Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Fallout 4 Far Harbor DLC contains quest stolen from Codexer-developed New Vegas mod

Mozg

Arcane
All I ask is one nigga on Earth actually play Autumn Leaves and Brain Dead both in one nigga life before speaking

Black Angel

Arcane
tumblr_inline_o9cdelG8511rtbkes_1280.png

tumblr_inline_o9a3p11Yai1rtbkes_500.png

Personally, I haven't played Fallout 4 (and will never be), and also I haven't tried Autumn Leaves. But there's been people calling this out for sometime, which is most probably the cause for the moddb article to be written in the first place.

However, it would be nice if there's anyone here who DO played both and can give summary on both.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yeah and Terminator wasn't an exact rip off of Soldier, but Harlan Ellison still got his credit.

Of course Hernandez is a known unethical shill.

Is there a credit to Ken Levine in Dead Money? :cool:

Actually, maybe there is:

latest

Interestingly, Vera Keyes and "Andrew Levine" are actually mentioned by one of the robots in Far Harbor's Brain Dead quest: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Love_Sets_Sail!

polo

Magister
Hey, its not exactly the same thing, so its not a Ripoff.
/idiots

Just in case ur sarcasm detector is shit:

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Props to the mod author for taking the right steps in dealing with this whole affair. It baffles me though, that people tried to defend this piece of shit by keep mentioning the EULA. Are ideas and writings now part of the GECK?

Unless you're pathologically lawful neutral, it's not defending Bethesda to point out that legal remedies are lacking. Bethesda is shitty, IP laws are shitty, EULAs are shitty, but they still add up to zero chance of getting any meaningful compensation in a lawsuit.

Black Angel

Arcane
Props to the mod author for taking the right steps in dealing with this whole affair. It baffles me though, that people tried to defend this piece of shit by keep mentioning the EULA. Are ideas and writings now part of the GECK?

Unless you're pathologically lawful neutral, it's not defending Bethesda to point out that legal remedies are lacking. Bethesda is shitty, IP laws are shitty, EULAs are shitty, but they still add up to zero chance of getting any meaningful compensation in a lawsuit.
Well, it's one thing to point out that, it's another to say how the content of the mod which is obviously not part of the GECK as something that Bethesda own, as if those are part of the GECK. I understood it still takes place in Fallout universe, but seriously the mod author could've realized the mod's idea as a whole new game instead or even made it a mod for another game.

Oh well, let's just endorse Autumn Leaves and enjoy it instead. It's not like Bethesda noticed that Autumn Leaves draws inspiration from Planescape: Torment, and then plagiarize that part. They couldn't even properly handle Fallout source material, no way they would be able to invoke the feelings of playing PS:T.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Well, no, making a whole new game would result in having to re-do most of the assets, writing a shit load of code, making tools to handle dialogue & quest systems etc.

Bethesda don't own anything new you make in their GECK/CK, so any new art, audio, animation, and I'm guessing dialogue you produce is owned by you, including the copyright, Bethesda have a license to it with which they can do whatever they want.

That being said, if they stole anything, it'd be an idea, a concept. Copyright--to my knowledge--does not cover ideas, where it is blurry is in that copyright does cover the form in which they are expressed. However, keep in mind the mod also does borrow from the Fallout IP in terms of its use of Bethesda's assets, and several well-known concepts that are part of the franchise. So, all in all, who fucking knows.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
No, I just feel like it's kinda hard for Bethesda to steal a 6 hour quest mod and turn it into a generic film noir murder mystery.

EDIT: Above all though, if you're gonna call me dumb, at least tell me why I'm wrong.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
No, I just feel like it's kinda hard for Bethesda to steal a 6 hour quest mod and turn it into a generic film noir murder mystery.

EDIT: Above all though, if you're gonna call me dumb, at least tell me why I'm wrong.

Come on, bros, prove my feelings wrong! I feel therefore I cannot be wrong!

Teenager, plz. If you want to suck on Bethesda's knob this might not be the best place to do it.

Septaryeth

Augur

Black Angel

Arcane
That being said, if they stole anything, it'd be an idea, a concept. Copyright--to my knowledge--does not cover ideas, where it is blurry is in that copyright does cover the form in which they are expressed. However, keep in mind the mod also does borrow from the Fallout IP in terms of its use of Bethesda's assets, and several well-known concepts that are part of the franchise. So, all in all, who fucking knows.
That's what I've been saying. And it's just shows how shady and creatively bankrupt Bethesda is. Yeah, as the bigger picture, the constant, murder mystery solving was nothing new. But the major details, the variables, like the importance of voice module, sexy moment with robot, and painting discussion, were the exact same? That still count as plagiarism.

But hey, the mod author already made it clear that he has no intention to bring this to the court or whatever, and instead just wanted to bring more attention to this whole affair so people can see for themselves, and most importantly get more people to play Autumn Leaves, endorse it if we like it and criticize it if we hate it, so he could have a ground on where he could build up his dreams on making cRPGs, so let's just do that instead of trying to convince other people that ideas, writings, and concepts are part of the GECK and therefore Bethesda could've take any quest from quest mods and use them as they like.

Chateaubryan

Cipher
Apparently, a redditor claims that I effectively have been credited in Far Harbor's credits : https://m.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace..._steals_a_fallout_new_vegas_mod_named/d5cv5yo

Any chance that someone here would be interested in checking that? I don't have Far Harbor and as a matter of fact, I don't even have Fallout 4. I searched for a while, but didn't found anything clonclusive yet. (Are there any credits in Far Harbor at all?)

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Even if so, that's still bullshit. Hey, we took your idea and are selling it for fat bucks to morons but at least we credited you. Somewhere.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Apparently, a redditor claims that I effectively have been credited in Far Harbor's credits : https://m.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace..._steals_a_fallout_new_vegas_mod_named/d5cv5yo

Any chance that someone here would be interested in checking that? I don't have Far Harbor and as a matter of fact, I don't even have Fallout 4. I searched for a while, but didn't found anything clonclusive yet. (Are there any credits in Far Harbor at all?)
I don't think he means to say that the end credit exists. He's saying that's what they should add, in reference to the post he's replying to.

What the fuck does the mod borrowing assets from the Fallout IP even mean? It's a fucking mod of a fallout game. It's like saying that orange juice borrows assets from orange trees.

How the fuck does this give license to bethesda to steal an idea without even giving credit? Not even the chinese, whose culture views the concepts of copyrights as completely alien go that far, usually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom