Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

bonescraper

And scribes and knights. Even a few dwarfs.

Crevice tab

Savant
This just shows your subjective taste in priorities, not objective goodness of said games.

There is no objective goodness of anything. Goodness and badness are subjective- the most you can have is a consensus on the matter.

So yes I am being subjective on the matter.

Wizardry - great tactical combat, shit story shit writing.
Ultima & TES series - great sandbox exploration, average story, average to shit writing, shit combat.
Torment - great story, great writing, shit combat, no exploration, great atmosphere
Fallout - great writing, average combat, good exploration, great atmosphere

I actually agree on most matters.

Two things:

Ultima and especially TES have good to great writing and story. Morrowind in particular has the greatest writing/story/lore I've ever seen in a videogame.

Secondly while Fallout 1 does have goodish (if a bit cliché) writing what makes Fallout 2's writing good? The whole thing was a severely disjointed collection of folklore references, puns, stereotypes.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
There is no objective goodness of anything. Goodness and badness are subjective-
Ok. And at the same time you say this:
Let's face it: Fallout 1 & 2 are both meh games overall.
So it isn't really ''meh'', it's just your subjective opinion. hurrpadurrp relativfags cannot into their own argument once again
Then stop pretending you aren't with the followup like this:
Ultima and especially TES have good to great writing and story. Morrowind in particular has the greatest writing/story/lore I've ever seen in a videogame.
First of all i have to laugh at this a bit:
966.jpg

Secondly, if you think writing in Morowind is the pinnacle, you... oh well.. never mind
Secondly while Fallout 1 does have goodish (if a bit cliché) writing
In comparison to all the fantasy crap you cited as your favs.
Ye olde english and dwarfs that speak aggressively with thick scottish accent are sure surprisingly novel concept.
Sorry i even bothered with you.

Crevice tab

Savant
There is no objective goodness of anything. Goodness and badness are subjective-
Ok. And at the same time you say this:
Let's face it: Fallout 1 & 2 are both meh games overall.
So it isn't really ''meh'', it's just your subjective opinion. hurrpadurrp relativfags cannot into their own argument once again
Then stop pretending you aren't with the followup like this:

Just because I don't say 'In my opinion' 15 times per post doesn't make the message any less subjective. It just makes it a lot less repetitive, less boring and shorter.

Secondly, if you think writing in Morowind is the pinnacle, you... oh well.. never mind
Secondly while Fallout 1 does have goodish (if a bit cliché) writing
In comparison to all the fantasy crap you cited as your favs.
Ye olde english and dwarfs that speak aggressively with thick scottish accent are sure surprisingly novel concept.
Sorry i even bothered with you.
Pretty much every major character in Morrowind comes with good writing attached and that doesn't mean just Vivec, Fyr or Cosades (although their writing is superb) but almost every recurrent quest giver. Yes the minor characters sound like Wikipedia- but there are hundreds of NPCs so it would be pretty dumb to expect every guard to come up with some great piece of wit

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I don't remember a single character from Morrowind. Reason? Because none of them has any individual personality. a) they provide you with wiki article on certain theme b) they give you quests. That is all. In fallout dialogues are all about the personality of a given NPC and to say they are cliche is quite asinine given your favored rpgs. Most NPCs in both Fallouts were fresh and unusual as fuck, when compared with other crpgs ever made. They were, of course, cliche in the context of general popculture tropes that the whole setting was made to mimic (Mad Max & alike). Though the retro 50's throwback was actually a novel concept. However, when comparing to almost ANY fantasy crpg, Fallout shits on them in terms on being none-cliche.

Drax

Arcane
a) they provide you with wiki article on certain theme b) they give you quests. That is all. In fallout dialogues are all about the personality of a given NPC.
To me, the major characters in TES games are supposed to express some part of the eternal dynamic of it's cosmology. True, in the same series you get both FUCKING Vivec and Emperor Picard; both extremely important actors in tamrielic history but hugely different in the quality of their representation.
In order to enjoy TES games, you have to play them in your head, using the actual game like you would use a spreadsheet in P&P.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
This trend started with Daggerfall, where Bethesda makes games for medium-functioning autistics.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Didn't know there are so many Morrowind fanboys around. :decline:
I remember it was universally dissed and thought of as shit single player mmorpg (which it is) back in the day. Seems that it only needs a sufficient time period to pass for a shit game to be suddenly remembered fondly becoz nostalgia lol. Or maybe it's just the barrage of shit games that came after makes Morowind a shiny gem in comparison.

Drax

Arcane
Or maybe it actually is the definition of a flawed gem, those that appreciate the "gem" part like it, even love it, those that can't stand the "flawed" part, can't stand it.
It's ok, bro, such is life.

Higher Animal

Arcane
People hate Morrowind because it is easily broken. Some people lack the discipline or adventuring spirit that a game like Morrowind requires in order to fully enjoy so they mewl about it on RPG forums where perfect gameplay systems like those seen in Fallout and Arcanum are discussed.

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
I don't remember a single character from Morrowind.
0OTkdRQ.gif

I dunno, there was quite a few iconic characters in Morrowind, but the game was as much about the game world as it's about characters. It's more about how those characters fit into the bigger picture and what role they play and their relationship they with the people around them and the world as a whole, I think the interconnectivity and flavour of Morrowind's characters are much greater than the ones in Fallout. It's true that most of them doesn't have a strong personal voice but there's such a mass of memorable characters anyway so I think it more than makes up for that.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I don't remember any ''interconnectivity'' between characters in this game at all. I only remember that guy because he looked weird and floats around.

I remember it was universally dissed and thought of as shit single player mmorpg (which it is) back in the day.

Not that I care much about those, but it received high review scores from everyone. It's even in some versions of the back cover. If you meant you saw some random dudes on the internet saying it was shit, something tells me Caius Cosades was involved. :M

(calling it "single player mmo" one page after you said it has "great sandbox exploration with average writing" makes me wonder if you ever played a mmo in your life or if it's something you barely remember from the pre-brainfog days)

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I was talking about Codex. Would seem obvious, no? Of course it got glowing reviews. Like all the crap Bethesda dishes out.

Being a good sandbox and feel like single player MMORPG isn't contradictory. Game, where the sole gameplay revolves around hunting for better loot, while exploring landscapes can be fun time waster, of course. The problem is that it gets old too soon, which is why i never finished it despite starting three or maybe four times in the course of last 10 years.

"Universally" is the opposite of what comes to mind when I think of Codex, so no it wasn't that obvious. :M

And better loot is of limited utility since skills are more important. By level 15 you'll be killing people with a sharp stick

Luzur

Good Sir
First non-Cosades character I think of when someone says "Morrowind" is Sugar-Lips Habasi.

OUR SSSSSSUGAR IS YOURRRRRRS FRRRRIEND

i was actually reminded of that "Wanna be special friends" Khajiit Ahnasse in...was it Pelagiad?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom