Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Frozen

Arcane
Water LOL

Fairfax

Arcane
Mouse acceleration, narrow FoV, intro video, no graphics options in-game. Bethesda delivers once again.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
In a year when games like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt have redefined what open-world RPGs are capable of, I suspect that a lot of Fallout fans will be forced to question whether the usual Bethesda shtick of providing vast amounts of unpolished content with no emotional investment is still enough. I had a pretty good time, but despite its many strong points, Fallout 4 feels like one of Bethesda's minor works.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Forbes: 8.5/10

The problem with the game is that while fans of Fallout 3 may indeed be delighted by more of the same, that same sort of jump just isn’t present in this sequel. Fallout 4 feels like a lateral move rather than a true advancement for the series, improving in some small ways but lagging behind other games in the shooter and sandbox genres because of Bethesda’s aging engine and their refusal to address persistent gameplay concerns.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/games/2...iew-look-upon-my-works-ye-mighty-and-despair/

It's happening. Pretty much as I predicted last year.

Zeronet

Learned
It's still going to sell tons of copies, it's like a iphone, driven by hype and huge marketing muscle. Sadly, a fair few 'AAA' titles can propel themselves solely through inertia. I was a little surprised they didn't manage more technical improvements, i'm not surprised the characters, quests and plots are complete crap in terms of writing.

I wish I could just ignore it and that Fallout 1/2 weren't my favourite RPGs of all time. It's like being a Star Wars fan and all the new movies are about Jar Jar Binks the Jedi Knight.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I think a shit game has its effect on the next game they sell. I doubt it'll be received as anything less than grand with a few minor quibbles like shit writing, animations, ideas, characters and coherency.

Zeronet

Learned
If only there were a few good men who could drive it to 84 or worse. That was would justice.

Lemming42

Arcane
So this door magically won't open until I personally kill all the raiders, when I get in I barely have a choice to turn down the stupid power armour quest and when I finally do turn it down they all rant at me. Tried to kill them for it, they just got knocked unconcious by being shot in the face.

This is really bad. This actually makes Fo3 look good so far.

Shammy

Learned
Obsidian could make the Attributes affect dialogue and shake up the Perks to include non violent options. And we know they can make a good story, characters and factions.
Hopefully the engine actually supports that, since the dialogue system itself is pretty muddled already. Makes me wonder just how modular the engine itself really is, hopefully enough to where we can alter the stupid dialogue UI to be more in line with 3/NV.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So this door magically won't open until I personally kill all the raiders, when I get in I barely have a choice to turn down the stupid power armour quest and when I finally do turn it down they all rant at me. Tried to kill them for it, they just got knocked unconcious by being shot in the face.

This is really bad. This actually makes Fo3 look good so far.
Really? So what I read in the Russian review, that you can kill faction leaders was wrong? And that was a bit bright news.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh you probably can. By pressing A to kill faction leader now while we allow it.

Last edited:

pippin

Now is not the moment to worry, I think. As I've been saying, the next months will be crucial for the game's future, especially if Bethesda adds something relevant to the main game with the DLCs (like a new ending, something they've already done). The scores might be high at launch but the popular opinion will change fast; this has been the case with almost every new AAA release since at least 3 years. Mostly because

It's still going to sell tons of copies, it's like a iphone, driven by hype and huge marketing muscle

This. A game being new is better than a game being good. Only notorious failures, like Arkham Knight, are seen as something really bad. Many people will enjoy FO4 because they also like Borderlands, but I'd like to see someone saying stuff like "I liked FO3 better than this". It could be fun.

Jozoz

Prophet
One thing that irks me is how many weapons you get thrown in your head.

In the other Fallouts you started out with nothing and slowly acquired your stuff - even Fallout 3 to a degree - and in this game you're just spoonfed everything you could ever want.

pippin

In Fallout 3 you got a lot of weapons even in higher difficulties. The thing is most of them were broken and you didn't had enough repair % to fix them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom