Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't give a shit about hating on Fallout 3. I've played the game, and it doesn't make this sort of setting detail explicit, at all. From all appearances, Bethesda created their game this way because "that's how a post-apocalypse is, amirite?". There's no indication that any thought went into it, or that they were purposely trying to differentiate the Capital Wasteland from the more civilized West Coast region.

All that stuff about "lots of tactical nukes landed on DC, but fewer larger nukes landed on the West Coast, hence the difference!!" is just fan speculation.

Pretty much.

The Brotherhood in FO3 does make comments about the East Coast being worse off, IIRC, but they never explain why that is, if it even needs an explanation. In New Vegas Obsidian did explain that House blocked most of the missiles though.

There are a few tantalizing setting details that FO3 drops on you, but they never come together as a coherent whole. It's really quite frustrating.

For example, there's talk about how the Brotherhood exterminated a bunch of evil tribals in the Pitt area on their way to the Capital Wasteland, and about the mysterious super mutant infestation in DC (which never receives a satisfying conclusion or explanation).

In the end, you hear President Eden preaching on his radio channel, and you wonder "Who the hell is this guy talking to? NOBODY LIVES IN THIS GOD FORSAKEN LAND! There's no organized society here for you to make your appeal to and recruit to your cause, just a bunch of scattered yokels!" (and he ends up wanting to kill them all anyway, lol)

Turrul

Augur
it's an irrational mix of "cool things" put together in a falloutesque context.

Exactly. F1 and 2 had consistent worlds. They had complex trading and economics.

In 2 for example, the gameworld has Slavers in Den and their premium customers in Vault City. New Reno, Redding, NCR, Broken Hills and even an isolated town like Modoc have their reasons for existance. They have a way to stay alive, they can import products for food, or import their food for other goods.

Fallout 3 feels more like an interactive shitty fan-fic than a Fallout game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There are a few tantalizing setting details that FO3 drops on you, but they never come together as a coherent whole. It's really quite frustrating.

For example, there's talk about how the Brotherhood exterminated a bunch of evil tribals in the Pitt area on their way to the Capital Wasteland, and about the mysterious super mutant infestation in DC (which never receives a satisfying conclusion or explanation).

In the end, you hear President Eden preaching on his radio channel, and you wonder "Who the hell is this guy talking to? NOBODY LIVES IN THIS GOD FORSAKEN LAND! There's no organized society here for you to make your appeal to and recruit to your cause, just a bunch of scattered yokels!" (and he ends up wanting to kill them all anyway, lol)

Yes, for as horrible as the plot of FO3 becomes it has several setups that are actually pretty good. When I first left the vault and saw that eyebot thing playing a President's speech I was very intrigued. It's a shame it went mostly nowhere, and the robo-president thing was poorly handled, and the "choose your faction" thing was embarrassingly pointless, badly written and ham-handed. Same for the super mutant mystery.

Even Skyrim, which is much improved from both Oblivion and FO3 in plot and writing terms, still fails on most of its setups. Civil war ends up meaning nothing, Thalmor agents end up being window-dressing, etc. Good ideas, bad execution.

I took some pictures of the Outcasts' view on the Capital Wasteland's BoS. Thought someone might find it interesting.

JAbwjl.jpg

The random Outcast patrols have some stuff to say as well, but it's mostly variants of "fuck off, retard".

The only thing that rectifies this are the traders that go from town to town. I loved those. .

Level scaling means that most of them die before too long.

The monsters level up, but they don't.

iirc most of them don't go near enemies' spawn points. The doctor that sells chems unfortunately has a high chance to meet deathclaws along the way. :hero:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, the Brotherhood Outcasts seem like something some well-meaning designer at Bethesda added into the game at a relatively late stage to placate Fallout grognards. They weren't very well-developed, although they did get to star in the Operation Anchorage DLC.

Last edited:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Yeah, the Brotherhood Outcasts seem like something some well-meaning designer at Bethesda added into the game at a relatively late stage to placate Fallout grognards. They weren't very well-developed, although they did get to star in the Operation Overlord DLC.

Whut? I don't know of that DLC

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Could have been interesting, to join the outcasts by helping them get other brotherhood members to their cause, and abandon lyons, then regain communication with the West Coast by hijacking the radio airwaves. Really, create a whole new faction.

But no. Nothing like that.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.

Sad thing is people are trying to discuss it with you, it's just our discussion is laced with fuck you and the horse you rode in on jokes. Cause no one wants to takes games too seriously, that shit is depressing.

I have no doubt that there is one or two thrown in lines of dialog as to why 12 year old's in a wooden fort can in fact hold off a super mutant army. That does not however fix or improve anything. The premise itself is so bad that no amount of hand waving i.e. "They made a deal." "Are good at hiding." whatever the fuck it actually is, can make it decent or even passable.
Much like with almost everything in F3. Slaves want to repair statue of freehdom. Ok, where did they hear about it to begin with, why do they care enough to risk their lives, how did 3 semi competent people and an elderly man escape. Nothing is answered it's just waved away with some bizarre crap single line of dialog.

The entire game just makes you ask these basic common sense questions about every fucking thing you encounter and one line of deus ex mechina for every single situation just gets old soo fucking fast. The only actually consistent developments revolve arround the Pitt and maybe the rangers quest. Sadly there is even space within the 'lore' of fallout for a few odd situations for example the whole Harrold thing, two super heroes battling it out, mysterious assassin like cult that collects ears.... fine whatever it's fallout. You can't do this for the whole game though which is why something like NV works while F3 is a big turd.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I'll come back to this thread next year. :lol:
Goddamn. AHAHHAHAH. So many good memories. I don't wanna forget to forget to remember.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Could have been interesting, to join the outcasts by helping them get other brotherhood members to their cause, and abandon lyons, then regain communication with the West Coast by hijacking the radio airwaves. Really, create a whole new faction.

But no. Nothing like that.

That would just be reverting the choices Bethesda made in the first place. No, the only proper way to go about things is to forget Fallout 3 ever happened and make instead a Skyrim-like fallout game. You know, one that doesn't do anything above average, but at least respects the lore, and doesn't really have anything to do with the awful predecessor.

Seerix

Arbiter
The "lore" of Fallout is a funny thing, there will be nothing lore breaking if Bethesda introduced furry races to FO4 or FOnline, there are design documents for a tribe of talking racoons in Fallout 1, they will be just doing things original team couldn't pull off. :)

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
But no matter. Keep laughing and trolling. I'm out of this shitty forum full of retards who can't maintain a serious debate putting aside their stupid and dogmatic convictions for a moment. Enough shit for me, so i will leave you in peace.

if i got ban by a moderator he would make me a favor

As long as demagogues like this feel uncomfortable here, the Codex remains a lone island of sanity.
Where is the "don't let the door hit you on the way out" smiley?
It doesn't exist because No One Ever Leaves The Codex. I'm sure out friend will be posting here for a long time.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
But no matter. Keep laughing and trolling. I'm out of this shitty forum full of retards who can't maintain a serious debate putting aside their stupid and dogmatic convictions for a moment. Enough shit for me, so i will leave you in peace.

if i got ban by a moderator he would make me a favor

As long as demagogues like this feel uncomfortable here, the Codex remains a lone island of sanity.
Where is the "don't let the door hit you on the way out" smiley?
It doesn't exist because No One Ever Leaves The Codex. I'm sure out friend will be posting here for a long time.

So true that it hurts me.

I have to recognize that my last comments in this thread suffer a lot of butthurt and irrational behavior. So i apologize for that stupid behavior that is not worthy for the great Codexia.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
What can you tell me about Arcanum?

Are you kidding me? Do you think that i will enter in that stupid game of questions and answers only because your supposition? Sorry but no.

Further, are the moderators of the forum who can check if i'm multinick or not (Because normally they have the necessary tools to do it), and i invite them to check it if they want.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom