Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout 4 Released

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
They shipped 4.7 mil copies of Fallout 3 and sold over 600,000k copies in the first month. If SteamSpy is to be believed, they sold 1.2 mil copies in the first day, which is consistent with Skyrim (over 3 mil copies sold in the first two days). They shipped 7 mil Skyrim copies and ran out within a month and had to ship another 3 mil in Dec. So most likely they will sell 12 mil copies of Fallout 4 within 6 months at most.

Fry

Arcane
But surely those negative metacritics user scores are all that matters.

I find it amusing when the same people who freak out about "paid reviews" and "corruption" in games media then turn around and take metacritic user reviews seriously.

It's a shit aggregation site. No one who cares about video games should be giving them any clicks.

Seerix

Arbiter

Fun review. Fallout 3 fan hating on Fallout 4. And he hates consoles. But he really likes his hiking simulators and murder...

So he gives it a thumbs up, regardless of everything. :troll:

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
it's refreshing to finally see a tiny bit of shine smudged off of Bethesda's utterly undeserved reputation. I just wish it hadn't taken the final nail in the coffin of the Fallout franchise to do it. even if they do let Obsidian make another game, they'll doubtless require that they have a voiced protagonist, and probably that godawful dialogue wheel, and while Obsidian (alone among any dev) did kind of make that work in Alpha Protocol...it just isn't the way Fallout games are meant to be written.

what I don't understand is why people write these reviews that are full of recognition of the things that make me hate Bethesda games--terrible dialogue, forgettable characters, absurd plots, weak gameplay--but then wrap up with something like "but it's super big and there's lots to explore." so as long as you heap on lots of bad, that becomes a 90+ review? from the text of most of these reviews it sounds like, I dunno, a six, maybe a seven if you've grown completely calcified to Bethesda's godawful writing.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
$750 million profit, 7.5 out of that will go into making Fallout 5, and the rest will to Todd so he can resupply his stock of anal beads.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Decided to load up my old Fallout 3 save, that one was fully moded with lots of tweaks to ENB, leveling, weapon damage and eye candy with bouncing titties and all that good shit
Frankly I dont hate it and it looks nice with all those mods... Funny how people thought Fallout 4 would have the be the jump from Oblivion to Skyrim but it was such an abomination that even its fanbois noticed

catfood

AGAIN
November 13, 2015 (Rockville, MD) – Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax® Media company, today announced that its award-winning game, Fallout® 4, is generating record sales at retail outlets and via digital download for Xbox One, PlayStation® 4 computer entertainment system and PC. Bethesda launched with approximately 12 million units worldwide to meet day one demand, representing sales in excess of $750 million. The collector’s edition, the Fallout 4 Pip-Boy™ Edition, sold out within hours of its announced availability.

http://bethsoft.com/en-gb/news

:decline: indeed.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They shipped 4.7 mil copies of Fallout 3 and sold over 600,000k copies in the first month. If SteamSpy is to be believed, they sold 1.2 mil copies in the first day, which is consistent with Skyrim (over 3 mil copies sold in the first two days). They shipped 7 mil Skyrim copies and ran out within a month and had to ship another 3 mil in Dec. So most likely they will sell 12 mil copies of Fallout 4 within 6 months at most.
Will Iron Tower Studios be doing the 'New Vegas' spinoff of Fallout 4?

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
November 13, 2015 (Rockville, MD) – Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax® Media company, today announced that its award-winning game, Fallout® 4, is generating record sales at retail outlets and via digital download for Xbox One, PlayStation® 4 computer entertainment system and PC. Bethesda launched with approximately 12 million units worldwide to meet day one demand, representing sales in excess of $750 million. The collector’s edition, the Fallout 4 Pip-Boy™ Edition, sold out within hours of its announced availability.

http://bethsoft.com/en-gb/news

:decline: indeed.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Will Iron Tower Studios be doing the 'New Vegas' spinoff of Fallout 4?
I emailed Pete Hines saying that we can guarantee to sell 10,000 copies on release and up to additional 5,000 copies in the first year. He will reply once the shock of realizing what he can do with this kind of cash wears off.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
He could pay Captain Picard one syllable of one word to grunt something amazing with that kind of money.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I emailed Pete Hines saying that we can guarantee to sell 10,000 copies on release and up to additional 5,000 copies in the first year. He will reply once the shock of realizing what he can do with this kind of cash wears off.
Just show him your metacritic rating!

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Managed to completely ignore the game untill now...misguidedly decided to try it today.

It's beyond retarded. There are no skills. No fucking skills at all. It was probably too hard for the consoletards to choose, so now you can automatically do everything. Level up = you get to choose a perk and that's it.
SPECIAL is also fucked up. In F1&2, it was kinda interesting to choose which stats are the most useful for your build. In F4... good luck with finding a stat that's not nearly useless. Half of them only give you some bonus to the VATS shit you are not going to use anyway.
Staying true to the console motto "trying too hard to make the player feel good", the game tells you how awesome and good looking you are every 14 seconds... when you are just creating your character. This trend goes on - you get power armor and minigun in the first town in some perverted, instant-gratification attempt to give the 'cool stuff' to the retards right away.
Story is typically bethtarded, with some waaaa they killed mah wife. And by wife I mean some nondescript, poorly animated thing that has wobbled around for like 3 minutes, said about 2 sentences and then got pew pewd. You are somehow expected to care. It does not get better.

Could not take more than the first 2-3 hours.

Cassidy

Arcane

And given the likelihood of a handful of Militiades as NPCs in the test demo, it would be 100% rejected by Bethesda's affirmative action employment program for special ed students AKA focus groups.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane

People, like Todd Howard, on that creative level don't do what they do for money. Most consumers refuse to understand that. Unsuccessful people always want to blame successful people for everything that's wrong with the world. Sad.

Other devs are mad jelly that Bethesda can make $x00 million dollars with a game that looks like it took $10 million to make, plays like it took $2 million, and crashes like it was QAed on a budget of $10 + an unfinished handjob.

Esquilax

Arcane
And given the likelihood of a handful of Militiades as NPCs in the test demo, it would be 100% rejected by Bethesda's affirmative action employment program for special ed students AKA focus groups.

It is funny - and by funny, I mean horrifying - to think about how various AoD characters would turn out if they were written by Bethesda.
Antidas in AoD: Delusional megalomanic obsessed by romantic ideals of the past.
Antidas as envisioned by Bethesda: Brave, good-hearted king who was tricked and betrayed by the evil Gaelius! Now all he owns is a small town.

Miltiades in AoD: Piece of shit sociopath. He's no two-bit hustler though, the man is ambitious, amazing at thinking on his feet, and incredibly dangerous.
Miltiades as envisioned by Bethesda: A wacky, silly con man. Serves as a companion for the PC.

Gaelius in AoD: A level-headed, practical ruler. Forward-thinking. Probably this world's best shot, really.
Gaelius as envisioned by Bethesda: Cruel tyrant. You have to reach the Temple of Thor-Agoth before Gaelius comes and takes all the power within for himself!

Last edited by a moderator:

bledcarrot

Educated
what I don't understand is why people write these reviews that are full of recognition of the things that make me hate Bethesda games--terrible dialogue, forgettable characters, absurd plots, weak gameplay--but then wrap up with something like "but it's super big and there's lots to explore." so as long as you heap on lots of bad, that becomes a 90+ review? from the text of most of these reviews it sounds like, I dunno, a six, maybe a seven if you've grown completely calcified to Bethesda's godawful writing.

I totally get this though, because while I agree with all of the criticisms here, and more, the game is fucking fun. Simple as that. The writing sucks even more than usual this time around, but anyone who plays a Bethesda game for the main quest line and story shouldn't be taken seriously anyway. Ask me to review the game with a focus on its storyline and I'd probably give it, at best, a 6. Ask me to review it as an RPG and I'd probably give it a 2. Ask me to take it for what it is, a mindless shooter with open world exploration and very light base building/crafting elements...and it's a 9 for me. I've already put close to 50 hours in to it because it's just fucking fun roaming the wastelands shooting shit. The weakness of the writing and the characters is a legit criticism, but it's just not what I play the game for, and I don't know that it necessarily has to be judged on those merits when the rest of it might be highly enjoyable. So I can see how reviewers might raise those criticisms but still give it a high score.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
So F4, just as Skyrim, is a walking simulator that does nothing right but still strokes the autistic need to walk around killing spiders and whatnot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom