Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
you just posted an oblivion video to disprove that radiant AI is what they described.. aka you are stupid.

A prerelease video that has all the promises the devs made. The video itself is not worth anything (the sequences are all scripted for demoing to E3), it's the audio part you should care to listen to, dumbfuck.

The video doesn't show "radiant ai doing what they described" unless you think a scripted demo that has never been reproduced in actual gameplay is evidence of anything.

I feel like if I listen to that entire video I will be a dumb fuck. It's making my eyes hurt.

I was referring to their claims of what Radiant AI would be for Skyrim, It was more or less what I thought it would be based on the interview Todd Howard gave. I really wasn't hyped by what he described it as.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I don't think/remember them hyping radiant shit a second time with Skyrim, but they did bullshit in a lot of other ways such as
[MrSmileyFaceDude] "I know you don't want to hear it, but you're just going to have to trust us that the dialogue is better than Morrowind's."
[Todd] "As you play, you start to figure out what you can do with these NPCs, and how you can influence their behavior, and when doing a quest, it really comes into play. A simple 'get the diamond from that guy...' quest can be done in hundreds of ways now."
[Pete] "Honestly, and this is just my opinion, I think the hardcore RPG guys are going to love what we have in store for them in Oblivion. The depth, the level of polish...it crushes Morrowind. That doesn't mean that other people won't want to buy it and play it because it's a beautiful game that has fun combat and cool quests. We'll make enough copies for everyone."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "You'll be reading LOTS of stuff. All of the quest lines are much more in depth, challenging and interesting. And there's a heck of a lot more to the game than just the guilds and the main quest. Lots and lots of other things to do that haven't been mentioned. Stats play a huge, huge role. Class actually has meaning this time. The game is better balanced. You have more rewards for advancement besides just getting better at things. The dungeons are better designed, the NPCs are more interesting, the dialogue is better written.

If you think this is a simple, dumbed down hack & slash, you couldn't be more wrong."
[Slateman] "While I cannot go into detail, rest assured that even players who max out a bunch of skills will discover challenges in this game. We didn't leave you guys out "
[MattRyan] "We are gamers. We have given tons of time toward the balance of gameplay. Asside from the designers, artists, programmers, and producers.... our staff of QA testers are extremely good at exploiting our game systems and looking for loopholes in gameplay, or shortfalls in fun vs. realism.
[MrSmileyFaceDude] "I absolutely guarantee that they'll be able to make mods that will completely blow away anything we saw for Morrowind, using the new Construction Set."

Radiant AI is only the tip of the iceberg.
To actually think that Bethesda isn't prone to masterbullshitting prerelease is showing a lot of either ignorance or naivety, or maybe even both. And deserving of a dumbfuck!! tag.

Whatever Beth intends to release first on next gen, it won't be released without a lot of prerelease hype and bullshots, particularly for their first entry into new platforms.

EDIT:
Oh, I forgot the best developer quote for lolblivion:
[MrSmileyFaceDude] "The compass, the quest marker and compass icons, are NOT the hand-holding, dumbing down babysitter some folks paint them out to be."

Last edited:

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
prediction: fallout 4 takes place in new york city, i've noticed that a level designer from bgs has been to nyc quite a few random times in the last two years. It's just a wild guess, but it kinda makes sense as well.
And you can run across it in five minutes.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
In regards to the bullshotting stuff: It was more that they found out that they couldn't do that. For one, Radiant Ai in its originally designed form would of broken the game systems, npcs were doing things that in the end took away content/enjoyment out of the player. Secondly, dynamic shadows were cut mainly due to the 360's inability to handle them. It is worth pointing out as well that shortly after e3 2005 the team discovered there was too much game for two disks, leading to a large amount of content cut, so far the only thing that has been confirmed was that originally each city was to have an arena. And that the arenas were going to be a more epic questline with touring, this was fully implemented by the way but had to be cut due to the size problems.

Same with Skyrim, their economy system ended up causing a shit-ton of issues as well, and the civil war was either cut down heavily due to time restrictions or the fact that if you restore it on an unmodded game it crashes the whole engine. So, who knows, maybe the next generation will finally give Bethesda the opportunity to see their design ideas through to the finish line. Also, before I forget, I'm assuming the reason that we don't get to see their games until they're essentially near-complete is a consequence of the problems in development. That, plus, the gaming community hasn't yet realised that the demos at e3 often are just the Developers way of saying, "Hey, this is what we WANT the final game to look like, it looks like shit internally but we're building up to this vision."

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
[MrSmileyFaceDude] "I know you don't want to hear it, but you're just going to have to trust us that the dialogue is better than Morrowind's."

There's a lot of bullshit, particularly coming from MrSmileyFag (who used to post on the codex) that has nothing to do with development woes though, and were just straight out bullshit. You're being naive in a cute way if you think they never lied intently. Same for when he talks about the quest compass not dumbing down anything. The PR bullshit was over 9000 for oblivion.

I requote that one again too, pretty funny shit in retrospect.

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "You'll be reading LOTS of stuff. All of the quest lines are much more in depth, challenging and interesting. And there's a heck of a lot more to the game than just the guilds and the main quest. Lots and lots of other things to do that haven't been mentioned. Stats play a huge, huge role. Class actually has meaning this time :derp:
H1HpfQC.jpg
The game is better balanced. You have more rewards for advancement besides just getting better at things. The dungeons are better designed, the NPCs are more interesting, the dialogue is better written.

Again, either naive, ignorant or, I'll add a third moniker, maybe a shill, to believe that this is not pure, unadulterated lying through their teeth. People who have really been there and saw all that bullshit machine remember.

Last edited:
Come on, now. The whole Radiant AI thing was a disaster and still evokes smiles on :obviously:. They promised advanced AI that would have needs and goals and figure out on its own how to satisfy and attain them in various ways bringing the world to life. What we got was a game where NPC AI was dumber than a rock, where NPCs would fight each other instead of you due to friendly fire, their schedules revolved around pacing from one spot to another while engaging in shallow pointless repetitive dialogue, and the only hint of dynamic AI was some players discovering (after hundreds of hours playing) some NPCs storing dead bodies in their houses.

I read an interview somewhere, might have been linked here, with one of Oblivion's AI devs, who claimed they developed a powerful toolkit with lots of AI scripts, but the designers didn't use it for some reason, according to him. If I remember correctly, you had to hard-code the scripts for each NPC or something like that, and considering how many NPCs there were in Oblivion, that wasn't really practical. Which, if that was the case, doesn't make it true AI either, it's scripts which have to be hard-coded by human designers in each context, True AI is something that can run on its own.

It's also true that truly dynamic AI probably wouldn't fit well within a game with a static story and world. It needs to be in a procedural world, but whose fault is it then that Bethesda marketed it for Oblivion? Look at the first 2 Gothic games, much less marketing, no advanced AI, but they used their NPC scripts to go where Bethesda can only dream of.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Come on, now. The whole Radiant AI thing was a disaster and still evokes smiles on :obviously:. They promised advanced AI that would have needs and goals and figure out on its own how to satisfy and attain them in various ways bringing the world to life. What we got was a game where NPC AI was dumber than a rock, where NPCs would fight each other instead of you due to friendly fire, their schedules revolved around pacing from one spot to another while engaging in shallow pointless repetitive dialogue, and the only hint of dynamic AI was some players discovering (after hundreds of hours playing) some NPCs storing dead bodies in their houses.

I read an interview somewhere, might have been linked here, with one of Oblivion's AI devs, who claimed they developed a powerful toolkit with lots of AI scripts, but the designers didn't use it for some reason, according to him. If I remember correctly, you had to hard-code the scripts for each NPC or something like that, and considering how many NPCs there were in Oblivion, that wasn't really practical. Which, if that was the case, doesn't make it true AI either, it's scripts which have to be hard-coded by human designers in each context, True AI is something that can run on its own.

It's also true that truly dynamic AI probably wouldn't fit well within a game with a static story and world. It needs to be in a procedural world, but whose fault is it then that Bethesda marketed it for Oblivion? Look at the first 2 Gothic games, much less marketing, no advanced AI, but they used their NPC scripts to go where Bethesda can only dream of.

Why are you talking about Oblivion still? The game was shit - not sure who you are trying to prove that to.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
First teaser trailer! Seems the game has been outsourced to Golden Era Games, here's hoping that Cleveland Mark Blakemore will do justice to the Fallout series and bring back turn based mode. What a time to be alive!

naossano

Cipher
First teaser trailer! Seems the game has been outsourced to Golden Era Games, here's hoping that Cleveland Mark Blakemore will do justice to the Fallout series and bring back turn based mode. What a time to be alive!

We might get the next Fallout on 2077 after all.:D

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Night Goat: I wouldn't mind having psionic abilities in fallout

aweigh: dual wielding guns, dual wielding 1 gun in 1 hand and a spell in the other, and dual wielding a gun and a power gauntlet !!! fuck yeah. bethesda better include being able to enchant bullets too

agentorange: the Fallout world does have psionic abilities. the Master had psychic powers, as did some people in the cathedral vault

aweigh: you get your Vault Powers after finding a mysterious Pip-Boy in a spooky graveyard near boston. it starts spreading midichlorines thru your body and you have to choose light or dark side also powers change depending on that.

treave: FO4 will take a page from DAI and feature a stronghold with missions.
treave: Timed missions.

Ed123: daedric bullets 5 dollars a pop

Night Goat: Dr. Dindu Nuffin
Night Goat: it'll also take a page from PoE and have that stronghold be totally fucking uselesss

aweigh: first huge moral choice is very early as soon as opening cinematic ends with u putting on the magic Pip-Boy you hear a scream so you go over there and there is a a super mutant saving the life of a little girl who fell down a well, but you can see next to him 3 dead BoS paladins so u have to choose

treave: Nah, Beth won't be that bad

Ed123: beth needs to focus on gud animashuns and hooks for rape mods

RK47: Hee heee

aweigh: once you decide what to choose you save the little girl and she teaches you your first Vault Bolt, each press of the trigger releases: if light side wicked looking arcs of electricity a la emperor palpatine, but if dark side glowing green radiation skulls that fly screaming at the enemy. using these vault spells is very draining so you have to find Harry's Tree, a well-known Tavern in boston.

aweigh: feel free to join in guise.

RK47: crazy

aweigh: has to be utterly retarded but somewhat almost close enough to something bethesda would really do

aweigh: then the cops arrive and then they get taken captive by a patrol of BoS paladins who arrive in brand-new camo-tech on their armor

aweigh: first npc you meet is a little ghoul kid dressed like a newsie from a disney movie shouting extra extra but he stops to talk to u he greets you as the great savior of megaton, but u say hey i nuked that place, and the kid then says i know right you did great (focus testing shows kids love dark humor!)

aweigh: in harry's Tavern (which has a tree full of vines covering the entrance but the vines move aside magically when you arrive) you ask for grey fox rumors and you learn Dogmeat is alive and suddenly you go unconscious as prophetic visions of Dogmeat running headlong into dominos causing them all to fall over. when you wake up you get MAIN QUEST: Consequences Expired. tje Ballad of Dogmeat.

aweigh: i'll stop there cos i dont want to spoil the whole game for you guise ok

Robert Jarzebina: what game is that aweigh?

aweigh: godamnit you philistine fucking fo4

Robert Jarzebina: why are you so agressive, do you have some issues?

Ed123: djinn and tonic

aweigh: side quests are plentiful: choose whether to tip Harry for his help or kill him. After you choose you get a new Vault Spell allows you to super-heat your gun bullets to 1 million degrees and do fire DoT. when this happens the magic pip-boy you are wearing spreads black veins over ur arm, as your very soul is in peril in this grand aventure.

Ed123: i was walkin
Ed123: down a one-way street
Ed123: dun dun dun dun

treave: This is not normal

Robert Jarzebina: what game is that aweigh? never played it

Ed123: ace of djinn
Ed123: aweigh of the tiger

treave: Polymorphism mutations in the Q amino acid means that I have to account for that when designing

aweigh: oh god don't start with the fake science babble again

Ed123: polykemosabe

treave: If only, aweigh.

Ed123: dog paladin

aweigh: oh god yes. i have faith bethesda will introduce dog BoS

Night Goat: XD

root: that's no dog

aweigh: not only w/ doggie power armor also with a doggie sized minigun mounted on his head

Ed123: heat-seeking monorails

aweigh: guise, what should be the final vault spell the vaultcaster learns when nearning the end of fo4?

Night Goat: at one point you'll have to choose whether a dog or a human dies
Night Goat: saving the human will give negative karma

aweigh: goat, but right after the scene you find an abandoned genetics plant with a vat full of goo that brings ppl to life .

Ed123: give dah people wat dey want

Night Goat: the final spell will allow you to create bottlecaps from nothing

kazgar: aweigh: before or after they learn summon supermutant?

Robert Jarzebina: aweigh I doubt FO4 will be so bad

Night Goat: each casting will drain all of your pip-boy energy to create 100 caps

Night Goat: make that 10, 100 would be overpowered

aweigh: you doubt fo4 will be so bad?
aweigh: you doubt?
aweigh: fo4 wishes it had something as good as a doggie paladin

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Part of me hopes they don't announce Fallout 4 at E3. Cataclysmic butthurt would ensue. Lulz would be had. Nerd rage riots would sweep America.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
All of those are features and not bugs, do you know how much time they had to spend to code a wall that you can see through or those physics where he flies 30 meters into the sky.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Of course, Bethesda games don't have bugs, they are just funny features.

1rueit.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom