Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

It also played like shit thanks to VATS aka Godmode and the FPS part was so laughable with tons of bullet sponges who have worse AI than the radiant retards from Oblividerp.

I'll keep replying to posts like this in the vain hope that my comments will improve people's experiences with F3/FNV:

You CAN improve F3/NV combat from terrible to decent with a few simple steps:

1) do NOT use VATs at all, it is a cheating mode that has no place in anything
2) install a mod that lowers hitpoints across the board (for you, enemies, NPCs, etc), these mods are already available for both games, Project Nevada and Sawyer's mod both do this for NV, there is one mod that does it for F3, forgot the name, or you can make a mod that does this yourself in 10 minutes in the editor
3) play NV on hardcore mode, and for F3, install a mod (available on Nexus) that makes stimpaks heal over time, both of these will nerf the worst exploit in those games (unlimited timeout stimpak healing) and make stimpaks work like in the first 2 games
4) if you intend to play a long range sniper, install "no auto aim" mod from nexus, it disables auto-aim for long range shooting, for shorter range shooting I don't think it matters much
5) install a mod from nexus that prevents NPCs from dodging your bullets at short range (they do this by default, I guess to encourage people to use VATs at short range, but it's just stupid), I forgot the mod name but if anyone needs it, I can link it later

Voila, these 5 steps later, you have a combat system that's a halfway decent FPS, especially in NV with iron sights.

As far as F3 vs Oblivion, to me F3 is much better. They both have shitty writing and dialogue, but modded combat in F3 is much better, and exploration is better as well. Oblivion had Fort #34214 and High Elf Ruins #54993 and it was all exactly the same. F3 got repetitive too after a while, but there was more variety at first.

5) install a mod from nexus that prevents NPCs from dodging your bullets at short range (they do this by default, I guess to encourage people to use VATs at short range, but it's just stupid), I forgot the mod name but if anyone needs it, I can link it later
Huh. I was unaware of this "feature". Are you sure you're not just referring to the established fact that the position of the UI crosshair is completely misleading when not looking through a scope? Either way it's still fucking :retarded:.

Huh. I was unaware of this "feature". Are you sure you're not just referring to the established fact that the position of the UI crosshair is completely misleading when not looking through a scope? Either way it's still fucking :retarded:.

No, this is definitely a thing. Most people probably don't notice it because they use VATs, but with standard FPS action, if you try to shoot someone at close/medium range, they will often sidestep very quickly (at unrealistically high speed), as if they know where your reticle is and are trying to avoid it). Here is the mod if you are interested:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/37141/?

BTW, staying on topic of Bethesda's design brilliance, the crosshair is AND is not misleading. The weapon barrels are not aligned with it in 3D, so it is misleading in that sense, on top of which bullets come out from somewhere under the barrel anyway. :) But, to compensate for that, Bethesda's auto-aim feature re-aligns the bullet in flight, bending its path to meet the crosshair. Which might or might not be worse or better, but is surely insane in the Bethesda way.

And speaking of brilliant Oblivion AI, let's not forget the psychic guards. I killed everyone in the Lovecraft village, including the cultists who did not fight back and the one who was having second thoughts about the sacrifice, because fuck cultists. Anyway, those last guys registered as unprovoked murders, which triggered the "Your crime has been observed by someone..." line from the Dark BROtherhood questline. It's a bit absurd since we were in the underground caverns of some backwater village, but whatever, Lucien is supposed to be following you while invisible. Then I go back to Chorrol to collect my reward and near the city gates a guard comes running in my direction. Thinking this is part of the quest and he'll thank me for rescuing the girl, I stay still.

"BREAK THE LAW ON MY WATCH, WILL YA?"

And then he takes my stolen goods, including the apples I got from a cupboard on that village.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Bethesda starting to sale Brotherhood of Steel necklaces on 30th of june after E3. Getting ready for the hype?

The gears are our engineering knowledge, the sword is our will to defend ourselves, the wings are our uplifting hope and the circle is our fraternal unity. Without us, humanity is sure to perish.

etc-jewelry-fo-brotherhood-thumb.jpg

etc-jewelry-fo-brotherhood-back.jpg

http://store.bethsoft.com/brotherhood-of-steel-necklace.html

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Why BoS and not something more general about Fallout? Do they still insist on making Brotherhood of Fags a major group in Fallout 4? Enclave will probably be the main villains as well.

Todd be with you.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Why BoS and not something more general about Fallout? Do they still insist on making Brotherhood of Fags a major group in Fallout 4? Enclave will probably be the main villains as well.

Todd be with you.

Bos and Enclave have to be in , it's not Fallout without them !

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Yes and Bos also, they even have the original power armors from fallout 2 and not the derpy crap from fallout 3.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm sure there will be a BoS contingent in FO4, but probably 'off to the side' like they were in New Vegas. Enclave probably not present at all.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Eh, I thought those guys were mostly around Washington. It's a pretty long way (post nuclear holocaust speaking) from D.C. to Boston.

Modron

Arcane
Eh, I thought those guys were mostly around Washington. It's a pretty long way (post nuclear holocaust speaking) from D.C. to Boston.

Was a pretty long way from the west coast to DC for the Super Mutants and BoS as well, not like Bethesda game worlds have to display any continuity/reasoning when it comes to world building. Hell there are more super mutants in DC than the Mojave which is rather close to where they were spawned. I guess it wouldn't be a huge stretch to say Enclave presence makes more sense if you make Poseidon headquartered on the east coast and so forth.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well, I meant that wouldn't Lyons guys stay around DC rather than make excursions as far north as Boston. Although I'm sure they can just say they're on a SEKRIT MISSHUN!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, I meant that wouldn't Lyons guys stay around DC rather than make excursions as far north as Boston. Although I'm sure they can just say they're on a SEKRIT MISSHUN!
Do you actually think Bethesda puts this much thought into their writing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom