Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I can see it now

Guilermo Del torro presents.......

/audience 4 what ? TODD COME ON FFS

4 Fall...

/audience FALLOUT 4 :happytrollboy:

Doom 4 this Fall......

/audience :0-13:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Which I'm sure totally isn't Gamebryo v3.

Indeed, just like Skyrim had a totally new, totally not Gamebryo engine. I guess Bethesda is just too deeply in love with the beautiful engine.

http://peter.corrosivetruths.org/2011/12/21/is-skyrims-creation-just-gamebryo/

034.jpg

buzz

Arcane
Probably not the hottest opinion, but I'd rather take an updated Gamebryo than something new. At least Skyrim wasn't as buggy as FO3 and Oblivion, which implies they're getting used with it. And it has great modding tools.

A new engine might not be as mod-friendly as Gamebryo was and they might fuck it up hard under new tech. At least id is making it, so the potential to mod is still there.

Azeot

Arbiter
A new engine might not be as mod-friendly as Gamebryo was
They will make it mod unfriendly by having paid mods only anyway

and they might fuck it up hard under new tech. At least id is making it, so the potential to mod is still there.
It's bethesda... do you really think they won't fuck it up even with a tried and tested engine? They will do it regardless, just like Creative Assembly managed to fuck up Rome 2 with the Warscape engine they had for many, many years and titles. You don't need "trusted tech", you need competent developers and publishers and, alas, those are a dying breed.

pippin

Probably not the hottest opinion, but I'd rather take an updated Gamebryo than something new. At least Skyrim wasn't as buggy as FO3 and Oblivion, which implies they're getting used with it. And it has great modding tools.

A new engine might not be as mod-friendly as Gamebryo was and they might fuck it up hard under new tech. At least id is making it, so the potential to mod is still there.

Recent events should make you realize the implications of building a new engine for your game.
However, I do think it would be potentially good, in the sense that my game wouldn't be crashing because there were 3 super mutants on screen. I only wish they give Obsidian a chance to make another "spinoff" game, so Bethesda can leave the story of New Vegas alone. I woudln't like them to handle anything post Hoover Dam Battle 2 with the same characters and factions.
I'd rather have them building upon their own fuckups in 3 rather than trying to include stuff from New Vegas, story wise. The android man was probably the most engaging thing for me in 3, so I expect to see more of that.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Hopefully the fact that New Vegas sold better than Fallout 3 has convinced Bethesda that a game doesn't need to be made for retards to be successful. Skyrim was also a big improvement over Oblivion.
So Fallout 4 might not be completely hopeless like Failout 3 was, there is some hope it can be played without causing brain damage. Assuming they don't kill it with stupid attempts at "dark humor" that is, and once mods fix the gameplay.

Lemming42

Arcane
It's gonna be interesting to see how they handle the main quest in terms of linearity. Compare Fallout 3 (you have to help the BoS, you have to destroy the Enclave, you have to rescue Dad, you have to go to super-mutant-vault, etc) with New Vegas (join a number of distinct factions, approach quests as you see fit, numerous opportunities to switch alliances or betray people etc). The only control you had over the events that were happening to you in Fo3 was that you could whine loudly about it to everyone you met ("FUCK YOU DAD")

Bethesda showed a characteristically botched attempt at nonlinearity with the atrocious Civil War questline in Skyrim but the main quest was still just the player being pushed through a series of events without any agency to change what was happening. I've got a feeling they'll take another shot at it in Fo4 after seeing how Obsidian handled it in NV. If nothing else, it'll be a good laugh when it all goes completely wrong.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Probably not the hottest opinion, but I'd rather take an updated Gamebryo than something new. At least Skyrim wasn't as buggy as FO3 and Oblivion

Then again you could reproduce bugs from all the way to Morrowind with it they haven't bothered fixing.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It's gonna be interesting to see how they handle the main quest in terms of linearity. Compare Fallout 3 (you have to help the BoS, you have to destroy the Enclave, you have to rescue Dad, you have to go to super-mutant-vault, etc) with New Vegas (join a number of distinct factions, approach quests as you see fit, numerous opportunities to switch alliances or betray people etc). The only control you had over the events that were happening to you in Fo3 was that you could whine loudly about it to everyone you met ("FUCK YOU DAD")

Bethesda showed a characteristically botched attempt at nonlinearity with the atrocious Civil War questline in Skyrim but the main quest was still just the player being pushed through a series of events without any agency to change what was happening. I've got a feeling they'll take another shot at it in Fo4 after seeing how Obsidian handled it in NV. If nothing else, it'll be a good laugh when it all goes completely wrong.

Well, some Fallout 3 fans complained about the "forced replay value of New Vegas", meaning that not being able to do everything in one playthrough is a bad thing. Maybe Bethesda will listen to this [Intelligent] fan base of theirs and go linear route once again.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
At the very least I expect them to have some secondary factions and rep mechanics. It would look really bad if they didn't after New Vegas. I'm also optimistic that they'll follow up on NV's hardcore mode, especially since camping sim mods are so popular in Skyrim.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Hopefully the fact that New Vegas sold better than Fallout 3 has convinced Bethesda that a game doesn't need to be made for retards to be successful. Skyrim was also a big improvement over Oblivion.
So Fallout 4 might not be completely hopeless like Failout 3 was, there is some hope it can be played without causing brain damage. Assuming they don't kill it with stupid attempts at "dark humor" that is, and once mods fix the gameplay.
Paid mods you mean. Don't count on that.

pippin

the player being pushed through a series of events without any agency to change what was happening.

That could be done right if you had decent artists and writers working on your game. At leatst it would be a change from the american fantasy of the chosen one.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
There's no practical way to prohibit free mods in a single player game while still leaving it possible for modders to make mods that can be sold, so free mods aren't going away anytime soon.

ArchAngel

Arcane
There's no practical way to prohibit free mods in a single player game while still leaving it possible for modders to make mods that can be sold, so free mods aren't going away anytime soon.
Yes, but those mods that will fix the game in any noticeable way will not be free. You can count on that.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Yes, but those mods that will fix the game in any noticeable way will not be free. You can count on that.
I count on the opposite actually. There are too many modders out there with no interest in earning some extra pocket change by whoring out their mods. While there may be some gameplay fixing mods that go pay to play, there will be plenty of free ones as well.

Of course, no mod is going to be able to fix the stupid plot that Bethesda will most likely burden us with...

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Fallout 4 to be running on the new Void engine ?

Name of new game engine powered by id Tech trademarked by Bethesda parent company Zenimax.

Fallout, Dishonored parent company trademarks Void Engine

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fa...-company-trademarks-void-engine/1100-6416178/

This is a bunch of bullshit. There is only idTech 5, which is a piece of shit, and id Tech 6, which effectively is only one year in development (while F4 must have already been in development for 3-4 years).

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Don't worry. It's not like it's being developed by Obsidian :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom