this is the future and this part of gaming is dead' has been proven wrong every single time"

Bethesda Game Studios remains one of the few big developers not owned by a platform holder that hasn't moved away from almost entirely single-player experiences into games-as-a-service.

While many major developers and publishers are still including single-player modes in their games, there is a clear trend away from this, sparking a recent debate around 'the death of single-player'.

Although the announcement that Fallout 76 will be a shared world survival game may have added credence to that argument, studio head Todd Howard says it doesn't represent a permanent departure for the company away from single-player experiences.

"It doesn't mark the future," he tells GamesIndustry.biz during an interview at Gamelab Barcelona. "Corporately we've done a mix; people forget sometimes. Elder Scrolls online is one of the biggest online games in the world, we have Fallout Shelter which we keep updating, and Elder Scrolls: Legends.

"Anyone who has ever said 'this is the future and this part of gaming is dead' has been proven wrong every single time. We like to try it all. For a long time we wanted to try a multiplayer game and we had this idea. We shouldn't be afraid. We should try it."

Although both Starfield and the Elder Scrolls VI promise the sort of quintessentially Bethesda-style experience first demonstrated in 2002 with Morrowind, there is a clear games-as-a-service bent to the studio in recent years.

A newfound focus on mobile -- with games like Fallout Shelter, The Elder Scrolls: Legends and The Elder Scrolls: Blades -- shows that bosses at Bethesda see the commercial value of the platform. But as Howard says, Bethesda has typically employed a lighter touch with monetisation, contrary to the advice of consultants; an approach he intends to maintain with Blades.

The Elder Scrolls: Blades

"It's definitely a lighter touch, which surprisingly worked very well for us in Fallout Shelter," says Howard. "I was forced to meet with a lot of 'monetisation experts' during Fallout Shelter that didn't work for us. I said 'that's nice' and then it came out and the first week it was above Candy Crush with a very light touch... We did learn a lot though."

Howard says monetisation strategies needed to consider "a lot of areas of attack" that aren't just timer-based.

"How do we keep somebody who's playing the game a lot?" he adds. "How do we give them value beyond 'here's a timer, give us some money'?"

Mobile is also the key way to break into China, and that's obviously a market Howard hopes Bethesda can tap into more in the future.

"We're working with Shanda Games in China, which is doing an online version of Fallout Shelter there, so we've made some inroads," says Howard. "I think Blades, whereas it's not built for China per se, knowing their gaming tastes, it is definitely applicable in China and other parts of the world where Fallout Shelter and some other things we do are maybe not as much.

"It's one of those things where if you look at Chinese games, people will tell you they need to be like this, they need to have this art style they need to have crap all over the screen... But Blades, there's nothing else like it, but I view that as a positive to whatever market it's in."

DeepOcean

Arcane
Really fun seeing the reaction of Bethesda fanboys, they gone from rage that this is a Rust clone to actually dig the idea because Todd Howard said that everything will be okay and this isn't totally a popamole Rust clone.

I think I will buy a black van and some candy to start selling Bethesda fan boys on the black organ market.

Squid

Arbiter
I'm wondering how you can possibly simplify RPG mechanics even further after this one.
Why bother even worrying about it? It's multiplayer and Fallout 4 even showed that if they're not going to try to make an RPG out of the Fallout name, you shouldn't look for the RPG in it either.
Perks weren't perks, now they're cards that affect the party. Maybe that will work well with multiplayer groups, but it's not an RPG. Don't look for that here.

Well they replaced skill checks with minigames so they're not needed for those
LIES! How else can they prevent you from access tier 1, tier 2, tier 3, and tier 4 locks and terminals if your skills aren't raised in the same increments? Didn't Fallout 4 do that? Oh, you don't deserve to try to lockpick this since you didn't raise your lockpick perk to 4 even though you still have to play the minigame.

Trithne

Erudite
Couldn't finish the article.

I did:

“Opt-in” was the word used to describe the system, and it’s a very important one. It means roleplayers likely won’t have to worry about their campfire nights or wasteland treks being ruined by mischief-makers with far too much ammo and free time. (No sir, no sniping me mid-sentence over and over, not without my say-so!)

This is a phrase that was used without irony.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Todd is delusional. He's absolutely fucking delusional.

If he thinks that "discouraging" griefers by setting them to be "epic enemies" or whatever is going to actually, uh, discourage griefers, he's lost his mind. That is the kind of thing that a griefer dreams of!

In fact that probably perked up the ears of a whole class of gamers who long for the days of true griefing from the likes of UO and Everquest. Even if it takes weeks, months, years to achieve, they live for the day when everyone will be talking about how they took down the entire population of their server and caused the Bethboards to melt down with an avalanche of butthurt from all the special snowflakes out there who had their perfect settlements absolutely raped.

He says they're still tweaking it. If I were him, if he really wanted to know what it is he's facing, I'd hire some kids out there off the street to see what they can really do. Not their apparently equally delusional typical game testers or people willing to sign up for and play along with this multistaged Beta thing they're planning.

Actually, I just don't think what he's envisioning can ever work. We're talking about somehow attempting to reign in human nature. Unless you make the game a joke where people or even whole settlements are resurrected, forget it. It's going to be a disaster.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom