Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

aris

Arcane
Codex-hivemind drones are hilarious :lol:

:xBAN EVERYONE THAT THINKS DIFFERENTLY:x

aris

Arcane
Arcanum had shit combat. I didn't know which was worse, RT or TB. And yes, Fallout 1 combat wasn't as deep as for example JA2 combat, but it was surely fuckton better than what you suggest. Everything should be real time, so that "tedious" combat is at least faster? :retarded::decline:
I didn't suggest implementing the ruleset or implementation of the combat in arcanum, which is about ten-times more complex than the combat in fallout, I suggested keeping the combat system of fallout 1, but havind had the option to turn on the RT/TB-system of arcanum. I also wasn't even remotely close to saying that everything should be real time. Damn, sometimes I swear that half of the codexers can't read for shit, and that they're just guessing what's written.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
BAN EVERYONE THAT THINKS DIFFERENTLY

A case of thinking differently would be to have a different setting or a different story and not a basic change in game mechanic that defines the whole genre.
It's a case of having a good rpg vs having a shitty arpg. If you want to play a shitty biowhore arpg, be my guest, go to biotard forum but don't spoil our prestigious gaming forum with your untermensch fluids.

ban gaudaost

attackfighter

Magister
While Fallout 3 was shit, I enjoyed the hell out of New Vegas. So if Bethesda makes Fallout 4 I'll skip that and wait for the inevitable Obsidian sequel.

First post after a year of lurking and already a beth bash and Obsidian praise..... you have a bright future ahead of you waiting in the Codex.
Word. I still don't understand how people think that Fallout 3 is horrible, while New Vegas is excellent. It has better writing, sure, but not much better. And everything else, that was oh so decline when fallout 3 came out, remains: Like the change to first person, it has pop-a-mole action, pop-a-mole graphics (whatever that means, I did see someone on the codex describe the graphics in skyrim as such though, so it probably also applies here) and pop-a-mole voice acting.

Writing is actually good. Writing in FO3 was a joke. Quest structures, branching and c&c are the best in any FO game. That includes FO1. It's a brilliant game delivered in an unfortunate medium but would otherwise not be delivered at all.

Also there are more skill checks and less skill points, the maps and hubs are better designed and the world feels more dangerous/less level scaled.

Obsidian improved the game in every area it realistically could have, considering stuff like changing combat was probably out of the question due to Bethesda influence and tight schedule.

attackfighter

Magister
Fallout died with 1.

Possibly, but the fact making these two antagonists give up is so easy and instantaneous is awful writing either way. At least in Fallout 1 you had an okay argument, though.

The day will come when a diplomatic solution means more than two minutes of passing speech passes or showing evidence near the end of the game. Or maybe it won't.

Deus Ex 3 motherfucker. Best. Dialogue. Combat. System. Evar!!!

attackfighter

Magister
Wow seeing Syril and Gaudofaggot catfight on the last page was satisfying. Clash of the retards:smug:

aris

Arcane
Going to another forum, where everyone thinks just like me: The primary motivation for hivedrones to lurk at the codex, wouldn't bring even me half the lulz compared to staying here. It would also be boring.

Anyway, this time, I don't see what the fuss is all about. The suggestion that fallout 1 could have been better, had it had the option to turn on the same RT/TB hybrid as in arcanum, but otherwise changing nothing, is uncontrovertial to say the least. Unless of course, you are a religious fallout1 zealots, who thinks that fallout 1 can't be faulted, and that it is the perfection creation among video games, a belief held by disturbingly many on the codex. Hell, it would even be piss easy to implement, and can probably still be made with mods. It would be free winz for everyone: For those who think that the only good combat is turn-based combat, and for others, like me, who did not see the point of having TB-combat in fallout 1.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Also, awesome writing in New Vegas! Doctor finds and heals you but can't tell if you're a man or a woman and has to ask you. :retarded:
For that alone this game deserves not to give it a second look.

Going to another forum, where everyone thinks just like me: The primary motivation for hivedrones to lurk at the codex, wouldn't bring even me half the lulz compared to staying here. It would also be boring.

Anyway, I don't see what the fuss is all about. The suggestion that fallout 1 could have been better, had it had the option to turn on the same RT/TB hybrid as in arcanum, but otherwise changing nothing, is uncontrovertial to say the least. Hell, it would even be piss easy to implement, and can probably still be made with mods. It would be free winz for everyone: For those who think that the only good combat is turn-based combat, and for others, like me, who did not see the point of having TB-combat in fallout 1.

Why, yes, excellent way of thinking. That's why today, everybody wins, because publishers and developers realized that truth, and today we are at the pinnacle of golden age of gaming! It's all so seamlessly streamlined that everybody can enjoy it, from hardcore gamers to people that just wanna have fun with their games! :roll:

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
Improve on the turnbased combat of fallout, not tack on another combat option that'll probably be unbalanced.

Improve on the turnbased combat of fallout, not tack on another combat option that'll probably be unbalanced.

Well look what glorious combats we have today, when 99% of the games are RT combats! Surely we have progressed to unprecedented heights with that formula!

What is inherently wrong with RT combat is that it (in 99% cases) eliminates thinking and relies on reflexes. While that is fine for some genres of games, I do not think it is appropriate for rpg games, because their roots lie in pnp and they are inherently better turn based with tactical thinking, so improve TB combat to make it more interesting - YES, but make it real time? FUCK NO.

aris

Arcane
Yeah, that would also work. But I'm not sure if you understand the way RT combat in arcanum was implemented. It was sped up TB combat with autuomatic end turn. There is no unbalance, if it's not unbalanced turn based.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
Yeah, that would also work. But I'm not sure if you understand the way RT combat in arcanum was implemented. It was sped up TB combat with autuomatic end turn. There is no unbalance, if it's not unbalanced turn based.
Compare fighting the golems in the Black Mountain Clan in tb to rt.

grotsnik

Arcane
Also, awesome writing in New Vegas! Doctor finds and heals you but can't tell if you're a man or a woman and has to ask you. :retarded:
For that alone this game deserves not to give it a second look.

I don't think that happens. IIRC, It's Fallout 3 that has the 'Are you a boy or a girl?' moment - New Vegas just incorporates gender into the facial editor. The doctor says something vague about seeing the results of his surgery for yourself.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't think that happens. IIRC, It's Fallout 3 that has the 'Are you a boy or a girl?' moment - New Vegas just incorporates gender into the facial editor. The doctor says something vague about seeing the results of his surgery for yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-nWMMT8BUVs#t=105s

It's not direct, but the first thing you get to choose after "you let me know if I left anything out of place" is the sex.

The whole character creation is fucking retarded (which MIGHT be Bethesda's fault since they insist of having this "immersive" shit), but even the dialog with this doctor Mitchell is stupid. And in the several hours I played, I haven't seen it get much better. It may not be full-retard like Bethesda's (although it has its share of WTF moments), but it's not something to brag about either.

Untermensch

Augur
Newfags trying to debate with the Codex-drones??????? LAAAAAWLLLLLL
gaudaost you are wasting your time arguing with morons like Syrill. Try to pick a non-retared poster(yeah that's hard) to debate with.

On topic: Bethesda, unfortunatly, is certanly working on Fallout 4. Skyrim DLC doesn't need a large team, so the mayority must be working on a new game.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Of course they are working on it, they're not going to kill a million making franchise, duh.

The point is it's unlikely they will be announcing anything about it at E3 2012.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
No matter how bad that was, FO3 and NV is ten times worse.
But anyway, Syril is a teenager fucktard who's trying too hard to fit in. Don't bother with him.

attackfighter

Magister
Fallout's combat was terrible, though. I can't imagine why you'd like it if you weren't a storyfag.

Well the art direction, music and non-linearity made it a very... immersive experience I guess you could say. Although perhaps you could count art and music under storyfag elements, since they don't fall under gameplay elements. Whatever the case, there are a lot of things going for Fallout 1 and it's a case of the whole being superior than any of the individual parts. If you focus just on gameplay it looks simple and repetitive; focus just on music and it's Aphex Twins rip-off; looking purely at writing you see overall decent premise filled with moments of stupidity. Only by looking at the whole do you see that it's a gem.

FeelTheRads said:
It's not direct, but the first thing you get to choose after "you let me know if I left anything out of place" is the sex.

The whole character creation is fucking retarded (which MIGHT be Bethesda's fault since they insist of having this "immersive" shit), but even the dialog with this doctor Mitchell is stupid. And in the several hours I played, I haven't seen it get much better. It may not be full-retard like Bethesda's (although it has its share of WTF moments), but it's not something to brag about either.

I don't see what's stupid about it, he's basically just handing you a form that he previously filled out and wants you to have a look over. It's similar to the Morrowind opening, which I've never seen complaints about and personally consider fairly good. I'd say the writing is actually better than Fallout 1's (and certainly F2's) in regards to dialogue, although there are indeed some major fuck-ups here and there in other areas (stuff like the Ghouls flying into space or the way they handled the Legion for example). It's no VtmB, but it's no Fallout 2/3 either. I'd say the writing is commendable.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
gaudaost - just use SFall to speed it up ffs. It'd be an unpleasant clusterfuck with real time and no it wouldn't be exactly the same. Just look at Fallout Tactics.

(absolutely retarded combat, but then you'll have shitheads who think it's somehow better than Arcanum's combat)
It is. :smug:

Josh Sawyer knows more about good weapon balancing than that poof Tim Cain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom