Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey Roguey, I heard San Francisco in FO2 is RACIST.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Gasp shock horror, you're right. On the upside Colin McComb regrets that both it and Broken Hills made it into final product because he's rightfully embarrassed of both. :smug:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What was wrong with Broken Hills besides the supermutant rape?
Marilyn Manson reference, talking plant named Seymour, glasses-wearing chess playing intelligent scorpion, Wyrmlord's gone on a rant about the ridiculous xp rewards you get for doing practically nothing...

thesoup

Arcane
Also, while I'm at it, everyone who hates F:NV solely for being first person is a dumbfuck.

NO U.

FO1 and 2 didn't have exactly stellar uber balanced mechanics and NV isn't much worse in that regard, only different.

What does perspective have to do with balanced mechanics? :retarded:

First-person in Fallout 3 and its expansion (NV) sucks first of all because it's poorly implemented (absolutely retarded combat, but then you'll have shitheads who think it's somehow better than Arcanum's combat) and second of all because IT'S NOT FALLOUT. First-person =/= Fallout. Motherfucking PERIOD.
Translated: "I don't like first persone perspective games. However, I like Fallout therefor Fallout cannot possibly be a game with first person perspective. I also use CAPS on my last written word to emphasize how right I AM :x ". No, seriously, what's so bad about the gunplay, not taking your personal preference into account? Apart from V.A.T.S. which, we can all agree, is irredeemable shit no sane person uses anyway. The only retarded things regarding combat, imo, is that damage is largely dependent on your skill level (should have been just accuracy, range, reloading, recoil and criticals) and character animations are so horrible it can be quite a pain to aim at someone.

Fallout 3 didn't suck because it was FPP; it sucked because it had no difficulty, it had a shitty unbalanced stat system, butchered the lore as much as it could, had the most retarded writing in possibly ever, and general dumbfuckery around every corner. But it's ok bro, keep insisting that mediocre combat is better than mediocre combat.

Any yes, nothing in the history of gaming is worse than Arcanum's combat.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Translated: "I don't like first persone perspective games.

Wrong.

No, seriously, what's so bad about the gunplay

It just doesn't work. It's feels like shit, because it's not built on a first-person shooter engine and it's painfully obvious. Bloodlines and Deus Ex were, so at least they didn't have that problem.

The only retarded things regarding combat, imo, is that damage is largely dependent on your skill level

Well, there you go. That's why it shouldn't have been first-person in the first place. It has to be based on skills, but that just doesn't work in a first-person shooter. Please no "durr but wizardry is FP".

And, yes, if it's first-person it's not Fallout. PERIOD. I HOPE I EMPHASIZED ENOUGH HOW RIGHT I AM.

Any yes, nothing in the history of gaming is worse than Arcanum's combat.

HURRR I"M EDGY.

Arcanum's TB combat > combat in Fallout 3, at least.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Fallout 3 didn't suck because it was FPP

Yep i'm pretty sure that everyone who played Fallout 1 and 2 expected F3 to be a FPP in real time and not turn based in isometric mode

:hmmm:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So, what exactly is there to Fallout 3's combat besides running around in circles and/or backing out while shooting from every hole you have?

thesoup

Arcane
Fallout 3 didn't suck because it was FPP

Yep i'm pretty sure that everyone who played Fallout 1 and 2 expected F3 to be a FPP in real time and not turn based in isometric mode

:hmmm:
Nice how you pulled a strawman out of your ass.:greatjob:

Actually, yes. Given Bethesda's track record, everyone sane expected a FPP game ever since they bought the rights.

So if F3 was, quality wise, the same in every other aspect as FO1 /2 save for the perspective, it would still be a shitty game?

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
So if F3 was, quality wise, the same in every other aspect as FO1 /2 save for the perspective, it would still be a shitty game?

Yes because it would be cumbersome, F3 is a shitty game and so is NV.

The only Fallouts the hivemind should acknowledge is 1 and 2. F3 and NV does not exist because they are not turn based and don't have isometric mode - they are just oblibion with guns.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So if F3 was, quality wise, the same in every other aspect as FO1 /2 save for the perspective

Well, it's not is it?

But, yes, it would still be shitty. Not as shitty as it is now, but still shitty. Retarded combat where you run around and bash everything on the head while waiting for godmode to recharge will ruin everything. If you think this combat is on the same level as the one Fallout 1&2 or even as the one in Arcanum, you're a moron. PERIOD.

aris

Arcane
On a completely unrelated note: Was just playing NV, and outside the strip, benny warns you to talk to the greeter before entering. Asking him for his story, he tells you that he has among other things been a courier. After this, you have the option to say "Courier? I used to be a courier before I got shot in the head." I wonder if that's where the arrow in the knee in skyrim comes from :D

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Fallout died with 1.
Fallout would still be a good game even if it had ponies and south park characters while retaining SPECIAL, turn based combat and isometric setting ( hmmmmm obsidian making SP rpg...)

Fallout's combat was terrible, though. I can't imagine why you'd like it if you weren't a storyfag.
The imbalances of SPECIAL don't leave much room for tactics but the combat is p. fun. All the little details like the combat text, crit descriptions, different animations and stuff add a lot to it.

MCA
It just doesn't work. It's feels like shit, because it's not built on a first-person shooter engine and it's painfully obvious.

This same old shit about engines again. :retarded:

Bloodlines and Deus Ex were, so at least they didn't have that problem.

:what: :what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what:

Arcanum's TB combat > combat in Fallout 3, at least.

LOL that's like choosing between two turds. Sane people don't make a choice between the two.

thesoup

Arcane
So if F3 was, quality wise, the same in every other aspect as FO1 /2 save for the perspective

Well, it's not is it?

But, yes, it would still be shitty. Not as shitty as it is now, but still shitty. Retarded combat where you run around and bash everything on the head while waiting for godmode to recharge will ruin everything. If you think this combat is on the same level as the one Fallout 1&2 or even as the one in Arcanum, you're a moron. PERIOD.
As I stated, disregard VATS which is shit to everyone with half a brain. The sole FPS mechanics are no worse than F1/2's tb combat mechanics.

Both you and Syril are so mind bogglingly narrow minded and fanboyish that you're, ironically, the same as TB bashing, DS / Skyrim loving, romance insisting retards, only on the other side of the spectrum. You're an extreme case and all extreme cases are an embarrassing display.

Fucking fanboys; how do they work?:rpgcodex:

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
Isn't E3 very soon? What day and time of the E3 will Fallout 4 be announced? I hope they announce a sequel to the Point Lookout DLC. I want anchorage either substituted for more content in Zeta/Pitt 2 or take its gameplay and merge it with Broken Steel 2.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
As I stated, disregard VATS which is shit to everyone with half a brain. The sole FPS mechanics are no worse than F1/2's tb combat mechanics.

Both you and Syril are so mind bogglingly narrow minded and fanboyish that you're, ironically, the same as TB bashing, DS / Skyrim loving, romance insisting retards, only on the other side of the spectrum. You're an extreme case and all extreme cases are an embarrassing display.

Fucking fanboys; how do they work?:rpgcodex:

Combat mechanics cannot be magically isolated into a vacuum. When you initiate combat, it constantly queries the core engine for data on the actors that participate in the combat.

In F1/2 characters actually had stats that mattered. Stats that affected how much they can move during combat, how well they aim. The combat was more nuanced - there were criticals, and as I recall, weapons could jam, for one - and that was probably affected by something like "Luck".

In Fallout3, your stats are numbers displayed for the "old-timers" to look at, but in the game they mean jack shit. As result, the combat is a hollow, pointless competition in length of health bars.

No one can accuse FO1/2 combat of being a pinnacle of strategy, but that's like expecting deep dialogue trees from X-Com. It did, deliver, however, on the basics.

FO3 did not. Not in combat, not anywhere else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom