Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

pippin

I think I said it before, but the Artificial Human quest was one of my favorite moments of Fallout 3. Probably because it was one of the few quests without a quest compass telling you where to go (just like the chinese spy mission in Point Lookout).
Now, it this creates a conflict with the lore... I don't know if I really care, to be honest. I mean, you had everything from mind controlling mutants to american football players wearing skirts. There's a really campy element to the games' lore which is contrasted to this grim quote about war, but considering how the Enclave, the Big MT or even the BoS worked and thrived, my guess is that there could be another secret organization doing some crazy stuff.

Jozoz

Prophet
Yeah, it really shows how much more interesting stuff gets when you have to think. That doesn't mean it has to break the lore though :thumbsup:

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Fallout has retro-future setting based on 40-50s sci-fi. I think androids fit this setting without any problems. Think about Azimov's Foundation series (a lot of this was written in 50s), or some pieces of cyberpunk grandfather Philp K. Dick such as Imposter (1953) or Second Variety (1953 and post-apoc BTW).

I think there are a lot of ways to introduce androids into Fallout setting without breakin' the lore. All they need is talented writers. In fact, it can even revitalize Fallout if done properly.

Still, in Bethesda case it's often not the idea, but the execution sucks. So I don't hold my breath.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Other examples: Building a town around a huge bomb, Living in a giant ship with absolutely no source of food anywhere close, Walking around with a huge rocket launcher that shoots mini nukes even though a big part of the Fallout universe is being afraid of nukes and their devastating effects - hence why we have Vaults and all those vault commercials.

I don't find anything strange with these statements.

The megaton's bomb is one os the most stupid critics that i read about FO3. It's perfectly explained on the game, the builders were forced to request help from the Church of the Children of Atom, and these only accepted help to build the bomb if the city is constructed around the bomb, the pillar of their stupid religion. It's a madness? Yes it is, but those people never had another chance. That was the unique way to construct a decent place to live. About River city, quite obvious that they survive thanks to the meat of creatures of the wasteland, the trade with caravans and the prospector's discoveries, just like the others locations in the wastelands because its is full of radiation and nothing can grow on it. Have fear to nukes not means put all the things relationated with nukes in a box and throw it to the river. precisely the fun of the nuke rocket launcher is shoot nukes against who fear them. Furthermore, a lot of years are passed since the Big war, so probably a lot of people has been forgotten the nuclear fear cause of their bumpkin ignorance. And finally i don't have any problem with Vault tec comercials. They must advertise about their refuges if they want sold them. I find worse that "Evil company" background that Bethesda give to they with those strange experiments that on the other hand are very interesting.

Honestly, i think that the Enclave's bytheface resurrection is a biggest kick for the Fallout lore than anything else.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leaving aside this, i don't know why but i feel that Bethesda will not develop the game completely, they will work with another develop team. Nevermind, forget it. It's only a suposition.

Jozoz

Prophet
There's absolutely no way trade alone can sustain Rivet City, Megaton and all the other places. I mean we don't really see any places where actual food is produced in the Capital Wasteland, and even if all the food is traded around it has to come from somewhere and that is just not explained.

It's not really lore breaking at all. It just makes no fucking sense.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the Vault commercials at all either. The Fallout 1 intro is one of my favorites for many reasons, but I just used those to illustrate the fear of nuclear bombs that is very present in the pre-war Fallout universe. It just seems a bit out of place to have gigantic rocket launchers that basically shoots nukes is all.

The most lorebreaking thing to me is how much Fallout 3 deviates from the timeline. It happens like 200 years after the war, right? Yet it feels less developed than in FO1 which happens more than a century earlier. The post-post-apocalyptic elements, where we see society rise again, of the old Fallouts (mostly 2) and New Vegas are just not present at all in Fallout 3.

The Capital Wasteland would be far more interesting if everyone tried to broaden the land they control like in FNV. The Mojave felt so much more connected, while the Capital Wasteland felt more like a huge vacuum with towns here and there. The only thing that rectifies this are the traders that go from town to town. I loved those. It made the world feel way more alive, but I feel like it wasn't enough.

Another annoying thing is how there are somehow way more Raiders than normal people. Sort of kills the illusion of a real place too.

Cazzeris

Of course there's nothing wrong with Vault Tec commercials, nobody said so.

Still, it feels like Rivet City simply has no source for all its weapons, armors, food and resources. Trading isn't a valid excuse for this case since they haven't a thing to give in exchange of some food/water/caps. Sure, all Fo3's areas has this very problem and it's easy to realise it as soon as you start asking yourself where do the basic resources come from; typical Bethesderp problems.

Anyway, this has already been discussed to death a million times. The game is also complete shit aside from its terrible "consistent postapo feelings", so just mentioning it is wasting precious time that would be better spent playing some incline RPGs.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
It's quite obvious that these Traders must come from outside of the Capital wasteland. And yes, we don't see food produced in the FO3 wasteland because practically nothing can grow on it (Cause the high radiation). The only food resources are the mirelurk meat, and meat, mole rat meat, iguana meat (We don't see this animal in the game but is suppose they're on the wasteland. As the original Fallout, we don't see iguanas on the game but they must be somewhere) and stuff like that. And the water of course.

About the timeline, FO3 takes places on the east coast of america, and directly quoting from the wiki:

"The Capital Wasteland is a nearly inhospitable, very violent area of post-apocalyptic America. (...)

The D.C. area was hit more severely than the West Coast, due to its military and political areas along with the fact it lacked a defense system against nuclear attacks.

As a result, the local inhabitants are far more hostile and only are friendly to members of their group as in the many raider tribes. Pockets of radiation are far more frequent and in higher concentrations. Purified water is extremely scarce as well as any kind of fresh food. There is little flora, with the dead husks of trees littering the area.

The buildings in the D.C. ruins have been hit the hardest structurally as most are either completely destroyed, are falling apart, literally falling into each other or just barely standing. The streets are littered with rubble and are largely impassible, forcing explorers to mainly rely on sewers and subways to navigate the city, most of which have caved in.

Any functional buildings are either a constant war-zone or are heavily fortified by a group of wastelanders, mostly in the southeast section of the Wasteland. Most of the northern and southern parts of the Wasteland are far more inhabitable, but don't have enough pre-War resources to support many people. Thus, only hermits, raiders, and wastelander families still inhabit these desolate areas.

There is never any form of precipitation."

Capital wasteland is a completely disaster in terms of environment. The humans survive as they can. Quite obvious that this is an "Erase and rewrite" from Bugthesda about the original lore, at least is decent explained and not interferes with the rest of the lore.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to defend FO3, as RPG has obvious lacks. But i find these statements out of place at today.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm pretty sure most of that wiki stuff is "fanon". Bethesda doesn't really ever explain those things anywhere.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I'm pretty sure most of that wiki stuff is "fanon". Bethesda doesn't really ever explain those things anywhere.
I'm pretty sure most of that wiki stuff is not "fanon". Because i played Fallouts games to sick and i don't found contradictions or fanfictions in the articles. Anyway, forget the source if you want. Just look the fragment i quoted, is what you see in the game.

Other thing is doesn't want to see it.:M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm pretty sure most of that wiki stuff is not "fanon". Because i played Fallouts games to sick and i don't found contradictions or fanfictions in the articles. Anyway, forget the source if you want. Just look the fragment i quoted, is what you see in the game.

Other thing is doesn't want to see it.:M

I don't give a shit about hating on Fallout 3. I've played the game, and it doesn't make this sort of setting detail explicit, at all. From all appearances, Bethesda created their game this way because "that's how a post-apocalypse is, amirite?". There's no indication that any thought went into it, or that they were purposely trying to differentiate the Capital Wasteland from the more civilized West Coast region.

All that stuff about "lots of tactical nukes landed on DC, but fewer larger nukes landed on the West Coast, hence the difference!!" is just fan speculation.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I don't give a shit about hating on Fallout 3. I've played the game, and it doesn't make this sort of setting detail explicit, at all. From all appearances, Bethesda created their game this way because "that's how a post-apocalypse is, amirite?". There's no indication that any thought went into it, or that they were purposely trying to differentiate the Capital Wasteland from the more civilized West Coast region.

All that stuff about "lots of tactical nukes landed on DC, but fewer larger nukes landed on the West Coast, hence the difference!!" is just fan speculation.

Sure. The high levels of radiation compared to the level of radiation in the original Fallout and the depressing status of DC with destroyed buildings and giant craters are not an evidence of a more intense bombardment and it not appears on the game. I forget, a NPC conversation its needed to understand all of this.

Fuck this.

Tharkin2

Savant
I always figured it was the ghoulified Chinese infiltrators from Mama Dolce poisoning the Capital wasteland.There was plenty of waste laying around and they had nothing better to do.

Filthy communists

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
It's quite obvious that these Traders must come from outside of the Capital wasteland. And yes, we don't see food produced in the FO3 wasteland because practically nothing can grow on it (Cause the high radiation). The only food resources are the mirelurk meat, and meat, mole rat meat, iguana meat (We don't see this animal in the game but is suppose they're on the wasteland. As the original Fallout, we don't see iguanas on the game but they must be somewhere) and stuff like that. And the water of course.

About the timeline, FO3 takes places on the east coast of america, and directly quoting from the wiki:

"The Capital Wasteland is a nearly inhospitable, very violent area of post-apocalyptic America. (...)

The D.C. area was hit more severely than the West Coast, due to its military and political areas along with the fact it lacked a defense system against nuclear attacks.

As a result, the local inhabitants are far more hostile and only are friendly to members of their group as in the many raider tribes. Pockets of radiation are far more frequent and in higher concentrations. Purified water is extremely scarce as well as any kind of fresh food. There is little flora, with the dead husks of trees littering the area.

The buildings in the D.C. ruins have been hit the hardest structurally as most are either completely destroyed, are falling apart, literally falling into each other or just barely standing. The streets are littered with rubble and are largely impassible, forcing explorers to mainly rely on sewers and subways to navigate the city, most of which have caved in.

Any functional buildings are either a constant war-zone or are heavily fortified by a group of wastelanders, mostly in the southeast section of the Wasteland. Most of the northern and southern parts of the Wasteland are far more inhabitable, but don't have enough pre-War resources to support many people. Thus, only hermits, raiders, and wastelander families still inhabit these desolate areas.

There is never any form of precipitation."

Capital wasteland is a completely disaster in terms of environment. The humans survive as they can. Quite obvious that this is an "Erase and rewrite" from Bugthesda about the original lore, at least is decent explained and not interferes with the rest of the lore.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to defend FO3, as RPG has obvious lacks. But i find these statements out of place at today.
igpms.gif

Yeah I'm sure you can explain away all the horrible incomprehensible shit of Fallout 3 :lol::lol::lol: if you try hard enough, anything tastes good right?

But you kinda missed the biggest stupidest shit, if water and resources are so scarce why the fuck is there purified water in 2/3 of the shitty containers around every square inch of the city? How is there a group of 10 year old kids holding off a mutant army that the Brotherhood can't stop, not only that but they are holding them off in a wooden fort :lol::lol::lol:. For that matter how did the 'city' of children and 'city' of teenagers survive for several hundred years in a such a horrific bombed :)roll::lol:) area filled with so many butthurt raider groups?
How exactly did megaton survive for so long when it has a population of 10-15 people, and of those people only about 3 are useful.
The whole game is a fucking joke, the vault advertisements are the least of it's logical lore problems.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
igpms.gif

Yeah I'm sure you can explain away all the horrible incomprehensible shit of Fallout 3 :lol::lol::lol: if you try hard enough, anything tastes good right?

But you kinda missed the biggest stupidest shit, if water and resources are so scarce why the fuck is there purified water in 2/3 of the shitty containers around every square inch of the city? How is there a group of 10 year old kids holding off a mutant army that the Brotherhood can't stop, not only that but they are holding them off in a wooden fort :lol::lol::lol:. For that matter how did the 'city' of children and 'city' of teenagers survive for several hundred years in a such a horrific bombed :)roll::lol:) area filled with so many butthurt raider groups?
How exactly did megaton survive for so long when it has a population of 10-15 people, and of those people only about 3 are useful.
The whole game is a fucking joke, the vault advertisements are the least of it's logical lore problems.

All of these things have an explanation on the game. If instead of laughing as a brainless you dedicate to investigate in the game you'll probably find all the answers. But no, is more easy come to an internet forum and throw the first shit you've never understand right? And the purified water have a very low range of spawn, so that about 2/3 on containers is directly false.

But no matter. Keep laughing and trolling. I'm out of this shitty forum full of retards who can't maintain a serious debate putting aside their stupid and dogmatic convictions for a moment. Enough shit for me, so i will leave you in peace.

if i got ban by a moderator he would make me a favor

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
But no matter. Keep laughing and trolling. I'm out of this shitty forum full of retards who can't maintain a serious debate putting aside their stupid and dogmatic convictions for a moment. Enough shit for me, so i will leave you in peace.

As long as demagogues like this feel uncomfortable here, the Codex remains a lone island of sanity.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
To stay fair, lots of stuff the guy posted *DOES* get mentionend in the game. Wether it remains retarded or not, but it is in the game.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

As long as demagogues like this feel uncomfortable here, the Codex remains a lone island of sanity.
Where is the "don't let the door hit you on the way out" smiley?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Pretty much.

The Brotherhood in FO3 does make comments about the East Coast being worse off, IIRC, but they never explain why that is, if it even needs an explanation. In New Vegas Obsidian did explain that House blocked most of the missiles though.

Drax

Arcane
The argument that resources could be brought by trade to DC from more fertile regions is not flawed by itself.
The problem is that the game world in no way reflects this. Even more, FO3's world doesn't reflect anything, it's an irrational mix of "cool things" put together in a falloutesque context.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom