Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Black Angel

Arcane
Think I'm gonna try New Vegas, heard it's almost as good as Fallout 4
So, what shall it be? Are you a
bethestard.png
, or are you just a regular dumbass?

But seriously, from where the fuck did you heard "almost as good as Fallout 4"?

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
The war was fucking forever ago, why does the world still look like shit, did we not rediscover the art that is drywall?

Max Stats

Liturgist
The war was fucking forever ago, why does the world still look like shit, did we not rediscover the art that is drywall?

Everytime they put up a wall, mutants came over and pushed it down and laughed at them. That's why no one built anything until you defrosted, special snowflake.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter

Everytime they put up a wall, mutants came over and pushed it down and laughed at them. That's why no one built anything until you defrosted, special snowflake.

Oh well now I know, it would have been nice if they elaborated on the Dry Wall Wars.

Big No

Novice
Everything in the game is even too much compressed as far as ive seen of it. I mean, man, you keep wondering how the people living pre-war managed to even drive those big winged 50's nukecars around on those "roads" or "streets" in Boston.
This was something I noticed as well back in Fallout 3. All the cars are these huge 50's monstrosities and the roads are wide enough to barely qualify as a one way street IRL. Not to mention the semi trucks littering the wasteland. They'd probably jack knife turning an average corner.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I was playing last night and it was dark and I had the pip boy light on and thought that something just seems off. Then I noticed the pipboy light doesn't create shadows. Wtf is that

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I was playing last night and it was dark and I had the pip boy light on and thought that something just seems off. Then I noticed the pipboy light doesn't create shadows. Wtf is that

there's a mod that turns on its shadow-casting light but it's really annoying to play with and doesn't always look great plus it has a performance impact

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I think 4 is a better shooter than 3, but fails at everything else.
Fixed that for you.

For Bethesda standards, Skyrim was actually a yuge improvement, showing how they stole learned from other games like FNV, only to take several steps back for FO4. Hurrays, people have farms now and don't live off 200 yo instant mashed potatos, and they even took over FNV's companion system and the the crafting. Just more retarded, no orders and drugs or instant healing items craftable by every INT 1 doofus...
And randomized loot, crappy for weapons, outright useless for armors, because most of the time the RNG creates the lowest version. You are better off buying the fixed ones from vendors.

But then they deliver us an empty sandbox. It's like the content designers were laid off after finishing the main quest stuff. Empty boring buildings. Unless you do some radiant quest there is no reason to explore. There are not even scripted scenes inside the "dungeons" once you have left the "press demo radius". Or it's buggy and never plays. Did you know the BAFTL place has a scene with two raiders hiding behind the table, waiting for their pals to switch off the firing turret? Never played for me. Seeing a raider with a name and a terminal entry is already the most budget saving "story" you can get.

Proper settlements, fortified pitstops for the caravans? Naaaaah. Everything was just raided by raiders/gunners/mutants a day before you arrive, Quincy, Natick, etc. Not that you could repopulate those fortified prime locations mind you, please settle in the swamp instead, on top of the mudcrab queen spawn. :hahano:

Plus the bullshitty "200 years after the bombs" they needed in FO3 for their vault origin, now they need it again so they can bring back FO3 characters nobody liked .
200 years and nobody managed to create a lasting settlement aside from the ballpark and penis monument hill, but the moment you bury a potato hordes of settlers come crawling. Humanity didn't deserve to survive.

You know something is wrong, if you think about FO3 of all games having done something better...

Last edited:

pippin

200 years and nobody managed to create a lasting settlement aside from the ballpark and penis monument hill, but the moment you bury a potato hordes of settlers come crawling. Humanity didn't deserve to survive.

Quite true to the history of mankind to be honest.

Luzur

Good Sir

200 years (in Bethesda's new lore) and there is stuff like food and ammo still lootable in the stores and warehouses, someone have gone around the wasteland boarding up houses just because, wooden houses still standing even if submerged in swamp/open to the elements, not a single car have been fixed up to work (modern Fallout people dont even seem to know that you could have a working Highwayman in Fallout 2).... i could go on but i will just get angry.

Zerginfestor

Learned

200 years (in Bethesda's new lore) and there is stuff like food and ammo still lootable in the stores and warehouses, someone have gone around the wasteland boarding up houses just because, wooden houses still standing even if submerged in swamp/open to the elements, not a single car have been fixed up to work (modern Fallout people dont even seem to know that you could have a working Highwayman in Fallout 2).... i could go on but i will just get angry.

And to think, New Vegas actually did a step upward in the right direction when it came to the ammo crap. If you paid attention along your travels, you would find that ammo boxes and stockpiles of ammo were actually pretty damn hard to come by, and you could only get more from either stealing from ammo boxes obviously placed down by the NCR/people who rightfully own the ammo and are nearby, buy it, or kill others for their ammo by being careful and aiming for the skull. Ammo wasn't raining everywhere, it was only in very specific locations with an actual backstory behind it. I think you had an extremely low % of finding low amounts of ammo in random locations too, like 2 bullets in a dumpster. I think I only got that when I was in Freeside, and how the game describes that area, I didn't find it too much of a stretch. Hell I think Josh Sawyer's mod reduces this chance even further. I think the only place that seems somewhat odd is the gas station after Novac, which my only guess is the items in the building is basically pitstop for other scavengers to drop loot they didn't care for and food for others on their journey.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
FNV worked pretty well with my favorite playstyle: live off the land and no healing in combat. Ammo conversion turned the useless crap into useful ammo (and answered the question where all thate ammo comes from) and healing items where rare enough to make them valuable. Not like FO4 where I sold another 100 every few days. And thanks to looted guns giving also the content of ther magazines ammo was a non issue, god forbid you even having the "moah ammo" perk. If the Fallout bible described FO2 as "ammo grew on trees and fell off the sky", what is FO4 to them?

Better weapons came from enemies, you had to earn them. Although going toe to toe with Caesar's assassins for the brush gun might have been a bad idea since I was also running a "no armor" houserule. It was funny having the "dialog initiator" follow me half across the map tho. :hahano:

In FO4 you just beeline for the vault, get Ovenseer's Guardian and don't give a fuck about weapons anymore. Screw those junkie wrenches or ghoul healing gamma guns.
Sticking just to the "classic" 10mm pistol and hunting rifle is impossible after ~ lvl30, when everyone and their mother gets 100+ armor and 1000+ hps. 5 headshots with a pimped out revolver against a helmless gunner FFS. :argh:

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Thats why I like FO4 best at the beginning when you are really weak. I'm only to the second Colony quest and already have 450 bullets for my pipe rifle and I didn't buy any ammo.

Frozen

Arcane
If you put so much effort (3h) in bashing a game you have probably played for like 300h so...it kind of devaluates any critic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom