Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Untermensch

Augur
Is this the official Codex butthurt thread?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think it's pretty irrelevant at this point which is better, Fallout or Fallout 2. They are both firmly in their own category with no on par competition in the franchise. Even if New Vegas might have narratice design up to snuff the gameplay and the overall feel are much worse.

Crevice tab

Savant
Fallout 2 is bigger, more reactive, better designed and better balanced. It's a better game. But why are we discussing good games in this shitty thread?

Still doesn't excuse the horribly crappy story.

Let's face it: Fallout 1 & 2 are both meh games overall. They only look good because Fallout 3 is epically bad.

karfhud

Augur
Fallout 2 is bigger, more reactive, better designed and better balanced. It's a better game. But why are we discussing good games in this shitty thread?

Let's face it: Fallout 1 & 2 are both meh games overall. They only look good because Fallout 3 is epically bad.

:x

Who are you?

WHO ARE YOU?!

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

Well, give us an example of a good game.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Crevice Tab:Let's face it: Fallout 1 & 2 are both meh games overall. They only look good because Fallout 3 is epically bad.

DeepOcean: Really? Okay sure... I agree 100% with you crazy person, let me go in there to talk with those nice people that look like nurses from a mental institution the other side of the street, alright?

DeepOcean talking with mental institution people: Hey, guise... Get that newfag NAW! He is crazy and a potential child molester. Save us from his inane cheap trolling.

Crevice tab

Savant
How about a non-fantasy game?

I actually can't think of an non-fantasy RPG which I'd put in the GOOD(tm) box but then again I don't play a lot of non fantasy RPGs. Off the top of my head Mount&Blade and Deus Ex are okayish in a very 'meh, play them if you don't have anything better to do' way. Perhaps I'm being a bit unfair with Mount&Blade but I'm not a great fan of its style.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron

I actually can't think of an non-fantasy RPG which I'd put in the GOOD(tm) box but then again I don't play a lot of non fantasy RPGs. Off the top of my head Mount&Blade and Deus Ex are okayish in a very 'meh, play them if you don't have anything better to do' way. Perhaps I'm being a bit unfair with Mount&Blade but I'm not a great fan of its style.

There's nothing wrong with Fallout 1 & 2, you just don't seem to like non-fantasy games.

Crevice tab

Savant
Fallout New Vegas is passable if you mod it sufficiently.

The things I liked about FNV aren't things that are modded.

True. By mods I mainly mean the obligatory bug fixing (though there are a couple of good graphics additions if you look carefully).

FNV was as good as it could get considering the engine.

There's nothing wrong with Fallout 1 & 2, you just don't seem to like non-fantasy games.

True. I'm probably biased in favor of fantasy at least for RPGs.

bonescraper

More like non-first person games.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Let's face it: Fallout 1 & 2 are both meh games overall.
TO755Fl.jpg

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Well, give us an example of a good game.

Wizardry, Ultima 6 & 7, Daggerfall and Morrowind from TES, Planescape: Torment.
This just shows your subjective taste in priorities, not objective goodness of said games.
Wizardry - great tactical combat, shit story shit writing.
Ultima & TES series - great sandbox exploration, average story, average to shit writing, shit combat.
Torment - great story, great writing, shit combat, no exploration, great atmosphere
Fallout - great writing, average combat, good exploration, great atmosphere

Also, you seem to be biased towards fantasy settings. I'm biased in the right opposite direction.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2

Well, Fallout does have Ogres, Undead and Lizardmen too.

:troll:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Ultima & TES series - great sandbox exploration, average story, average to shit writing, shit combat.

I don't think Morrowind had average to shit writing, I thought it was pretty good.
For starters, i'm judging the series as a whole. Secondly, i sort of liked the ''lore'' part of Morrowind as it wasn't utterly generic. Didn't really read most of the books and wiki-npcs, but those that i did were fairly decent. The thing is, that is not what i consider ''writing'' in these sort of games. I'm associating that with interactive dialogues or stuff like item/environmental descriptions. All Black Isle/Troyka games had it great. Shadowrun Returns seems to be closest thing in that respect from modern games i played. Lore books and stuff like that is basically a wiki segment thrown in a game to explain setting and i wouldn't even say that Morrowind's stuff was particulary well written, just that the lore itself was interesting. The form and quality of writing was pretty much in the vain of your typical Bioware in-game book.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron

Well, Fallout does have Ogres, Undead and Lizardmen too.

:troll:

And Palladins

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom