Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lord Andre

Arcane
Why? Because there's a limited number of RPG developers, and their time is better spent on a fresh IP, rather than one whose story, setting and fucking engine itself have been run into the ground.

With a new IP there's a better chance to get a coherent universe, a world with an identity rather than a lulzy sci-fi themepark which increasingly has nothing to do with the urgency and excitement of a Mad Max style post-apocalyptic setting. The word itself, "Fallout", had a haunting quality to it in 1997 because it fit the first game perfectly. After that, it started losing its meaning. After Fallout 3, it's become a parody of itself. After New Vegas and its DLCs, it's become a joke in a clown suit.

Fallout is like a demented person without a DNR. It forgot itself a long time ago, but they keep bringing it back to life. Those resources are better spent elsewhere.

This argument is becoming too distanced from reality to matter but since there isn't anything more interesting to discuss, let's continue it.

In my opinion, creating a new setting or re-using an old one has little to no influence on the quality of the resulting game. I think this because a great writer brings a certain threshold of quality to whatever he's working on. A great writer can't produce genius level content all the time but no matter what he is working on he never goes below a certain standard. So a great writer's range would go from "not bad" to "awesome" with the majority of his work being somewhere in the middle. And I am not talking about so-called artists here, there is an industry and there are people(writers) that are hired to generate content. These are the people I'm talking about.

Long story short, a good writer can invigorate any franchise or create a new setting and have good results. Shitty writers make shitty content. Same thing for game designers, programmers, graphic artists etc.

The problem isn't franchise fatigue, it's mediocre game makers. Now despite all I said, I do agree with you that rebooting the same idea over and over gets annoying after a while but unfortunately we also have to consider something called brand awareness. Shit people are already familiar with sells better than shit people know nothing about. And again we go back to this being an industry and it runs on money.

Is a new IP the higher moral choice for a company ? Debatable. The big franchises draw brand awareness not only to themselves but to the RPG genre. This in turn creates a market for RPGs and that in turn allows smaller companies to risk investing into making new rpg IPs. This is capitalism and there are such things as necessary evil.

Anyway, my original point was and still is: A new Fallout game is a good thing even if the game will suck or not. Because it creates oportunities beyond itself.

This post ended up more ranty than I expected :M

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Without bloom and HDR it doesn't look modern enough
haS2mvN.jpg

That's making me feel a little sick.

Just try to remember when you get killed in FO3 with that blurry effect

PAAAAAAMPAAAAAAAAAMPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
No idea if already posted (probably yes, but whatever - I only found it today):
Original link does not work any more, but archive.today preserved this gem for us:

Monolith's Michihiko Inaba also expressed his desire to be the Japanese equivalent of Elder Scrolls developer Bethesda: "I'd like to make an HD game that will wow the players. I want to show that Japan can still keep up with the USA when it comes next gen technology. Our goal is to become something like the developers of the Fallout series, Bethesda Softworks."

:troll:

:negative:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If I were in the games business I would want to make billions selling 20 million copies of a game made from an ancient in-house engine as well.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I just want a Fallout episode or spinoff that happens in Europe. Bethesda or not, if it's happening, I'm buying it Day 1.

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
I just want a Fallout episode or spinoff that happens in Europe. Bethesda or not, if it's happening, I'm buying it Day 1.
I want it too, as long as it will be turn-based and isometric. Unfortunatelly post-apocaliptic Europe is occupied by Stalker and Metro universe so another big game in this setting won't happen soon. Also there is a little chance for FOnline-based mod, some people are trying to do it (including me, but I rage deleted fucking SDK last week and I'm leaving it for Shadowrun editor). Probably sooner or later there will be another FOnline vapourware workshop's subforum.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I would be happy with FO4 inspired by the Tank girl. The main goal of FO4 would be get stoned properly (and survive that).

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
No idea if already posted (probably yes, but whatever - I only found it today):
Original link does not work any more, but archive.today preserved this gem for us:

Monolith's Michihiko Inaba also expressed his desire to be the Japanese equivalent of Elder Scrolls developer Bethesda: "I'd like to make an HD game that will wow the players. I want to show that Japan can still keep up with the USA when it comes next gen technology. Our goal is to become something like the developers of the Fallout series, Bethesda Softworks."

:troll:

:negative:

maxresdefault.jpg

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Players will be massively disappointed when Fallout 4 uses the Skyrim engine and their chicks still do not look like that. All of Skyrim's female faces ended up looking like some 30ish pro-athlete/bodybuilder. Ah, who am I kidding.. the first mods are always "better female faces"/WH40k armor/CoD weaponary and the mandatory nude mod.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Players will be massively disappointed when Fallout 4 uses the Skyrim engine and their chicks still do not look like that. All of Skyrim's female faces ended up looking like some 30ish pro-athlete/bodybuilder. Ah, who am I kidding.. the first mods are always "better female faces"/WH40k armor/CoD weaponary and the mandatory nude mod.
As mods show Skyrim's engine is quite capable of rendering a pretty face, it's just Beth's artists that can't model any.

Though I expect they'll upgrade the engine a fair bit for Fallout 4 since they'll presumbably leave the Xbox360 and PS3 behind. That will probably just mean a few more polygons and more post processing.[/QUOTE]

Jozoz

Prophet
DasHeadCrapHGN from leddit r/fallout said:
I'm going to hate Fallout 4 if Bethesda does the whole "institute" bullshit. The Platinum chip was one of the only microchips ever made since the big point of divergence in the Fallout universe to ours is lack of the microchip being invented. Now Bethesda says "lol guys these people in Boston instantly made a microchip so advanced it can mimick a Human brain which is even more advanced than modern day ones". Seriously that would ruin the WHOLE lore. The whole reason the Great War happened was because their where no micro-chips and micro-technology in general to make more efficient designs.

TL;DR Androids are lore breaking bullshit

This guy has a point. I think he overvalues how much the microchips meant for the Great War, but he's right that it doesn't really make sense for Androids to exist.

Knowing Bethesda though, Androids are cool so that is more important than being logical and following the lore.

Other examples: Building a town around a huge bomb, Living in a giant ship with absolutely no source of food anywhere close, Walking around with a huge rocket launcher that shoots mini nukes even though a big part of the Fallout universe is being afraid of nukes and their devastating effects - hence why we have Vaults and all those vault commercials.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom