Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout 4 Released

Kron

Arcane
IT BEGINS.

149-3-1447259231.png

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They took the time to model pubic hair. You know they want this to happen.
I doubt that's the stock body texture. These seams between the hands and body are too much even for Bethesda's standards.

BTW has anyone noticed how every person's face is slightly darker than the rest of his head, for example compare the face area saturation to the area around the ears and neck.

Suicidal

Arcane
Must admit, I don't really get the angst over Codexers playing F4, particularly those who haven't paid for it. Can honestly say I've never played F3 or F4 but I can understand someone wanting to check them out instead of just reading how shit they are. At least there's still plenty of Bethesda hate to go around and provide a welcome contrast to the fanboy forums out there.

Had to chuckle at the Jim Sterling link and the metacritic stuff. I notice he didn't really address the accusations of biased/bought reviews.

I honestly have no problems with people playing and enjoying Fallout 4. Hey, it's their time and their money and I won't judge how they spend it. You can do way worse than FO4. What makes me facepalm is that your average codexer, who spends his days bitching on the forums about how all new games are dumbed down, decline, shit etc., and how they're above it all and how companies like Bethesda and Bioware should die and don't deserve their success, then himself ends up paying Bethesda money and contributes to the continuing dumbing down, decline, shit etc. and nobody learns a fucking thing.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
I honestly have no problems with people playing and enjoying Fallout 4. Hey, it's their time and their money and I won't judge how they spend it. You can do way worse than FO4. What makes me facepalm is that your average codexer, who spends his days bitching on the forums about how all new games are dumbed down, decline, shit etc., and how they're above it all and how companies like Bethesda and Bioware should die and don't deserve their success, then himself ends up paying Bethesda money and contributes to the continuing dumbing down, decline, shit etc. and nobody learns a fucking thing.

Agree 100%. That's why anyone who bought this should be exposed.

Mustawd

I honestly have no problems with people playing and enjoying Fallout 4. Hey, it's their time and their money and I won't judge how they spend it.

It's not that I judge people on what they do with their time. It's that all the attention we're giving this FPS just feeds into the hype machine of these things. Know the best way to get good CRPGs back? Pay attention to good CPGs.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't really get why user reviews for this game specifically are so negative when it's basically just Skyrim with guns, and everyone seemed to love that one. Have people finally gotten tired of Bethesda rehashing the same formula over and over again post-Morrowind?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I don't really get why user reviews for this game specifically are so negative when it's basically just Skyrim with guns, and everyone seemed to love that one. Have people finally gotten tired of Bethesda rehashing the same formula over and over again post-Morrowind?
Open World roaming is the standard nowdays so the half-assed style of Bethesda games is probably less tolerated.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been wondering the same. My explanation is that the people who got their first hang of Bethesda games with FO3 or Skyrim are now 7 or 4 years older respectively, and FO4 isn't clicking the same way with them. We have a huge-sized generation of "neo-gorgnards" so to speak.

Open World roaming is the standard nowadays so the half-assed style of Bethesda games are probably less tolerated.
That too. Open world games are not as rare nowadays and Bethesda are far behind the competition by now. There are GTA5 and Witcher 3 and comparing FO4 to these exposes it for as shitty Oblivion clone.

Reinar

Scholar
Chances are none of the guys on the steam group actually has a single post in FO4 threads here.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It also looks and play like ass, barely feels AAA next to other open world titles that came in the last three years. FO3/Skyrim just had the luck of being released at the time every other AAA focused on linear cinematic gameplay.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I blame TW3! :)

Seriously though, at least partially this is because there's finally some competition. For a looooong time whenever Bethestards were confronted about why TES/nu-Fallout games were so bland one of their favorite excuses was "because there's no other way - a huge exploration-driven game simply has to be 90% filler." I would even guess that other developers half-believed that too so they didn't even try. But after Skyrim everyone wanted a piece of the sweet money pie so everyone rushed to make open world games anyway. Consequently the public is now starting to realize that open world games don't actually have to be dumb as fuck and ugly as hell. That it's been a scam all along. And Bethesda is stuck with their "tried and true" TES formula and their washed-out Gamebryo engine.

It's a classic how to lose your primary market through complacency story.

Suicidal

Arcane
I liked Pillars THIS MUCH. Even if you didn't there still enough things a Codexer can choose from right now without having to resort to Fallout 4.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's not really for not having choice that you play Fallout 4, it's because it is the buzz of the moment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom