Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Grizzlor

Novice
I hadn't really any hopes for FO4 when they announced it (or even way before that), besides the fact that Bethesda would take some of the good things about their environmental design from FO3 and combine it with the quality of story and quest elements from New Vegas. That hope was obviously futile since we all know what came out of Beth in the end. I still think the visual elements and environment would offer a base for a good game in FO4. It's just that Bethesda has refined the art of soullessness into almost perfection with FO4.

The only redeeming thing with that game was Far Harbor. There was an inkling of the atmosphere of despair and decay that you'd expect in a post-apocalyptic world. But even Far Harbor contained Bethesda's cardinal sin of completely messing up most of the enemy factions. I don't understand what their formula is to create such utterly meaningless bandit encounters. It's a world ruled by marauding gangs and none of them have an ounce of personality put in them. I understand having feral ghouls as generic bullet fodder but principal element of an postapocalyptic mankind should be little more refined. As a semi-intact city Boston should've had named gangs with named bosses and defined turfs as their domain. The urban area of Boston was rather well crafted visually but the content itself was hollow and unengaging.

Nuka World, which I regretfully admit purchasing - an act of which I'm ready to be publicly quarter'd and drawn, was an epitome of this kind of pathological incompetence in world building more and more typical for Bethesda. A post-apocalyptic city built in an amusement park run by marauding gangs is pretty neat idea and bursting with potential. But execution wasn't even half-assed. It's like they made 15% of the content they we're aiming for and slapped a ridiculously high price tag on that mess. I really feel bad for the competent artists working for Bethesda. To put all that work in the assets and sound design to be completely shat on by the talentless writing and game design.

Zerginfestor

Learned
I am actually more curious for what reasons you would play it, the story is abysmal and there is nothing really qualifying "role playing" in the game.
Even if you just want to spend some time wandering around and building stuff there are lots of better games that have those elements and are more rewarding.

The only reason I can see anyone trying it out is the FROST mod, which is still unfinished and the amount of demand on memory use is too much for me.

Zerginfestor

Learned
Frost modders made me check out Dust, their NV mod.

DUST is alright, the sanity shit is pretty idiotic however in terms of NV which people who, for 200 years, have lived with the concept of death around the corner, bloodthirsty raiders, monstrosities, and a hellish environment, yet oh no, you killed someone that was trying to attack you? YOU'RE INSANE! The lack of vendors in DUST also irks me to no end.

From what I recall, people claim Obscurum is the harder version compared to DUST, but I don't know, honestly.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I never got into Fallout until Fallout 4. I bought and traded in FO3 so many times because I knew there was something there I just find it. But fallout4 really got me, I just liked how the spaces were filled and the world was more dense. It's so cool looking down on a town from up high and just kind of scoping it out to see what might lie within. It's like the walking dead sometimes. I really liked Nick the detective, probably one of my favorite Bethesda characters.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Has anyone made a mod yet that completely removes all the bullshit (i.e. every quest and dialogue) and just focuses on being a wasteland survival simulator? That might almost be worth playing. For a short while. If you get it cheap/free.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I play on PS4 so I'm sure there are mods for PC but at night time it's just not dark enough. I don't think there is a brightness setting on the PS4, I haven't found it if there is, just different colors for pip boy.

pippin

It was never dark enough at night even on Morrowind, and that's a place without electricity.

CrawlingDead

Learned
I never got into Fallout until Fallout 4. I bought and traded in FO3 so many times because I knew there was something there I just find it. But fallout4 really got me, I just liked how the spaces were filled and the world was more dense. It's so cool looking down on a town from up high and just kind of scoping it out to see what might lie within. It's like the walking dead sometimes. I really liked Nick the detective, probably one of my favorite Bethesda characters.
They did a much better job with the setting in Fallout 4. Fallout 3 was painfully empty by comparison. I recommend you try New Vegas and the original Fallout titles. In any case, I don't think Fallout 4 is all that bad of an RPG.

Zerginfestor

Learned

Spaces were filled and was more dense? What fucking game are you playing? The only area that was 'dense' was the city layout in the southern-mid section and that area is fucking horrendous for any player. Everywhere else is either dead or empty.

anus_pounder

Arcane

Agreed 100%. :salute:

Did you get the DLCs? I finished the main game a while back - i.e. during the initial release time period, but now that all the DLCs are out, I'm itching to give this another go.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter

Agreed 100%. :salute:

Did you get the DLCs? I finished the main game a while back - i.e. during the initial release time period, but now that all the DLCs are out, I'm itching to give this another go.

I have Far Harbor, but I haven't played it yet. I'm playing through FO4 again right now, and then I'm gonna play it. My favorite part about fall out games is when you are really weak and have to scavenge everything. Far Harbor supposed to have really good atmosphere.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
And I wish you could enter more of the buildings. I don't understand why not, yeah it would have been more work but I'm pretty sure you could enter any building in other Bethesda games.

Goblino

Savant
I think 4 is a better shooter and a worthy step above 3, but falls short of the writing and agency of NV. But I'm only just starting out.

CrawlingDead

Learned
They did a much better job with the setting in Fallout 4. Fallout 3 was painfully empty by comparison. I recommend you try New Vegas and the original Fallout titles. In any case, I don't think Fallout 4 is all that bad of an RPG.

You're such a fucking dirtbag, man. I just....you fucking disgust me, seriously. Fuck you.
Hillary lost, get over it.

Zerginfestor

Learned
I think 4 is a better shooter and a worthy step above 3, but falls short of the writing and agency of NV. But I'm only just starting out.

meh, I don't even know if the shooting is amazing in terms of NV, every weapon in the game has a huge lackluster sound when firing, with the only exception being laser weaponry(not a fucking surprise), or the Combat Rifle(which everyone and their grandmother online seems to be calling it their favorite weapon, despite it's hideous, blocky look). The recoil animation looks nice on some of the weapons but even some are inferior compared to NV, such as the fucking revolver firing animation. I guess it's an improvement, just not...a very big one like the internet makes it out to be.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Gun handling needs to be more unique, but F4 had improved on the shooting front. Storyfags should stay away. IMO far harbor is their best dlc since it is the least laziest . Weapon selection in survival revolves around ammo availability and damage delivered. I really wish vendors wouldn't re stock so much ammunition to make scavenging more of a necessity. By the time you reach Diamond City, scarcity is no longer a thing.

TK--421

Literate
It doesn't get better, it pretty much just stagnates. The final missions for each faction are extremely simplistic and lacking compared to NV.

Luzur

Good Sir

Spaces were filled and was more dense? What fucking game are you playing? The only area that was 'dense' was the city layout in the southern-mid section and that area is fucking horrendous for any player. Everywhere else is either dead or empty.

Everything in the game is even too much compressed as far as ive seen of it. I mean, man, you keep wondering how the people living pre-war managed to even drive those big winged 50's nukecars around on those "roads" or "streets" in Boston.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter

Everything in the game is even too much compressed as far as ive seen of it. I mean, man, you keep wondering how the people living pre-war managed to even drive those big winged 50's nukecars around on those "roads" or "streets" in Boston.

They were flying cars

Zerginfestor

Learned

LOL, you're right, those fucking streets are so goddamn narrow, I wonder how the fuck one can even turn with those large cars. Makes me think of Boston Common, which is too fucking compact for any vehicle to cruise about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom